British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Colin

A Kelly Brook of a farthing (1872) :P

My 1717 received on Friday has had me in a whirlwind this weekend :rolleyes:

Will we get to see any images? :D

s5487.jpg

An example of an extremely rare coin, which was minted from 1582-1586 with the then having attained majority portrait of James VI. The legend IACOBUS 6 DEI GRATIA REX SCOTORUM translates as James 6 by the grace of God, King of Scots. The young king holds a sword, a symbol of his authority. The reverse of the coin has the Scottish arms, I R and XXX S for Thirty Shillings, the denomination of the coin. The legend around the reverse is HONOR REGIS IUDICUM DILIGIT 1586, which translates to "The Kings power loveth judgement", unfortunately his son, Charles I would face that judgement in 1649. This coin is S-5487 in Seaby, and SJ630-025 in Coincraft. Curiously this denomination would not be issued again until after James VI accessed the English throne in 1603, and portrays the king on horseback.

It amazes you how the portrait captures a young figure. Even though partly worn, you can immediately tell is a young ruler!! Great coin :)

Nice medal Chris. I had a look on:

<a href="http://medals4trade.com/collections/thumbnails.php?album=556&page=1" target="_blank">http://medals4trade.com/collections/thumbn...=556&page=1</a>

to see if it was there but unfortunately I can't see it. I'll PM the owner of the website Dan to see if he knows anymore about it. He is quite knowledgeable when it comes to Victorian medals and has a lot of reference books on the subject.

Hi Chris,

Dan says:

"The medal appears to be British Historical Medal #3061 Royal Agricultural Prize medal. The Obverse iis the same as the #1955 from 1840. The Royal Society of England held its annual meeting in 1879 at Kilburn in London. It was the 40th Anniversary and was held on an unprecedented scale and assumed the proportions and form of an international exhibition. It was give the special title International Agricultural Exhibition. As a result of the increased cost of the exhibition, the Mansion House Committee was formed by the Lord Mayor of London to help meet some of the expenses The Committee offered prizes for foreign stock and produce, together with the prizes for Sewage Farms and Market Gardens. The site of the exhibition amounted to some 100 acres and was obtained from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It was situated in the area between the London and North Western and North London railways some 2 1/2 miles from Marbl Arch. Considered Very Rare "RR"

by L.Brown BHM"

Hope it helps.

Great background info, thanks very much! Sounds like it was more than just a marrow length and orangeness of carrot contest then.

Does Dan want it for his collection? How much is 'very rare' worth, or is this the kind of area that really depends on finding someone that can't live without it?

Can I claim the prize for the nastiest looking coin on here? Its the worst one in my collection. Its only redeeming feature is that its a type 1 1689 Halfpenny, so very hard to come by for any kind of sensible money.

post-692-1198252279_thumb.jpg

Horrible isn't it, but it fills a long standing gap. The only problem is that I have now discovered that there is a type 2 1689, so.......I'm on the lookout again. Oh well!

DaveG38

post-692-1198252279_thumb.jpg

DaveG38

Nay worse for a tin farthing though. I sure would like one of those of any persuasion, ie grade. I think the whole story about them and the tin mines of Cornwall just adds to the ambiance of owning one.

charlesiimerk1680.jpg

The merk as pictured above was the most common silver Scottish coin from the reign of Charles II that circulated in Scotland. It was the equivalent of 13/4 or Thirteen Shillings, Four Pence and was the last vestige of the Merk reckoning used in Scotland for hundreds of years. Curiously the term "Quarter Dollar" was not used contemporaneously, but only as a reference much later on, so in effect it is not really accurate in describing these coins. This coin is S-5620 in Seaby and SC-21M-135 in Coincraft.

Heres a coin that should test Scotish Money's knowledge of all things Russian:

post-2177-1199614375_thumb.jpg

post-2177-1199614319_thumb.jpg

Heres a coin that should test Scotish Money's knowledge of all things Russian:

post-2177-1199614375_thumb.jpg

post-2177-1199614319_thumb.jpg

Russian Kopeika issued during the tyranny, whoopsy, I mean reign of Nikolai II(1894-1917) minted at SPB or Sankt Peterburg mint in 1897. It was worth about a farthing in value during that time.

If I post any acquisitions which are not Scottish or 17th tokens, do in no undo haste slap me silly. Hopefully soon my next will be something yellow coloured and 555 years old from Scottyland.

Thanks Scottish Money, I knew you would know where it was from. I have no use for the coin and its yours if you want it - free of course as you have been so helpful since I joined the forum - just let me know if you want it.

I hope it's okay to post back into this old topic. I was thinking of starting a similar kind of topic but it's cool that the idea has already been thought of before.

Got some interesting ones for you here.

Pic 1 - a 2008 20p piece with a large blob of metal on the tail along with some other smaller residue and messups on the line of spots.

Pic 2 - A 2008 5p piece with the Queen sporting a rather fetching goatee beard. The year looks like it's also been weakly struck with it fading out to nothing.

More to come...

post-4768-1252001283_thumb.jpg

post-4768-1252001292_thumb.jpg

Pic 3 - I finally found one! The 2008 Olympic £2 coin! Only 910,000 were ever minted according to the RM website.

Pic 4 - A banknote... sorry! =p. But does the low serial number make it more desirable?

post-4768-1252001400_thumb.jpg

post-4768-1252001407_thumb.jpg

had one of the £2 for a few weeks now

a few of my better aquisitons over the past couple of weeks arn't up

the highlights are an off centre George III halfpenny (date is sadly the part that missed the coin) but at 10p and its in fine. stil lworth it

Look who fell off the wagon, yes I'm back on the sixpences. The George II date set is back on!

1731 Roses and Plumes

970543.jpg

And my other old faves the half guinea (for some reason guineas themselves don't entertain me, but I fall over myself with the halves).

961481.jpg

And my other collection, I just adore these beauties; (Another date set in progress).

USA 1930 25c Philadelphia

969968.jpg

I saw this beauty on the 'Bay (1928 penny) ...

post-4737-1252445693_thumb.jpg

No-one had bid for it and the clock was counting down, and I was whooping and hollering and not quite believing ...

... and then, I saw this, from the same seller ...

post-4737-1252445828_thumb.jpg

... and all became sadly very clear to me :(

If something seems too good to be true, you can bet your life it isn't true. Oh well, my search for the "missing mule" of 1920s pennies goes on.

(Oh boy, I had a lucky escape - I could have thrown away 99p back there! :lol: )

... and then, I saw this, from the same seller ...

post-4737-1252445828_thumb.jpg

... and all became sadly very clear to me :(

If something seems too good to be true, you can bet your life it isn't true. Oh well, my search for the "missing mule" of 1920s pennies goes on.

(Oh boy, I had a lucky escape - I could have thrown away 99p back there! :lol: )

An "accidentally on purpose" mix up by the seller ?

I think a genuine blooper to be honest. He has a 100% rating and has a whole load of cleaned 20th Century coins out there, all at 99p starts. I think he really didn't know the difference between a 1927 and a 1928 obverse!

heh

got this from my dealer from 10p. error fake george 3rd halfpenny... heard these fakes can be worth a bit

972411.jpg

heh

got this from my dealer from 10p. error fake george 3rd halfpenny... heard these fakes can be worth a bit

972411.jpg

Some people - especially Americans - love to collect those forgeries. Although there are many of them, I think they are fascinating as each one is different. And they are historically interesting too.

heh

972411.jpg

Some people - especially Americans - love to collect those forgeries. Although there are many of them, I think they are fascinating as each one is different. And they are historically interesting too.

They are coveted by US collectors, and as stated there are a multitude of varieties, so it is a case of hoping you have the right one!!

A bargain at that price ;)

I think a genuine blooper to be honest. He has a 100% rating and has a whole load of cleaned 20th Century coins out there, all at 99p starts. I think he really didn't know the difference between a 1927 and a 1928 obverse!

Could be a genuine mistake, I mean I've been collecting 20 years and until just now I didn't know there was a difference between 1927 and 1928 obverses! :lol: It just proves that you live and learn.

Could be a genuine mistake, I mean I've been collecting 20 years and until just now I didn't know there was a difference between 1927 and 1928 obverses! :lol: It just proves that you live and learn.

If I'm an expert in anything at all, I suppose it's in Geo V.

FWIW, the 1927 obverse is the same as the 1926 Mod Effigy, but from 1928 the ME was reduced in size quite a bit, so the legend goes almost full circle around it. (This is only on pennies - all other denominations, the ME stayed the same size).

Edited by Peckris