British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Okay, just got this response:

Thanks for the invite but looking at some of the threads it seems I have long been a subject of much critisism. I like selling coins and make a useful second income from ebay over the last 12 years. Not bad for someone who knows bugger all about coins !

Kind regards Rob

Rob, we're a good sort here, don't be put off by some of the comments, you can't know everything, none of us do, we'll all get caught once and a while, it's all part of the 'curve'!

Welcome if you come aboard!

I also sent this back to his email, and have no qualms about sharing it ... I think maybe we could be a bit more welcoming sometimes!

Hi again

Fair enough, the invitation was not motivated by anything other than positive intentions, NOT an opportunity for you to be hauled over the coals or asked to defend yourself!

Among many other things, you might find that forum members could help identify varieties for you, and you might avoid more of those pesky eBay and Paypal fees by doing deals directly!
Take care
Paul

It's not often I get anything worthy of posting here but I think this one just about hits the spot. I'm sure everyone has a bogey coin or two in their collection, my main two are the 1911 Halfpenny with the narrow date and shallow neck, I have one but in about Fine. The other is the 1913 Freeman 175, again not much better than a washer. Freeman rates it a N but from experience they seldom come up. I would say the F176 at R is more available. So I have been chasing these two for several years, about 8 from memory. The last F175 that I recall seeing was the Workman piece about 3 years ago which went for a staggering £220 hammer, I was expecting to pay £100-150 tops for one so I let it go. Well three years later this one comes along from Mr Lucido, a bit weak but only a hint of shine to Britannia's fingers and a mere hint of ware to the tip of George's mustache. And for a much more reasonable price. :)

attachicon.gif1913 1+B (Custom).jpg

Very nice, Gary! And did Mr Lucido know what he had?

It was listed as a standard 1913. I was hoping no-one else had noticed - my snipe didn't even get a look in :(

You were being much too timid, thank you. I wasn't going to let this one slip away. Spinks quotes £90 UNC, my snipe was for a significant amount.

Spink doesn't list it.

I'd like to stick up for Mr Lucido too ! His coins still generally get my interest, although not so many bids these days.

Over the years I've bought, lets see, 26 coins from Rob Walker, and those that have been moved on since have all made good money, so no duffers in there.

Plenty of sellers of absolute junk out there, and Lucido is not one of them. In fact, in my early days, he was quite the inspiration.

probably bought 1 or 2 myself

and got a 2013 10p today :D

and got a 2013 10p today :D

You do make me wobble sometimes, Scott! :D

It's not often I get anything worthy of posting here but I think this one just about hits the spot. I'm sure everyone has a bogey coin or two in their collection, my main two are the 1911 Halfpenny with the narrow date and shallow neck, I have one but in about Fine. The other is the 1913 Freeman 175, again not much better than a washer. Freeman rates it a N but from experience they seldom come up. I would say the F176 at R is more available. So I have been chasing these two for several years, about 8 from memory. The last F175 that I recall seeing was the Workman piece about 3 years ago which went for a staggering £220 hammer, I was expecting to pay £100-150 tops for one so I let it go. Well three years later this one comes along from Mr Lucido, a bit weak but only a hint of shine to Britannia's fingers and a mere hint of ware to the tip of George's mustache. And for a much more reasonable price. :)

attachicon.gif1913 1+B (Custom).jpg

Very nice, Gary! And did Mr Lucido know what he had?

It was listed as a standard 1913. I was hoping no-one else had noticed - my snipe didn't even get a look in :(

You were being much too timid, thank you. I wasn't going to let this one slip away. Spinks quotes £90 UNC, my snipe was for a significant amount.

Spink doesn't list it.

My error, I meant the standard 1913. Although as there are 4 of them I'm not sure which one is the standard. This is the problem with varieties, if Spink doesn't list them they attract very little interest. I know when I've listed varieties on ebay, and I'm sure Declan can vouch for this, they don't exactly fly.

I'd like to stick up for Mr Lucido too ! His coins still generally get my interest, although not so many bids these days.

Over the years I've bought, lets see, 26 coins from Rob Walker, and those that have been moved on since have all made good money, so no duffers in there.

Plenty of sellers of absolute junk out there, and Lucido is not one of them. In fact, in my early days, he was quite the inspiration.

Agreed. I was always impressed by the quality of his pictures - you could see clearly what you were bidding on. I was surprised to read negative comments here. I hope he joins us anyway. :)

same here, I've had one or two nice coins

is he the ebayer who always photos his coins in his hands ?

is he the ebayer who always photos his coins in his hands ?

Yep, the very same.

Better than his arse cheeks. :)

WHAAAA????!!!!! lol you really are a complete nutter Peter! :lol:

:D

Mrs Peter loves me :)

I have a front door that doesn't open A hire car on the driveway,freewiew is not working on my 52 incher.Mrs Peter has yet again moved my coins and buggered up the trays.

I've got a 17 year old daughter who is up the duff to a para .Mrs Peter has said she wants to kill him....I just hide :(

Just have pets and shag when available. :mellow:

not the pets

:)

I have a front door that doesn't open A hire car on the driveway,freewiew is not working on my 52 incher.Mrs Peter has yet again moved my coins and buggered up the trays.

I've got a 17 year old daughter who is up the duff to a para .Mrs Peter has said she wants to kill him....I just hide :(

Sounds like normal suburban life to me.

I wonder if you could make a TV soap out of it all. A sort of male version of Mrs Brown's Boys? :huh:

How long have you been a member of this forum?!!! :lol:

How long have you been a member of this forum?!!! :lol:

He still manages to surprise me with what he comes out with from time to time! There's another post from him at 3 a.m. this morning (changes of circs thread) mentioning a flying condom, no idea!!

The 52 inch was his TV and the Shag was pipe tobacco, so grandpappy, you excited?

Sort of but I would have preffered a young farmer or public school chap.

Para boy constantly wants to pour beer down my neck.

BTW A flying condom is the most popular Salmon lure.

Get out more Paulus. :rolleyes:

I mentioned the hire car :angry:

The 2nd clutch has just gone on Mrs Peter's car (10,000)miles ago was the last one.Para boy might have his use in tomorrows negotiations.

Hopefully Para Boy might have a commission?

Once again I'm a bit behind sorting out my contemporary counterfeits aquistions. As usual about half of them are shillings...

66_shillings_zpsf2088aed.jpg