British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Goodness! Thank God we created bronze, he bemoans in a Scrooge-like fashion! You penny chaps are running amok on here, what's going on? :-)

Goodness! Thank God we created bronze, he bemoans in a Scrooge-like fashion! You penny chaps are running amok on here, what's going on? :-)

I was thinking that myself, there must be 5 different threads on pennies.

• Like 1

Pennies are all very well but a sixpence is worth more. :P

Received my 1604 James I sixpence today. Graded abt. VF but nice in hand. Will get a photo up later (when I have taken it).

I was thinking that myself, there must be 5 different threads on pennies.

Have you resolved your theft issue? Did you get the Polizei involved?

The lunatics have taken OVER the asylum.

Lets have a bit of hammered and farthings.

The lunatics have taken OVER the asylum.

Lets have a bit of hammered and farthings.

Did I just see a cuckoo? I reckon so! :-)

I've got a new ed coin (not mentioning that it's a penny) to share, after I've collected it from the mother-in-law this weekend! :) looked great in the pictures...but we've all experienced that one before!

Received my 1604 James I sixpence today. Graded abt. VF but nice in hand. Will get a photo up later (when I have taken it).

Looking forward to your pics, Jag! :)

Bernie, that isn't a die letter C by any chance is it?

I believe it to be a Reverse H. Not to many of them exist so I am only 90% sure. It does fit.

At first glance I thought it was a Rev F with a nice die letter to left of lighthouse! Either way congratulations and very well done for £25!

Also that looks like a raised dot between the Ns of penny

Bernie, that isn't a die letter C by any chance is it?

I believe it to be a Reverse H. Not to many of them exist so I am only 90% sure. It does fit.
Hi Bernie,

My first thought, without checking guides or anything, also was that this was a reverse H...

If memory serves me well, the lighthouse looks proper for a reverse H, and if I remember correctly, the A of half is supposed to be slightly rotated as this one appears to be..

Well done if it proves to be a reverse H.... I think London Coins sold one a year or so ago for a hefty sum...

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Forum software wouldn't let me edit..

It is the H of HALF, not the A, that is slightly counter-clockwise..

I would mount this in my collection as a Reverse H.

(Bernie, want to double your money???? I'd be willing to take it off your hands.... LOL!!!)

And now for something completely different .... :)

Photo's not great, but should fit well with my "maritime collection" ie the other three coins that I have! :rolleyes:

post-7102-0-95517800-1450535089_thumb.jp

post-7102-0-17357700-1450535110_thumb.jp

That's certainly different, Debbie! :) Have you determined what the mother coin is, and what the shield represents?

• Like 1

Looking forward to your pics, Jag! :)

Sorry. Realised that I had already posted pics :(

Georgian half penny Stuart. Would be fabulous if I were able to find out which sea battle this was depicting!

Also that looks like a raised dot between the Ns of penny

David,

Probably not a dot, The coin unfortunately has at sometime spend time in the ground. There are signs of water corrosion, especially around the edge of the coin.

The coin looks excellent with the naked eye, but photographing it shows up deterioration of all of the coin due to water. The bright light reveals everything !

The coin appears EF in natural daylight, looks better than the picture indicates. Such a shame ! but better to have than a coin in Just Fine grade.

Oh, God, yet another penny to add to this forum! :wacko:

I confess a slight disappointment in receiving this one, as it looked SO much better in the seller's images. His photos didn't highlight the corrosion, of which there is a little too much for my taste. However, it'll stay until a nicer one comes along.

Fortunately, the medieval pennies lend themselves quite nicely to the upgrade principle, as there is plenty to learn along the way through IDing them. They are also pretty plentiful for the most past, and generally not too expensive. A great beginners series I think.

Anyway, with all the features that makes it what it is...

Class 2b London Penny of Edward I (1280)

Reverse N's on both the obverse and reverse

1.41g

EDW R' ANGL' DND HyB with (not so common it seems) long-wedge abbreviations

Barred A's

Round-backed open C's and E's

Face 5 (with long neck)

Long-serif Cross Potent

Composite S

and, finally...

Edward%20Penny%202b%20OB20_zpseudtnwcr.j

Edward%20Penny%202b%20REV20_zpsz18pf1yx.

yes there is a little of corrosion especially on the legends but I like it ... nice coin

Here's the seller's picture! I can usually decipher the photography, but this one caught me out!

edpenny_zpsh68mwaew.jpg