British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

My shilling arrived this morning and I'm very pleased with it. So a big Thank You to Richard Groves, whom others here have praised, but not someone I've bought from before!

I've fiddled around with my own photos for my records, but to be honest I think he did a very good job of getting a representative pic. Nice coin and first class service!

Handy.jpg

It is a superb bust TG! Did the weight tally?

Nice coin. Thats one of John stephensons friends i believe

That's the chap. Up in Scotland.

My shilling arrived this morning and I'm very pleased with it. So a big Thank You to Richard Groves, whom others here have praised, but not someone I've bought from before!

I've fiddled around with my own photos for my records, but to be honest I think he did a very good job of getting a representative pic. Nice coin and first class service!

Handy.jpg

It is a superb bust TG! Did the weight tally?

Overall and despite some surface marks (I'm pretty sure it was a soil find though it's toned since then) and high point wear, it's probably the sharpest I have for that group. I suspect it was possibly an early strike as the details are very crisp.

As for the weight, my scales say 5.93g, so I'm 99% certain the small flan is down to the mint rather than clipping.

When I bought it I thought if it didn't live up to expectations it wouldn't be difficult to sell on, but now I have it, I'm thinking it's a keeper!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Started to look at half pennies

1863F2947G-1.jpg

1897A1B.jpg

and this one

1911B1aA.jpg

Oh, I find looking causes very few problems at all David. It's when you start buying .... :lol:

Nice halfpennies! Though a couple of spots that might benefit from a spot of acetone? (That's one of the reasons I stick to tarnished old silver!)

Oh, I find looking causes very few problems at all David. It's when you start buying .... :lol:

Revisting probably the better description, I have a collection I pulled from circulation many years ago - many are in awful condition :( much more difficult to find compared to the pennies

Been concentrating on pennies since i started collecting again, now I'm filling gaps in the halfpennies before I start upgrading the rest

Revisting probably the better description, I have a collection I pulled from circulation many years ago - many are in awful condition :(much more difficult to find compared to the pennies

Been concentrating on pennies since i started collecting again, now I'm filling gaps in the halfpennies before I start upgrading the rest

Why were the older halfpennies that much more difficult to locate than the pennies, David ? Do you know ?

Why were the older halfpennies that much more difficult to locate than the pennies, David ? Do you know ?

I think small coins suffered much greater wear than the pennies, so I guess lots more withdrawn.

in the 60s bun halfpennies were very rarely seen, even George V were always in very poor condition, the vast majority in circulation were george VI & Elizabeth

and this one

1911B1aA.jpg

That's not a Gouby V by any chance....? :D

Revisting probably the better description, I have a collection I pulled from circulation many years ago - many are in awful condition :(much more difficult to find compared to the pennies

I found the same thing, when looking through bank bags in the late 60s. I think that proportionately, the obverse must have sucked even more metal away from the reverse, or possibly that the reverse rims were even more non-existent leading to less protection?

I think small coins suffered much greater wear than the pennies, so I guess lots more withdrawn.

in the 60s bun halfpennies were very rarely seen, even George V were always in very poor condition, the vast majority in circulation were george VI & Elizabeth

The flaw in that is that farthings usually have very well preserved reverses.

The flaw in that is that farthings usually have very well preserved reverses.

I don't really remember seeing farthings in circulation, when I was about 5 (1950) A large loaf from the bakers was 5¾d, he never gave Mum a farthing in change - I got an ice-lolly instead :)

Dont think I ever saw a silver 3d in change either

-

Hollow neck D of DEI to a bead

-

It was a joke! (V = half X in Roman numerals). D'oh!

-

That was too subtle for me Peck! :lol:

-

That was too subtle for me Peck! :lol:

Many and weird are the workings of my mind... or so my nearest and dearest tell me :lol:

-

Is that the 9 1/2 or 10 tooth date

9 1/2 I think 1*+A

Arrival

P9301079.jpg

P9301080.jpg

hehe 69 :lol: nice coin though

How much did that set you back Dave? (If you don't mind me asking)

I'll PM you Mr P

I'll PM you Mr P

Ok :)

9 1/2 I think 1*+A

I've been looking for a 9 1/2 tooth hollow neck in high grade for oh so long. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-LOW-GRADE-COINS-ANNA-WILLIAM-III-VICTORIA-/360740635754?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=pB5oDIE9zR9VtmKyOCsl628Yklw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

not a bad price especially considering the 1865 shilling (die 99) isn't the worst grade in the world

the 1697 sixpence is 1st Bust 2nd harp and small crowns

the 1711 sixpence is small Lis

and the shilling is 1697, dunno why reverse is so worn, but dunno what bust it is :/