British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

post-4682-0-59326400-1379754871_thumb.jp

.....and the obverse:-

I'd like to stick up for Mr Lucido too ! His coins still generally get my interest, although not so many bids these days.

Over the years I've bought, lets see, 26 coins from Rob Walker, and those that have been moved on since have all made good money, so no duffers in there.

Plenty of sellers of absolute junk out there, and Lucido is not one of them. In fact, in my early days, he was quite the inspiration.

Yes, I've bought one or two from him as well. He rarely seems to sell absolute top of the range UNC, but they are nonetheless always good, solid quality coins, and his pics are usually excellent. Pity he decided not to join.

Anybody noticed the e bay seller called "topcarp2". He sells some really high quality material. Dare I say it, too good for e bay. Gives a great description and is very knowledgeable. Says he has enjoyed numismatics for 48 years. I bet he'd be a useful addition on this forum.

link

Edited by 1949threepence

attachicon.gifpenny 1860 F7 rev.jpg

Quite pleased with this 1860 F7 I obtained recently. Some lustre, but no more than NEF in grade. Still, a scarce piece.

Yes, pretty scarce. Nice to see you back again 1949! :)

Quite pleased with this 1860 F7 I obtained recently. Some lustre, but no more than NEF in grade. Still, a scarce piece.

Yes, pretty scarce. Nice to see you back again 1949! :)

Cheers Peck ~ should be on here more regularly now I've packed in my 2nd job :)

That's a nice example. Earlier this year (or maybe at the back end of last year) an aUNC F7 sold on eBay for close to £2k. It was part of the penny collection being sold by a lady who, I think, was selling her ex-husbands collection. Anyway I was out to dinner that evening so had to proxy bid and lost out at around £1900, as I recall. I've picked up another example since, but it's not as good.

That's a nice example. Earlier this year (or maybe at the back end of last year) an aUNC F7 sold on eBay for close to £2k. It was part of the penny collection being sold by a lady who, I think, was selling her ex-husbands collection. Anyway I was out to dinner that evening so had to proxy bid and lost out at around £1900, as I recall. I've picked up another example since, but it's not as good.

Thanks. They're certainly quite hard to get in high grade, so you were really unlucky not to get the one you mentioned. Freeman has them at R15 (101 to 250 extant). An aUNC specimen would be to die for, and I'd have dipped into my savings to compete for that one as well. Completely missed it at the time.

Thanks. They're certainly quite hard to get in high grade, so you were really unlucky not to get the one you mentioned. Freeman has them at R15 (101 to 250 extant). An aUNC specimen would be to die for, and I'd have dipped into my savings to compete for that one as well. Completely missed it at the time.

Mine has almost no lustre, but perfect fields and just some rubbing of the high points. A dealer might say 'cabinet friction' :blink:

Penny1860%20F7%201%20+%20C%20REV%20500x5

Mine has almost no lustre, but perfect fields and just some rubbing of the high points. A dealer might say 'cabinet friction' :blink:

Really nice Penny!

I've had some good results with topcarp2 also, even had a couple of pleasing offers outside of eBay, which have turned up in a very pleasing state! :)

Edit; Another occasion where I should zip it...I'm pretty sure I'm watching a few of his right now!

Double edit: Upon checking, I've just realised I'm not but, horror of horrors, I've just realised I've got a country*kitchens*and*bathroom*interiors in there! (Smiley with shocked open mouth)!

Edited by Coinery

I'd like to stick up for Mr Lucido too ! His coins still generally get my interest, although not so many bids these days.

Over the years I've bought, lets see, 26 coins from Rob Walker, and those that have been moved on since have all made good money, so no duffers in there.

Plenty of sellers of absolute junk out there, and Lucido is not one of them. In fact, in my early days, he was quite the inspiration.

Yes, I've bought one or two from him as well. He rarely seems to sell absolute top of the range UNC, but they are nonetheless always good, solid quality coins, and his pics are usually excellent. Pity he decided not to join.

Anybody noticed the e bay seller called "topcarp2". He sells some really high quality material. Dare I say it, too good for e bay. Gives a great description and is very knowledgeable. Says he has enjoyed numismatics for 48 years. I bet he'd be a useful addition on this forum.

link

I think i've heard Of this seller before in another form perhaps, or maybe just my suspicious mind

link

I think i've heard Of this seller before in another form perhaps, or maybe just my suspicious mind

Maybe suspicious, Dave. I don't know much about hs background, but I do know he sells real top end coins.

Really nice Penny!

With proof like fields, I agree Bob.

There a whole string of 1860s, fairly accurately idenitified as far as I can make out, but all below the grade I'd be happy with, rare or not, coming up in a couple of hours. Here's the F7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1860-Penny-1C-/331023206830?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item4d128549ae

Yes, I noticed all of Ricky's 1860's. All accurately ID'd as you say, Declan, but none in a condition which would cause a seriously chasing pack. That one went for just £62.

There a whole string of 1860s, fairly accurately idenitified as far as I can make out, but all below the grade I'd be happy with, rare or not, coming up in a couple of hours. Here's the F7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1860-Penny-1C-/331023206830?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item4d128549ae

Yes, I noticed all of Ricky's 1860's. All accurately ID'd as you say, Declan, but none in a condition which would cause a seriously chasing pack. That one went for just £62.

Yes, I'm keeping my powder dry for theflyer in a few minutes time! His coins are always better than his photos. Sort of information I ought to keep to myself really!

Yes, I'm keeping my powder dry for theflyer in a few minutes time! His coins are always better than his photos. Sort of information I ought to keep to myself really!

I like that guy ~ Lloyd Roberts is his real name I think. Got a fantastic UNC 1880 penny from him a couple of years back, for just £85. Pure bargain.

Wish I spotted this first, could've saved us a couple of quid! Did you have those OH pennies, grrr? :)

Funny, somehow I recall Lloyd getting into some scrape or another. I had bought a couple of bits off him of decent quality at fair prices as well.

Does anybody remember the gossip? Hello, Rob!

Funny, somehow I recall Lloyd getting into some scrape or another. I had bought a couple of bits off him of decent quality at fair prices as well.

Does anybody remember the gossip? Hello, Rob!

Is it the same Lloyd? I believe there is another coin dealer (coin division ? or something like that) with exactly the same name.

Hmmm, could be of course. Don't want to talk badly about anyone!

Did you have those OH pennies, grrr? :)

I got the 1884, the 1894, and the 1898, but I did bid on most of them, so that's a success rate of under 50%. I still bid too low on most occasions I think.

I suspect the 1884 is a classic duff photo, good coin.

I don't know much about his background, but I do know he sells real top end coins.

Well, there's a turnup. I just found out who topcarp2 is....

only John Jerrams.

I don't know much about his background, but I do know he sells real top end coins.

Well, there's a turnup. I just found out who topcarp2 is....

only John Jerrams.

I'm pretty sure he's written a book on early bronze pennies, Declan. How did you find out, as a matter of interest ?

Did you have those OH pennies, grrr? :)

I got the 1884, the 1894, and the 1898, but I did bid on most of them, so that's a success rate of under 50%. I still bid too low on most occasions I think.

I suspect the 1884 is a classic duff photo, good coin.

Well done. It's still a reasonably good success rate.

I've noticed that despite the apparently high mintage, it's quite difficult to get a really decent UNC 1884. They all seem dirty, stained or mottled.

I'm pretty sure he's written a book on early bronze pennies, Declan. How did you find out, as a matter of interest ?

That's the one, '49. Satin numbers and all that. I've asked him if I can buy a copy from him, as I have not managed to track one down thus far. It all started because he has a low grade 1904 penny on eBay with an unusual pointing on the 4, so I told him about Dave Groom's book, and that Dave goes into some detail on the myriad micros for 1904. Obviously he's interested in scarcity but neither I nor Groom can help him there. He was surprised he hadn't come across the Groom books before and in the course of the conversation he let me know who he was.

Hopefully he'll get back to me about the book - that will be another gap in the library filled!