British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

OK, you fellows are putting me into coin withdrawal as I did not bid. I love late pre-decimal coinage as well, and that is a very nice 1923 6d there. Wonder why there were evidently no copper-nickel fellows to the 3d and 1/- patterns of that year?

On a separate note, the 1862 is a rare date but in my experience not prohibitively so except in absolute top grade. Still fun to have these in any grade however.

Which 1925 was it? Despite the closeness of the Spink values, in my experience the first (thin rim) type is much scarcer especially in top grade.

I agree, Peck. Ratio of 17/3 have passed through my hands, 17 broad, three narrow.

Got this today.

Very nice. Like the Thaler too although I don't know enough about them to be properly appreciative.

Which 1925 was it? Despite the closeness of the Spink values, in my experience the first (thin rim) type is much scarcer especially in top grade.

I agree, Peck. Ratio of 17/3 have passed through my hands, 17 broad, three narrow.
I really like your stats, Declan, they've popped up a few times. I really wish I'd been in a place to be as organised, the statistical opportunities I've missed already! :(

I really like your stats, Declan, they've popped up a few times. I really wish I'd been in a place to be as organised, the statistical opportunities I've missed already! :(

My own "Sales" database would record that information, but I never sold enough 1925 sixpences to make it statistically significant. Declan has, and his stats seem to bear out what I've long suspected.

Couldn't resist this one :) Watch chain with a contemporary counterfeit 1816 shilling (variation F601o_F601r)
F601o_F601r5_chain_72dpi_zps5cdaf44e.jpg

Been on a bit of a run :):(

Food poisoning from cockles I had on Saturday and have managed to lose 10lbs.

However not all is wasted as I picked up from my preferred US dealer a 1771 B and type 2 1773 farthing in VF (at least).

I have just secured an UNC 1953 2+a farthing as well.

Total outlay £62 :) delivered.

The only one I need was the 53.

But the other 2 should pay for the creams and tablets :unsure:

Been on a bit of a run :):(

Food poisoning from cockles I had on Saturday and have managed to lose 10lbs.

However not all is wasted as I picked up from my preferred US dealer a 1771 B and type 2 1773 farthing in VF (at least).

I have just secured an UNC 1953 2+a farthing as well.

Total outlay £62 :) delivered.

The only one I need was the 53.

But the other 2 should pay for the creams and tablets :unsure:

Wow, that IS a long way to run - I'm surprised you only lost 10 lbs :D

I have the proof 1953 2+A, but not sure I've ever seen the currency version?

Both are rare but the currency takes it in the rarity factor.

All of those 53's that I have checked over the years is a thing of the past. :)

I did have one, in high grade - maybe not full UNC but certainly gEF or aUNC. Gone now, but I'm not neurotic about gaps anymore.

No really, I'm not. I'm not!

The obverse on the 53 2a is always a weak strike.

Once a micro variety collector always a micro variety collector. :ph34r:

some Indian stuff

Native states - Bundi Rupee, Edward VII cost me £12. but slisted weight at varying weights of silver 10.6-10.7g quoted.

don't know the date on these, or where it actually is, all i know is it is a nice lump of Hammered Silver.

£2

larger Indian temple token, probably about crown sized Procession of seven Rishis on one side, and simlar to one side of the below, I have no idea if it is silver or not though, seems to be very few with the design.

£1

regular sized temple token.

Ramatanka Temple , Lord Ramas Coronation ceremony - slightly differant to others I have seen.

but the dates they were used matches the Rupee, 19th-20th century and they were recycled so probably 19th century Examples.

My first milled half-sovereign counterfeit :D It's fairly crude so I think it may have been produced by the same engraver as the group E shillings.
half-sovereign_counterfeit_1817_zps16ae2

My first milled half-sovereign counterfeit :D It's fairly crude so I think it may have been produced by the same engraver as the group E shillings.

Nice!

Do you lead/display your collection of counterfeit types with a decent-grade, genuine, example of the coin?

Nice!

Do you lead/display your collection of counterfeit types with a decent-grade, genuine, example of the coin?

Unfortunately I can't afford to collect both counterfeits and the genuine coins in high grade :( So for the genuine I buy one from time to time and scans it for the archive and in order to use the scans on my web page at a later time.

Another not-a-coin for me. Officially speaking I won't know about this until Christmas day, but another addition to the library:

post-129-0-28832500-1378999209_thumb.jpg

Mostly for the Grant Francis article classifying the Tower shillings of Charles I, although really it's all pretty interesting stuff.

Yeah, I have the digital version in pdf. already. But I do prefer physical books I can make notes in!

:D

Well, spent $30 on the 'Bay and got 3 examples of coins:

$15 for a 1707 Anne halfcrown (holed)

$8 for a 1711 Anne 6d

$3 for a holed George I silver 1d (I think this is going on my keyring!)

Plus $4 for shipping.

Pics from eBay here:

http://imgur.com/a/gGIUC

Plus the 6d obverse that didn't upload

mblqO73.jpg

Nothing too exciting, but I figured it wasn't a bad deal for $30.

I like the idea of the key ring giving George a second life.

The 6d & 2/6d are pieces i bet will always remain your collection :)

Not for me I'm afraid. They are not pieces I would enjoy owning even at $30.

Not for me I'm afraid. They are not pieces I would enjoy owning even at $30.

All kinds of budgets on here, Jaggy, and thankfully too! I always think of the number of rarities and varieties, which would have long since disappeared and be unavailable for numismatic study, but for the likes of people like Scott & GL (for example)! :)