British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

George II sixpence. 1741. Graded MS62

ibyBPZ.jpg

Lovely sixpence!

2 hours ago, bhx7 said:

My absolute bargain of the week. Bought a 1 kg of old pennies and this was one of the beauties I pulled out.......... COST  ..... £3.30 includuing p&p :D

That's a cracker! Where do you get a kilo of pennies for that price? :D

Hmm, it's a difficult one, they've both got their own appeal..

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Hmm, it's a difficult one, they've both got their own appeal..

I know what you mean Matt. In hand the new one is the more lustrous and I think slightly takes it. But very close call. Just sorting through the other pennies and doesn't look to be anything else as exciting. A few 1919H and 1918H's as well as the standard multiples of the 1912H. A reasonable 1915 recessed ear and a vf toned 1940SE. The 1874 is nice but nothing exceptional but one to add to the collection. So overall not a bad haul. I also bought a load of sixpences and ten pence/florins from the same sell lots of Unc coins amongst them, mostly decimal. 8 of the sixpences were BU 1943's and I truly mean BU. Total price for all 3 lots £8.85 inclusive of P&PB)

• Like 2

Edward I 

1272 - 1307

Lincoln 

Penny 

Class III d

( ca. From June 1280 to Decenber 1281 )

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Actually these were last week at a Car boot sale, but I have only just found this thread:

040916 PU 1.jpg

040916 PU 2.jpg

• Like 2

These also from last week - 1887 I know is very common, but the 1888 is scarcer and the chap would only part with them as a set.

Vic set 1 red.jpg

Vic set 2 red.jpg

I've had this a couple of weeks. 1773 farthing, no reverse stop. Decent example. 

1773 no reverse stop A.jpg

1773 no reverse stop B.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/09/2016 at 4:43 PM, Michael-Roo said:

I've had this a couple of weeks. 1773 farthing, no reverse stop. Decent example. 

1773 no reverse stop A.jpg

1773 no reverse stop B.jpg

I'll take it off your hands if you ever upgrade!

1902 matt proof sixpence, recently photographed! Mint wipes akimbo!

1902_sx_pf_02_06_2400.jpg

10 hours ago, Paulus said:

I'll take it off your hands if you ever upgrade!

Ta Paulus, unlikely though.

Its the obverse one version too, rarer than the obverse two.

I picked up three coins at Heritage yesterday. All three were bought at under the low estimate:

George II, 1750 sixpence graded MS64

cJV6gX.jpg

SjqaDj.jpg

• Like 2

George II, 1758 sixpence, graded MS63

ce5DYo.jpg

1N0kJT.jpg

• Like 2

Victoria, 1885 sixpence, graded MS65

3vvmzE.jpg

cbaJAP.jpg

• Like 4

1873 Low 3 Farthing = Graded CGS 82. Seems to be a touch of verd on the obv in the slab that I didn't spot so I will be monitoring it and breaking it out if needed.

1873-low-3-farthing.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

1873 Low 3 Farthing = Graded CGS 82. Seems to be a touch of verd on the obv in the slab that I didn't spot so I will be monitoring it and breaking it out if needed.

1873-low-3-farthing.jpg

Very nice coin and great pics through the plastic :) Where have you spotted the verd? On her cheek, hair?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Very nice coin and great pics through the plastic :) Where have you spotted the verd? On her cheek, hair?

It on the wreath, the sellers pics were not great so there was always a chance there would be some verd somewhere. I am not sure its active so I will monitor it and if need be set her free from the plastic tomb.

26 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

1873-low-3-farthing.jpg

Wonderful exemplar!

May I ask a total novice question - why does the lustre on the fields in the reverse have an uneven distribution, contrary to the obverse? Random, wear, ghosting?

I honestly don't know as I am a novice too so would welcome some of the more experienced members thoughts.

You're building quite an impressive bronze collection Nons :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I honestly don't know as I am a novice too so would welcome some of the more experienced members thoughts.

This is a mainly ignorant stab in the dark at why there may be significant differences in strike/grade/toning between the two sides, I hope much more experienced collectors will add wisdom!

Strike - a deep strike on one side of the coin will 'suck in' metal available for detail on the other side

Strike - the quality of strike could differ between the two sides?

Die wear/issues - could differ greatly between the dies used on either side?

Toning - if the coin is stored for long periods without being flipped over, one side will be exposed to different atmospheric and 'material contact' conditions compared with the other

Wear - if the coin is used as a 'touch piece' the the obverse will have much more wear through handling than the reverse (is that right)?

I'm sure there are other factors, this was a 5 minute brain dump. Rob?

PS: -  where has the bullet point option gone @Nordle11?

7 hours ago, Paulus said:

This is a mainly ignorant stab in the dark at why there may be significant differences in strike/grade/toning between the two sides, I hope much more experienced collectors will add wisdom!

Strike - a deep strike on one side of the coin will 'suck in' metal available for detail on the other side

Strike - the quality of strike could differ between the two sides?

Die wear/issues - could differ greatly between the dies used on either side?

Toning - if the coin is stored for long periods without being flipped over, one side will be exposed to different atmospheric and 'material contact' conditions compared with the other

Wear - if the coin is used as a 'touch piece' the the obverse will have much more wear through handling than the reverse (is that right)?

I'm sure there are other factors, this was a 5 minute brain dump. Rob?

PS: -  where has the bullet point option gone @Nordle11?

It's there for me?

Sorry I've only learnt now that the lustre depends on the wear of the die, it's not a mint coating. The more worn it is, the more lustre it creates.

As top (striking) dies are worn out quicker and replaced more often than bottom ones, that would explain the difference between the two faces. Don't know really.