British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

Special Delivery only operates within the UK.

I sent the Cromwell from Dundee SCOTLAND to Glasgow SCOTLAND, here are DPDs terms, see highlighted

all parcels which do not comply with the product specifications in Section 3 and Section 4 of 
DPD's General Terms of Business for DPD CLASSIC

goods of especial value, in particular precious metals, real jewellery, precious stones, real pearls,
 antiques, art objects

money, certificates, documents, securities, credit, cheque and telephone cards, or similar forms of
 payment

vouchers and entrance tickets with a value exceeding 520.-- euros per parcel

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

Special Delivery only operates within the UK.

And the DNW was special delivery as i've had packets from DNW previously delivered via the PO agent

What has DPD terms & conditions got to do with Royal Mail Special Delivery?

Edited by Nick

8 minutes ago, azda said:

And the DNW was special delivery as i've had packets from DNW previously delivered via the PO agent

If you have received Special Delivery packets outside the UK, I'm not surprised that they wouldn't pay out.

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

What has DPD terms & conditions got to do with Royal Mail Special Delivery?

ALL couriers T&Cs are the same. Go through 1 or 2, also I'm quoting from 2 experiences this year alone, what are you quoting from, the PO website?

11 minutes ago, Nick said:

If you have received Special Delivery packets outside the UK, I'm not surprised that they wouldn't pay out.

Yeas I have received packets from the U.K to Germany, but when the last Special delivery DIDN'T arrive from DNW, DNWs INSURER had to pay out the £850 which is FAR LESS then the £2500 you are quoting, that's because the PO DON'T pay out on coins

Edited by azda

1 minute ago, azda said:

Yeas I have received packets from the U.K to Germany, but when the last Special delivery DIDN'T arrive from DNW, DNWs INSURER had to pay out the £850 which is FAR LESS then the £2500 you are quoting

It's not Special Delivery then.  Special Delivery ONLY operates within the UK.

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

It's not Special Delivery then.  Special Delivery ONLY operates within the UK.

From the PO website regarding Special delivery, read the first line, there you are left wide open for being kicked in the arse for a claim, nowhere does it state antiques or coins that are not current currency. Their interpretations can be misleading, the bottom line regarding ornamental coins, coins used for ornaments will be open to definition by the PO, a coin used in an ornament isn't a coin that is specifically collected

Our definition of money includes:

• coins & bank notes of any currency which are legal tender at the time of posting;
  • postal orders, cheques and dividend warrants uncrossed and payable to bearer;
  • unused postage and revenue stamps and National Insurance stamps; Exchequer bills, bills of exchange, promissory notes and credit notes; Bonds, bond coupons and any other investment certificates; and
  • coupons, vouchers, tickets, tokens, cards, stamps and other documents which can be exchanged in whole or in part for money, goods or services.

Our definition of jewellery includes:any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;

Edited by azda

Another quick Link regarding coins sent via Royal Mail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Compensation-For-Items-Lost-in-Transit-Using-Royal-Mail-/10000000004630833/g.html

Quick update to the above. Royal mail will pay upto a maximum of £20 for items sent with 1st or 2nd Class stamp where proof of posting and item value can be proved. Signed For has a compensation value upto a maximum of £50 and again with retained proof of posting and value. Finally Special Delivery is an automatic upto £250 or more if specified at time of posting.

Coins are definately still covered by the Royal mail Compensation Scheme as long as they are not legal tender, a term itself under a great deal of ambiguity at the moment.

The post office staff give very bad information and continuously state that coins are not covered which is simply NOT TRUE. Do not be fooled into spending too much on postage.

Edited by bhx7

14 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Another quick Link regarding coins sent via Royal Mail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Compensation-For-Items-Lost-in-Transit-Using-Royal-Mail-/10000000004630833/g.html

Quick update to the above. Royal mail will pay upto a maximum of £20 for items sent with 1st or 2nd Class stamp where proof of posting and item value can be proved. Signed For has a compensation value upto a maximum of £50 and again with retained proof of posting and value. Finally Special Delivery is an automatic upto £250 or more if specified at time of posting.

Coins are definately still covered by the Royal mail Compensation Scheme as long as they are not legal tender, a term itself under a great deal of ambiguity at the moment.

The post office staff give very bad information and continuously state that coins are not covered which is simply NOT TRUE. Do not be fooled into spending too much on postage.

Another thing you need to take into account is the requirement to "prove" value for a claim. They do not, as far as I know, accept the value bid by the buyer, or even other auction results - they want a receipt for it's purchase. So if you have a coin from an old collection, or have obtained a coin in a job lot, you are unlikely to be able to meet this requirement.

I used my Ebay sale to recoup my costs/ prove value of package. Although must admit it was only £28.

Edited by bhx7

10 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I used my Ebay sale to recoup my costs/ prove value of package. Although must admit it was only £28.

When I tried that they said Ebay sale was not proof of value. They explained they had had cons going where things were apparently sold for high value, then "lost" in post just to make money out of the claim. I can understand their point to a degree, but it still means we struggle to be covered in our posting of coins.

As an ex employee of the Devil's Haulage Line, I believe that Courier Company International Shipments are covered by the Warsaw Convention :Convention for the Unification of certain rules relating to international carriage by air.

You will be obviously reassured that this strategic document was first discussed in the 1920s and finally put into practice in the 1930s.

It's possible that the Industry has thought about up-dating the terms. If so, they've not shared those thoughts with me.

12 hours ago, bhx7 said:

A friend of mine has had several items (low value) maybe £20 ish go AWOL and all he got was first class stamps as compensation. I hope it never happens to anyone, but it will be interesting if a claim ever arises at the 4 figure level how it actually pans out.

Edited by azda

1828 Halfcrown

IMG_1442.JPG

Edited by azda
  • Like 2

Counterstamp

IMG_1441.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, Dave you do seem to find some things there. I like the '28 half crown, but the dollar is very nice as well - looks to have perhaps more purple toning in person? I haven't found anything in a very long while.

14 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, Dave you do seem to find some things there. I like the '28 half crown, but the dollar is very nice as well - looks to have perhaps more purple toning in person? I haven't found anything in a very long while.

The tone was part of the appeal of the dollar, still not in hand yet though, hopefully early next week, part of the fun being a coinie is the hunt, i think i've been lucky in the last 10 days, but sometimes you find nothing for months and sometimes things come along in abundance....

On 19/10/2016 at 9:42 PM, Guest New coins said:

I just came across the 1920 no dot Australian one penny and also the 1922 Australia n one penny can any one give me a value I would say they are both EF grade 

14768769092591038410223.jpg

14768770019261011175151.jpg

Edited by: Nordle11 - *Cleaned the post a bit, the pictures were repeated 4 or 5 times*

The 1920 is probably VG, the 1922 maybe slightly better. There are varieties of both coins but both appear to be the most common type.

Also, 1920 no dot pennies invariably tend to be dot above bottom scroll - the dots just had a bad habit of getting filled during striking.

Maybe not everyones cup of tea but the first one I have been able to find. A 1956 Half penny Obv 4 Rev C - Freeman 474 (R12). Purchased in a joblot of odds and ends for £2.

Maybe not the nicest of coins or condition but still a very happy chappie here.

1956 Halfpenny Obv 4 Rev C.jpg

• Like 8

This was the 1748 Halfpenny that turned up with the colonial coins posted before:

1748 halfpenny 1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bhx7 said:

Maybe not everyones cup of tea but the first one I have been able to find. A 1956 Half penny Obv 4 Rev C - Freeman 474 (R12). Purchased in a joblot of odds and ends for £2.

What a brilliant acquisition, very much rarer than estimates in Freeman !

• Like 1

Hat Off Brian...you are learning so much really quickly.

I would not of had a clue or the patience to spot it.

Keep being lucky and smiling ;)

Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhx7 said:

Very rare coin! Well done Brian.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2016 at 6:52 PM, bhx7 said:

Hi Guys

I have been trying to find an approximate value for my Freeman 474 but can't seem to find any for sale, being sold, etc...I am trying to fill out my catalogue sheet for it and just want to give a rough estimate of a value. Any help truly appreciated.

Thanks all in advance

Brian