British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Just picked this one up. What would you give for grade? Described as Beaded border? Looks toothed to me

1860.jpg

Edited by azda

Just picked this one up. What would you give for grade? Described as Beaded border? Looks toothed to me

1860.jpg

Looks like a F13 (3 + D) in NEF to me. Definitely toothed border. The photo could give someone a slightly misleading impression in the area below the date.

Edit: It could be EF, it's hard to be sure from the photo.

Edited by Accumulator

Dave

Very nice coin.I do like the toning. :)

1860.jpg

GVF for me or a not very strong NEF. Definitely toothed border.

I'll throw up the plate size pictures when it arrives

I've never liked the cheek, brow, leaf, tonal-thing on any coin, or in any metal, especially when the contrast is quite strong. Not sure why, but not my favourite! Sorry, Dave! But love just about everything else you buy! :)

Edit: I do admit however that it's not as tonally contrasty as some! ;)

Edited by Coinery

No worries Stuart, coins are there to be drooled over, debated about and picked apart, and every coin is not to everyones taste. Saying all that, it was bought to sell as i've decided my interests will be in the civil war period as of next year due to me finally getting my job fulltime and not through an agency, so a hefty wee wage rise on the cards.

Just hoping to keep it hush hush from the boss though ;)

Edited by azda

No worries Stuart, coins are there to be drooled over, debated about and picked apart, and every coin is not to everyones taste. Saying all that, it was bought to sell as i've decided my interests will be in the civil war period as of next year due to me finally getting my job fulltime and not through an agency, so a hefty wee wage rise on the cards.

Just hoping to keep it hush hush from the boss though ;)

In which case I'll be your greatest fan, as this is the magical period for me, and one I hope to participate in myself at some point!

I'd die for a quality siege collection!

Let's talk next year about it! :)

Happy days, and good luck re the job security!

i've decided my interests will be in the civil war period as of next year due to me finally getting my job fulltime and not through an agency, so a hefty wee wage rise on the cards.

Congrats and good choice Dave!

I shall be interested to see any aquisitions.

And no(t much) competition from me I suspect, as the Tower issues during the war years weren't terribly varied.

;)

Edited by TomGoodheart

i've decided my interests will be in the civil war period as of next year due to me finally getting my job fulltime and not through an agency, so a hefty wee wage rise on the cards.

Congrats and good choice Dave!

I shall be interested to see any aquisitions.

And no(t much) competition from me I suspect, as the Tower issues during the war years weren't terribly varied.

;)

I just think it was a fantastic period of our history, some of the coins are scary Prices, but hoping to save for the harder pieces first then drop down a Level when i've got the more expensive coins. Speaking of which, just got this, hope you were'nt the other bidder Stuart :ph34r:

post-5057-0-16481600-1379245674_thumb.jp

Speaking of which, just got this, hope you were'nt the other bidder Stuart :ph34r:

Hah, no, not this time! :D

Forgive the long black hair that starts from the E of EDG, and passess in front the pellets, across Elizabeth's neck and chin, and off the coin through the I of SPINA - finding a hair on your coin, that you couldn't see whilst photographing it, should go in 'room 101' :angry:

Anyway, other than that, I don't recall seeing a better bust 6D than this, I think it's one of her most elegant punches. Shouldn't really have bought it, as I'm completely brassic, but I absolutely could not resist this one! :)

E1Halfgroat_zpsf54b57a4.jpg

E1Halfgroat_zps882b68d5.jpg

Lovely coin Stuart.

At least the hair isn't short and curly B)

I would've worried about trusting you with female monarch coins. :rolleyes:

Lovely coin Stuart.

At least the hair isn't short and curly B)

I would've worried about trusting you with female monarch coins. :rolleyes:

:D What with her being such a pretty girl on this coin an' all!

Forgive the long black hair that starts from the E of EDG, and passess in front the pellets, across Elizabeth's neck and chin, and off the coin through the I of SPINA - finding a hair on your coin, that you couldn't see whilst photographing it, should go in 'room 101' :angry:

Anyway, other than that, I don't recall seeing a better bust 6D than this, I think it's one of her most elegant punches. Shouldn't really have bought it, as I'm completely brassic, but I absolutely could not resist this one! :)

E1Halfgroat_zpsf54b57a4.jpg

A truly stunning example!

I can see why you bought it, nice coin imdeed

Thanks, chaps! Is it just me, or can I see Kate Blanchet in this bust! :D

If she had (a) black hair, maybe. ;)

Thanks, chaps! Is it just me, or can I see Kate Blanchet in this bust! :D

If she had (a) black hair, maybe. ;)

:lol: I really must be more careful in the future!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400568786717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

nothing like a bulk buy of 38 worn Viccies, and finding an 1871 and 1864 Serif 4

in fair, the are not even battered

Well, they ARE in the seller's description :D

yea but no one noticed cos that price is cheap as lol

Yes, true. I bought a pennies lot from W&W in the 90s, 1860 - 1967 more or less complete apart from the rare varieties (i.e. no 1865/3, 1875H, and certainly no open 3s, etc). There wasn't even an 1869.. apparently. But the penny in the flip dated 1868 turned out to be '69, albeit barely VG. :)

post-4682-0-74321800-1379754592_thumb.jp

Quite pleased with this 1860 F7 I obtained recently. Some lustre, but no more than NEF in grade. Still, a scarce piece.