British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Mr T, here is a scan on the pages of the coin in question.

post-8244-0-46131100-1450178923_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-65560900-1450178924_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 2

Thanks - I've been meaning to get a copy of those books but didn't realise just what I'm missing.

In terms of minor varieties, this is definitely the book to go to. I almost see it as a hierarchy where you would first check Freeman for general info, then Gouby just to see if there is anything unlisted in Freeman and finally Groom for the micro-varieties.

Don't forget David Groom is an active member on here (DaveG38) - he might sign the book for you if you order from him and ask him nicely!

Don't forget David Groom is an active member on here (DaveG38) - he might sign the book for you if you order from him and ask him nicely!

I did send a message about it a few months ago but unfortunately he had no hard copies left.

I got Michael to sign his book before he shipped it to me :)

I got David's book through Amazon though, so I assumed he wouldn't be able to..

I'm afraid I must point out that the pictures of the reverse dates are both the same type, they are both 10 1/2 tooth. The differences should be 9 1/2 and 10 1/2. Actually it's more like 10 1/4.

I'm afraid I must point out that the pictures of the reverse dates are both the same type, they are both 10 1/2 tooth. The differences should be 9 1/2 and 10 1/2. Actually it's more like 10 1/4.

I would agree Gary but the teeth on both reverses are different. Maybe we need a much closer picture to show the difference between the postitions of the last 1 in the date, because it does look very similar.

I would agree Gary but the teeth on both reverses are different. Maybe we need a much closer picture to show the difference between the postitions of the last 1 in the date, because it does look very similar.

Both reverses have the same number of teeth but the date is narrower on the 9 1/2. What makes it difficult to spot is that date is narrower in proportion and not like many where the last digit drifts around. The only sure way to differentiate the two is the count the teeth under the date.

• Like 1

Both reverses have the same number of teeth but the date is narrower on the 9 1/2. What makes it difficult to spot is that date is narrower in proportion and not like many where the last digit drifts around. The only sure way to differentiate the two is the count the teeth under the date.

It does say that there is a noticeable gap between the tops of the numbers in the date and the exergue line which you can see on the second example, but not on the first? They certainly look different in terms of the beads and the gap, and even the size of the numbers in the date seem 'squidged' on the latter, which must be causing the gap.

My only 1911, has the hollow neck with D to a bead, obverse has 1 to right of a bead (10¼ beads), beads are widely spaced, but a clear space between the date and the exergue line

1911%20B%201aA2.jpg

So I'm thinking Groom Obv1*/RevA

My only 1911, has the hollow neck with D to a bead, obverse has 1 to right of a bead (10¼ beads), beads are widely spaced, but a clear space between the date and the exergue line

1911%20B%201aA2.jpg

From my limited experience I find the the gap between the top of the numerals and the exergue to be an unreliable indicator. Although perhaps less so if you have two examples side by side. I looked at one of each from the net whick I printed of A4 size and there is no decernable difference in gap and both have the slanting middle 1.

Yes I would agree with you David, purely based on the excerpt from the book, but like Gary I have very limited experience with halfpennies.

When you compare the 2 pictures Gary can you see a difference in the size of the numerals used? I think that's what's causing the gap to the exergue instead of the date being moved down, but is very clear in David's (Groom) examples.

Edited by Nordle11

I have the 9 1/2 with the other obverse

985417.jpg

Edited by scott

Yes I would agree with you David, purely based on the excerpt from the book, but like Gary I have very limited experience with halfpennies.

When you compare the 2 pictures Gary can you see a difference in the size of the numerals used? I think that's what's causing the gap to the exergue instead of the date being moved down, but is very clear in David's (Groom) examples.

I think the gap is variable on the 10 1/4. It's just so much easier to count the teeth.

That was the toughest of the 4 1911 varieties for me too.......

Yours is nicer than mine too...

Hi Gary, I remember when I sold you that A+b 1911 Halfpenny, is it still the same one you have?. I sold you the better of the 2 that I had. Several years it has taken me to find another to upgrade my one, I picked one up earlier this year :)

I agree A+b is the toughest combination 2nd is the B+a, even those I've only had 5, the other 2 are common.

I noticed you mentioned the clipped 1862 Halfpenny die A that you sold in another thread, I still have it.

Hi Gary, I remember when I sold you that A+b 1911 Halfpenny, is it still the same one you have?. I sold you the better of the 2 that I had. Several years it has taken me to find another to upgrade my one, I picked one up earlier this year :)

I agree A+b is the toughest combination 2nd is the B+a, even those I've only had 5, the other 2 are common.

I noticed you mentioned the clipped 1862 Halfpenny die A that you sold in another thread, I still have it.

Hi Andy...

Yes, that's though coin ...

I had mentioned the clip because there are times that I regret parting with it..

Hi Andy...

Yes, that's though coin ...

I had mentioned the clip because there are times that I regret parting with it..

From Michael Gouby's website...

1911 - 2 Obverse dies

Obv. A D of DEI to bead (Hollow neck)

Obv. B D of DEI to gap (Rounded neck)

1911 - 2 date spacing varieties

Date a Last 1 to right of bead (10 beads)

Date b Last 1 of date to gap ( 9 1/2 beads)

These varieties are not listed in FREEMAN

• Like 1

So mine is the same as this one. Is this one of the harder ones to find?

1911%20B%201aA2.jpg

I also have another which is Round Neck with "D" of DEI to gap -spaces of date on reverse is 9 1/2 Beads.

Just trying to get my head around the variants as I am going from David G's book and dont recognize the Ab BA, etc...

Edited by bhx7

Think I have grasped it now. So this means I have the 2 common ones is that right :wacko:, it is usually the way!

Acquistion January 2015. 1875 wide date F82, aBU, ex Alderley collection.

obverse

reverse

Posted links as had issues re-sizing the pics.

Cor, what a coin. Lovely purchase with a nice provenance.

Nice coin from a nice collection .

Good buy :)

Cheers Guys :)

• Like 1