British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

The circular I read but never really enjoyed.

I have bought old circulars back to the 60's and this was the way to buy coins as many of the copies have notations with expletives FOC :)

I used to wait for Coin Monthly to arrive and order from the adverts.

I got a few crackers :)

Now with online auctions the competition is fierce.

The bargains can still be found at coin fairs.

A quality piece on a major auction site will be fought over with every corner of the globe.

Every thing moves on.

Mrs Peter and I did the Greek Islands in the 80's where the drinks and food was cheap.

Not so nowadays.

Bread and butter means different things to different businesses. The cost of employing even the cheapest worker in central London premises has to be at least 60 or £70 an hour. A person working on the counter is unlikely to be the lowest paid as they need a good working knowledge of numismatics. You are therefore looking at at least £100 per hour costs in my estimation and probably more given the footprint of the shop area. Space is a proportional cost. All of which renders the sale of small value items untenable as a business model such as the main dealers have. For these you will have to turn to internet based dealers, or their tables at coin fairs.

Again I agree. Having spent my career in the audit business, I am more than aware that there were clients who could not afford us and where we could not make any money and maintain our standards.

In my opinion, the days of the High St. coin shop are numbered if not over. Outfits like Baldwin will be looking at high value private sales and high value auctions. But they don't need to maintain a large presence in central London to do that. I never understood why my own firm had such large, 'prestigious' and expensive offices in central London or New York when we made our money by being out at client sites. I would have shut those offices down, rented a suite of conference rooms for top management and for meeting with clients and moved everyone else out to a shed in Watford.

However, Baldwin's attitude to Azda's coin in the context of auctions has me a little surprised because you can have multiple levels of auction. The high value ones and the less high value. The advent of online auctions and online bidding means that you can run internet auctions pretty cheaply. That allows a business model whereby you can sell lower value coins and still make money. What you need is an efficient receiving, estimating/grading and despatch system. This is something that Heritage does extremely well. Their quarterly auctions have some outstanding and high value material. But their weekly auctions offer something for everyone.

Image is everything when you grow that big.

If you said we are the cream of the crop and had an office in Brixton or Tooting you would be creating doubts in the minds of your customers.

Personally I feel it is what the likes of Greece and Northern Rock did but then they are still in biz however an iconic brand and a proper biz like Cadbury got sold off to Kraft.

Oh, please don't go there with the Cadbury sale (was it not to Hershey, the wax-chocolate people?).

Rob, what would be a salary for a counter person - if such even exists (!) at Baldwin or Spink - surely not 60-70 pounds per hour else I want the job!

• Like 1

Rob, what would be a salary for a counter person - if such even exists (!) at Baldwin or Spink - surely not 60-70 pounds per hour else I want the job!

It isn't the salary received that costs the money, it's the floor area and central London rental costs associated with providing the place of work. Even in the sticks you are typically looking at roughly 3x salary in total costs by the time rent, rates and other overheads are considered. If you want a plush shop, which Spink and other higher value retail outlets would demand, then this all adds up.

Oh, please don't go there with the Cadbury sale (was it not to Hershey, the wax-chocolate people?).

Mondelez - the confectionery arm of Kraft.

Here's a good read about how Kraft are telling us what chocolates should taste like. After all Cadbury were shite according to them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11339559/6-ways-Cadbury-has-been-trashed.html

Edited by jacinbox

Not a coin, but some nice ones in it!

post-129-0-39067100-1433258226_thumb.jpg

Almost instant delivery, courtesy of Rob.

:D

Brilliant. Can we see more coin images from this sale?

Mondelez - the confectionery arm of Kraft.

Here's a good read about how Kraft are telling us what chocolates should taste like. After all Cadbury were shite according to them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11339559/6-ways-Cadbury-has-been-trashed.html

Prior to the Cadbury acquisition, Kraft already owned confectioners such as Suchard (think Toblerone) and Cote D'or (Belgian chocolate). Both offer considerably superior chocolate products to Cadbury. In addition, Cadbury in the USA was made under licence by Hershey and was pretty disgusting. So, yes, Kraft probably do know what chocolate should taste like and Cadbury might just benefit from that knowledge.

Not a coin, but some nice ones in it!

attachicon.gifWillis.jpg

Almost instant delivery, courtesy of Rob.

:D

Very nice. I also have that catalogue and I bought several coins in the second Willis sale held on 7th October 1991.

A quick snap of the first two colour plates:

P6020430_zpsm30olgbq.jpgP6020427_zpsugbyzk1z.jpg

Not brilliant quality I'm afraid ..

Edited by TomGoodheart

A quick snap of the two colour plates:

P6020430_zpsm30olgbq.jpgP6020427_zpsugbyzk1z.jpg

Not brilliant quality I'm afraid ..

What the plate photo or the coins?............ ; )

What the plate photo or the coins?............ ; )

Well, of course, there can never be too many pictures of Charles I Tower shillings and with just three illustrated that's a bit of a minus ...

:P

OK, I was enjoying coins in the best way I can at the moment, and was looking through the eBay fodder, purely as an attribution exercise.

I was halfway through identifying this one when, in the dying seconds, at a going-nowhere-£3, I thought a £3.50 bid was worth a punt so, in the famous Scott style, I can add this at £3.20!

I have struggled to pin this one, on account of the obverse E! None of the coins other features match any but the attribution I've plumbed for...though a round-backed E is also crucial for that attribution.

Having looked over a number of Es, there is most definitely a blurred middle-ground between angle-backed and round-backed letters.

Further complicating this coin is a slightly more angle-backed than round-backed C on the reverse!

If anyone wants to offer a different classification I'm gratefully all-ears, and ready to explain my rationales, as I'm not 100% solid on this one! I have used a blend of Wren, Withers, and North to get to this point.

Anyway, please bring the comments on:

15Edward%20II%20Penny%20Class%2011a_zpsx

NGC XF45 for those interested in such things!

1795 George III Counterstamped real...my favourite coin.

What grade would you guys say? PCGS says XF45, which is about VF here?

post-7957-0-62598600-1433594043_thumb.jp

post-7957-0-81829100-1433594054_thumb.jp

8 Reales, Pillar Dollar (Piece of eight). I would say GVF Obverse, and VF Reverse. XF is a little high I think.

A nice example.

Shilling-ElizabethI_zpsoqajyrpq.jpg

Elizabeth I

Shilling

Spink 2577

silver

:) :) :)

Edited by ChKy

Whats this Christoph? Are you buying hammered noe?

Need that one as specimen for the book. It includes an introduction as well. One chapter describes the evolution of certain denominations. I will show that one in comparison to other Shillings struck in other centuries.

For that purpose I will have to purchase a few hammered Pennies of different reigns as well for example...

Edited by ChKy

Or you could make it cheaper and ask members on here for use of types you need? I have a nice Liz I shilling that you could have used had i known

Or you could make it cheaper and ask members on here for use of types you need? I have a nice Liz I shilling that you could have used had i known

Would you have send that one to me in order to allow me to make a scan? If so I would be very happy and grateful. :)

I can send my own pictures if thats helpful.

Need that one as specimen for the book. It includes an introduction as well. One chapter describes the evolution of certain denominations. I will show that one in comparison to other Shillings struck in other centuries.

For that purpose I will have to purchase a few hammered Pennies of different reigns as well for example...

I have one or two sixpences if you need any photos of those.

Would be pretty cool :)

Would be pretty cool :)

What years or monarchs would you like?