British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

I'm pretty sure he's written a book on early bronze pennies, Declan. How did you find out, as a matter of interest ?

That's the one, '49. Satin numbers and all that. I've asked him if I can buy a copy from him, as I have not managed to track one down thus far. It all started because he has a low grade 1904 penny on eBay with an unusual pointing on the 4, so I told him about Dave Groom's book, and that Dave goes into some detail on the myriad micros for 1904. Obviously he's interested in scarcity but neither I nor Groom can help him there. He was surprised he hadn't come across the Groom books before and in the course of the conversation he let me know who he was.Hopefully he'll get back to me about the book - that will be another gap in the library filled!

Ask him for 2 books Declan, i's also like one.

Funny, somehow I recall Lloyd getting into some scrape or another. I had bought a couple of bits off him of decent quality at fair prices as well.

Does anybody remember the gossip? Hello, Rob!

Is it the same Lloyd? I believe there is another coin dealer (coin division ? or something like that) with exactly the same name.

You are quite right. There are two Llyod Roberts. The other one is at Haverfordwest in Wales and as you say trades as Coin Division.

I'm pretty sure he's written a book on early bronze pennies, Declan. How did you find out, as a matter of interest ?

That's the one, '49. Satin numbers and all that. I've asked him if I can buy a copy from him, as I have not managed to track one down thus far. It all started because he has a low grade 1904 penny on eBay with an unusual pointing on the 4, so I told him about Dave Groom's book, and that Dave goes into some detail on the myriad micros for 1904. Obviously he's interested in scarcity but neither I nor Groom can help him there. He was surprised he hadn't come across the Groom books before and in the course of the conversation he let me know who he was.

Hopefully he'll get back to me about the book - that will be another gap in the library filled!

I'm not sure 'book' is the right word - not if my copy is anything to go by? It's more like a typed pamphlet with a double page of hand-drawn enlargements, with an insert of extra information, all dated 1999 (2nd edition). But as JJ himself says, it was a 'labour of love' drawn from over 20 years of experience and research. I doubt if there's a better guide to the pennies of 1860-65, unless Michael Gouby (who was one of his consultants) has added to it?

As to a copy of it - as he produced it himself, you'd be best asking him directly if he has any remaining copies.

I'm not sure 'book' is the right word - not if my copy is anything to go by? It's more like a typed pamphlet with a double page of hand-drawn enlargements, with an insert of extra information, all dated 1999 (2nd edition). But as JJ himself says, it was a 'labour of love' drawn from over 20 years of experience and research. I doubt if there's a better guide to the pennies of 1860-65, unless Michael Gouby (who was one of his consultants) has added to it?

As to a copy of it - as he produced it himself, you'd be best asking him directly if he has any remaining copies.

If it could be turned into a PDF with his permission, then maybe we could all get a copy

If it could be turned into a PDF with his permission, then maybe we could all get a copy

Excellent idea, David.

Bought 11 pounds (about 5 KG) of bulk base metal coins for $55 at a local dealer. Ended up finding about $10 worth of scrap silver coins in there, quite a few pennies, no rare/interesting dates though. Hiding in there was a William and Mary copper halfpenny (worn down to nothing though) a couple of decent looking German coins including some better dates (sold one 10 cu/ni pfennig for $15 on the 'Bay!) got some old Bank of Upper Canada tokens, a worn George II halfpenny, quite a bit of modern stuff as well, got 4 Cu/Ni Isle of Man cat crowns, some generic medals commemorating local towns and states, some infomercial crap, but the real highlight was an 1852 Presidential Campaign token for Winfield Scott! Should pay for the entire bag when it sells if past eBay auctions were any indication!

Next weekend I think I might just double my order!

So what do you do with the rest, Generic? I've always been put off taking that approach because I'd probably just end up burying them in the garden...

So what do you do with the rest, Generic? I've always been put off taking that approach because I'd probably just end up burying them in the garden...

I haven't decided quite yet, a good amount I'm going to give to friends/friend's kids, the British stuff I'm going to keep for die study if nothing else. I'll probably hang on to most of it though until I've figured out I don't have any more gems in there.

Havn't bought a massive lot for a while, my biggest was about £20 for 1000 world coins.

got a key date Rhodesia worth around £60 in it.

always good fun those.

Havn't bought a massive lot for a while, my biggest was about £20 for 1000 world coins.

got a key date Rhodesia worth around £60 in it.

always good fun those.

Yep, Its great because the guy who I buy it from is strictly a bullion/US coin dealer. Everything is truly unsorted (except for the silver, although clearly he missed a few!) its like a treasure hunt! Which is good because I live in an area where my metal detector can only find stuff newer than the 1970s!

Pretty fun to open up a canvas bag on the living room floor and pick out the goodies.

I prefer rarities Scott............Just swooped on this

post-5057-0-34475900-1380018408_thumb.jp

I feel pretty confident I browsed quickly over that this morning, whilst chasing my 5 year old around, trying to get him organised for school? :(

I feel pretty confident I browsed quickly over that this morning, whilst chasing my 5 year old around, trying to get him organised for school? :(

You got out of jail then. ;):)

You got out of jail then. ;):)
Hah, quite! How does anyone ever make it in life? I am eternally in the jail of a needy sprog, who gives me precious little time for anything when he's around! ;)

Coinery yes me too!!! Lift to school in the morning, watching him at football this afternoon and hasten to say the phone was not off the hook ;-) then to get home and him tell me he has left his satchel at school :-( it didn't go down well!!!

Your second one looks like an Edward I class 4d, but with the reverse pellet not quite at the start, as per usual.

A fairly scarce variety 1888 sixpence with 1/1 in date. I'm calling it Davies 1163, but it isn't really as that relates to a 1+B die pairing. This is 1+A.

A fairly scarce variety 1888 sixpence with 1/1 in date. I'm calling it Davies 1163, but it isn't really as that relates to a 1+B die pairing. This is 1+A.

Nice! Good find.

Thumping grade, that one, very nice indeed! I'm really beginning to like the Victorian silver myself! I bought a couple of YH 3d's recently, which I'm collecting on Sunday! May well end up keeping them if they're especially pretty! :)

Nice! Good find.

Thanks.

Thumping grade, that one, very nice indeed! I'm really beginning to like the Victorian silver myself! I bought a couple of YH 3d's recently, which I'm collecting on Sunday! May well end up keeping them if they're especially pretty! :)

Shame about the rim nick, but other than that it is lovely in hand. I do like the Victoria 3d's also, but they are really difficult to obtain in a decent grade - they don't seem to appear much in the main auctions either.

Yikes, stay away! LOL.

Oh well, paraphrasing another thread "we've had it so good" and me in particular. So no complaining allowed!

Well, thanks to whichever member it was that stole* outbid me on the Chas shilling in the Spink auction, I had money burning a hole in my proverbial pocket (because who on earth still has actual money in their pockets these days? Such an out of date concept!)

and bought this:

post-129-0-94298600-1380210033_thumb.jpg

A bit ragged and some scratches (I'll need to wait until it arrives before I can decide just how bad they look) but a decent portrait and if the seller's scales are accurate, a full weight, both of which are not easy to find with these later (1640-41) issues under the King.

:D

* Only joking!

Edited by TomGoodheart

The raggedness is quite appealing when it weighs correctly.

As a moneyer I wouldn't of been too proud of my handiwork.