British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Come back Pies/Simon! (I think he's gone!)

I Feel emotional. I'm sure i did'nt insult him or his coin that much, geez Stuart mentioned the prints on his 1897 Penny so i hope he's not doing any Self harming.

Fingerprints for me are all about whether they look like full-on fingerprints (ie have they started to curve)! Whilst we all know the mark of a print on a coin, provided they aren't 'shaped' so tellingly that they ID the perpetrator, sometimes they aren't so terrible, and can be no more distracting than a streaky tone which, incidentally, can be damned attractive sometimes!

150 year-old coins are going to have at least a little character, I'd be damned suspicious if they didn't to be honest!

I genuinely like your coin, AS is, I think it's pretty!

I do enjoy the diversity of opinions on here, it wouldn't be worth the check-in otherwise! :)

if i had perfect coins, i would have none, because even the the 2008 and later coins suck lol

but whats the point in perfect, some coins dont exist in perfect.

I've even had wee run-ins with Peck over coins and grading, we had a bitch and it was done

OMG - when? Did we? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! :o

LOL :D

if i had perfect coins, i would have none, because even the the 2008 and later coins suck lol

but whats the point in perfect, some coins dont exist in perfect.

There is no Perfect coin Scott

I've even had wee run-ins with Peck over coins and grading, we had a bitch and it was done

OMG - when? Did we? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! :o

LOL :D

See, he's still an auld fart :)

Not a high grade, but it's a rare year for sixpences.

Indeed ... I believe it is an R2. Nice coin.

Won this one at London Coins:

denq.jpg
x2iz.jpg
I already had an EF & a VF for that year but this one is rather better.

denq.jpg

x2iz.jpg

Nice coin. I got my own BU from Format Coins some years ago. Would it be rude to ask how much you paid? I only ask because in the 60s and 70s it was rated a 'key date', but the differential has gradually narrowed until now it's virtually the same as the dates around it.

denq.jpg

x2iz.jpg

Nice coin. I got my own BU from Format Coins some years ago. Would it be rude to ask how much you paid? I only ask because in the 60s and 70s it was rated a 'key date', but the differential has gradually narrowed until now it's virtually the same as the dates around it.

Not rude .... I paid 60 pounds for it.

It wasn't actually on my 'must buy' list. But there was nothing in this particular auction that was. So I focused on making qualitative improvements to certain dates. I had bid on a 1925 sixpence as well and was somewhat surprised to see that one go for 75 pounds which was well above what I thought it was worth.

R3 according to ESC with 1863 as R2. But 1848 and 1854 are both R3 and they are much rarer than 1862 or 1863.

R3 according to ESC with 1863 as R2. But 1848 and 1854 are both R3 and they are much rarer than 1862 or 1863.

Not according to my copy of ESC (Fourth Revised Edition, 1974). It lists both 1862 and 1863 as R2. Agree on the 1848 & 1854. They are both on my 'must buy' list.

Not according to my copy of ESC (Fourth Revised Edition, 1974). It lists both 1862 and 1863 as R2. Agree on the 1848 & 1854. They are both on my 'must buy' list.

I was quoting the 'Fifth (Revised) Ediiton, 1992'. You may have a bit of competition if an 1848 or 1854 appear at auction.

Edited by Nick

I was quoting the 'Fifth (Revised) Ediiton, 1992'. You may have a bit of competition if an 1848 or 1854 appear at auction.

Interesting. Maybe I need to update my ESC.

Sadly, I think I already have all the 'easy wins' in my collection. So I expect competition for the coins I really want. Hopefully, a couple of my investments will pay out big enough to fund my coin habit.

The 2 of the date looks out of place, looks larger than the others, or is it the picture

The 2 of the date looks out of place, looks larger than the others, or is it the picture

The 2 is consistent with my own 1862 sixpence.

jzp5.jpg
Edited by jaggy

The 2 does look slightly larger than the other digits and is slightly angled towards the 6, but with digits punched in by hand - I guess all manner of variations are possible.

Hardly a washer, a VERY acceptable example! Just out of interest, what's your date range, Nick?

Hardly a washer, a VERY acceptable example! Just out of interest, what's your date range, Nick?

I'm very happy with it, they are very difficult to come by. My date range is start of George III new coinage to the end of pre-decimal (ie 1816 to 1967).

denq.jpg

x2iz.jpg

It wasn't actually on my 'must buy' list. But there was nothing in this particular auction that was. So I focused on making qualitative improvements to certain dates. I had bid on a 1925 sixpence as well and was somewhat surprised to see that one go for 75 pounds which was well above what I thought it was worth.

Which 1925 was it? Despite the closeness of the Spink values, in my experience the first (thin rim) type is much scarcer especially in top grade.

denq.jpg

x2iz.jpg

Which 1925 was it? Despite the closeness of the Spink values, in my experience the first (thin rim) type is much scarcer especially in top grade.

It was a Broad Rim

Edited by jaggy

And this. I have been to Germany for holiday for a couple of times and have really enjoyed myself in Saxony. However, I did not buy any souvenir. So I brought this thaler instead as my one off venture into "foreign" coins

post-7623-0-37071000-1378152137_thumb.jp

denq.jpg

x2iz.jpg

It was a Broad Rim

Someone definitely paid over the odds! Perhaps they were seduced by the magic date of 1925, not realising that sixpences are no way like halfcrowns, florins, or even shillings.

Got this today.

Nice :)