British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Couldn't resist this F174 1913 penny, usually so difficult to find a good portrait

can't wait to get it in hand :rolleyes:

Beautiful crisp and clear strike, and well worth what you paid IMO :)

Couldn't resist this F174 1913 penny, usually so difficult to find a good portrait

Cricky, and very little penalty to pay on the reverse, either, for such a strong obverse strike!

Good buy!

Surprisingly, the anti-ghosting revisions introduced in 1913 (2nd obverse), cause much worse strikes to Britannia (face and chest) than do Obverse 1; the reverses between 1911-13 - rims notwithstanding, the lack of which causes a lot of early wear - are often very well struck on high grade specimens.

Duly copied and pasted! ;)

Cricky, and very little penalty to pay on the reverse, either, for such a strong obverse strike!

Good buy!

It looks vaguely familiar. In around 2004 there was a similarly well struck 1913 penny on ebay that I forgot to bid on, but was won by an American bidder. It sold for just over £16 at the time. I didn't collect pennies, but it looked like a coin that I ought to buy and keep being so noticeably strong on the obverse and again well struck on the reverse too.
I can completely understand how you'd never forget a quality strike of anything, especially if you'd missed it on account of a busy day! A very nice penny indeed!

Would appreciate Richard (tomgoodheart) opinion and Robs on this one

Sorry! I've been on holiday. I assume you haven't bought it yet Dave? If so, personally I wouldn't. :unsure:

It's nice and round and, coming from the Messing hoard, is probably much as struck but the portrait is rather weak. Now decent portraits in this series aren't easy to find. But the price I saw was too much and I'd think you could get better for the money.

Interestingly the doubling of the A in CAROLVS appears not to be due to double striking but a die error.

post-129-0-36605300-1376157301_thumb.jpg

The above coin shows the same error. It sold for £200 in 2003. ....

Im really pleased with this crown, i bought it from Richard Groves, one of my fav dealers. have a look at his website www.worldcoins.biz

Ski

post-5911-0-57285400-1376167414_thumb.jp

and the reverse..........ski

post-5911-0-92489300-1376167655_thumb.jp

went to dealers and saw farthings.... LOTS OF FARTHINGS!!!!

and went and spent £55 on the little blighters >.>

well total was £58 but got a few quid off to make life easier.

lets start at the top. dunno where he got these things from, but they were in pges, and look like a fairly old collection, even more Bizzare is it had SIX YH 1895!!!, although it looks like the previous collector new something ebcause there was 1858 small date ticket in there (although couldn't see it there :()

£10

1895 YH - nicest one there IMO, was another quoted at £20 but there was no lustre traces, perhaps a bit less wear on it but not £10 worth of differance.

the one i got is VF, wear on viccy mainly, but faint lustre traces in the lettering.

£8.

1806, VF+ hard to tell possibly EF and toned.

1826 will be safe and say VF - but no visible wear, just a darker patch on the portrait has a higher 6

£6

1827 would be around the same grade above, VF/EF boarder no lustre on either

cant remember...

1843 VF+ in looks, but ding on viccie and a spot of verd at the top in the rim.

1845 small narrow date VF looks like a weak strike on viccy as reverse is a very strong stike

both these were £6-8 only

£3

1697, weak strike reverse, but a good obverse

best ones were probably the £2. and £1.50 charles II/ 1 1894 and a 1700.

all worn but one of the charles would probably cost a good tenner on ebay

Imissed 2 out.

1896 near full lustre, not darkened

1902 semi darkened? (obverse is not darkened at all and reverse is more brown)

Imissed 2 out.

1896 near full lustre, not darkened

1902 semi darkened? (obverse is not darkened at all and reverse is more brown)

Define "not darkened" scott? That phrase covers a multitude of sins!

the coin isn't black, the obverse has the orange lustre, slightly faded but clear, and reverse is darkened.

and not darkened is, the same as a normal bronze issue. with the orange lustre.

oh and one of these Charles II is probably in fine, just can't make out the last date numeral

Edited by scott

the coin isn't black, the obverse has the orange lustre, slightly faded but clear, and reverse is darkened.

and not darkened is, the same as a normal bronze issue. with the orange lustre.

oh and one of these Charles II is probably in fine, just can't make out the last date numeral

The reason I ask is, a lot of those Ed VII farthings were artificially lustred - whether contemporary to pass off as half sovs, or later to fool collectors into thinking they are rare escapes from the darkening process. I've had a few pass through my hands, and you can always tell it's not real lustre. (Of course, worn specimens look exactly the same as non-darkened issues - lustre / 'darkening' only apply to top grade coins, though artificial lustre survives to quite low grades as it's an external finish and not a quality of the blank itself).

OK, not a coin. But it is coin related! The catalogue from Part IV of the Lockett sale (English Part II), October 1956, with prices and buyers names. Another little step towards being a numismatist maybe .. :D

post-129-0-03036300-1376585736_thumb.jpg

OK, not a coin. But it is coin related! The catalogue from Part IV of the Lockett sale (English Part II), October 1956, with prices and buyers names. Another little step towards being a numismatist maybe .. :D

attachicon.gifLockett IV English II cover.jpg

I assume Rob already has that one? Nice acquisition anyway.

Lockett IV English II cover.jpg

Yep & yep! Very nice TG, the books are as great as the coins!

The pleasure of coin collecting is at its best for me, when you pull together coin, literature, a dollop of curiosity, and whip it all together to then happily stumble upon a new understanding about the hallowed world of numismatics!

Hallelujah a new trinity!

Too much farmhouse, sorry chaps! :D

attachicon.gifLockett IV English II cover.jpg

I assume Rob already has that one? Nice acquisition anyway.

Doesn't Rob have everything? :lol:

But yes, I'm sure he has Locketts-a-plenty, certainly this one as he's the one that pointed me to the fact that one of my coins is in it!

(Thanks Rob. I would have bought the catalogue from him too, but it had been sold).

Edited by TomGoodheart

It's not often I get anything worthy of posting here but I think this one just about hits the spot. I'm sure everyone has a bogey coin or two in their collection, my main two are the 1911 Halfpenny with the narrow date and shallow neck, I have one but in about Fine. The other is the 1913 Freeman 175, again not much better than a washer. Freeman rates it a N but from experience they seldom come up. I would say the F176 at R is more available. So I have been chasing these two for several years, about 8 from memory. The last F175 that I recall seeing was the Workman piece about 3 years ago which went for a staggering £220 hammer, I was expecting to pay £100-150 tops for one so I let it go. Well three years later this one comes along from Mr Lucido, a bit weak but only a hint of shine to Britannia's fingers and a mere hint of ware to the tip of George's mustache. And for a much more reasonable price. :)

post-462-0-16819400-1377016160_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary D

It's not often I get anything worthy of posting here but I think this one just about hits the spot. I'm sure everyone has a bogey coin or two in their collection, my main two are the 1911 Halfpenny with the narrow date and shallow neck, I have one but in about Fine. The other is the 1913 Freeman 175, again not much better than a washer. Freeman rates it a N but from experience they seldom come up. I would say the F176 at R is more available. So I have been chasing these two for several years, about 8 from memory. The last F175 that I recall seeing was the Workman piece about 3 years ago which went for a staggering £220 hammer, I was expecting to pay £100-150 tops for one so I let it go. Well three years later this one comes along from Mr Lucido, a bit weak but only a hint of shine to Britannia's fingers and a mere hint of ware to the tip of George's mustache. And for a much more reasonable price. :)

attachicon.gif1913 1+B (Custom).jpg

Very nice, Gary! And did Mr Lucido know what he had?

It was listed as a standard 1913. I was hoping no-one else had noticed - my snipe didn't even get a look in :(

For all the 'derogatories' we send Monsieur Le Lucido's way, I'd say he's been worth it in the end! ;)

For all the 'derogatories' we send Monsieur Le Lucido's way, I'd say he's been worth it in the end! ;)

Agreed! I wonder if he reads our Forum ...

It would do him some good if he did! Who in their right minds would want to be a part of the 'scene' and be either selling OR buying and know bugger all about coins?

We should invite him to the forum and give him a chance to be serious! He is, after all, selling quite a lot of material, his selling experience would benefit us all I'd think ?

It would do him some good if he did! Who in their right minds would want to be a part of the 'scene' and be either selling OR buying and know bugger all about coins?

We should invite him to the forum and give him a chance to be serious! He is, after all, selling quite a lot of material, his selling experience would benefit us all I'd think ?

Yes we should, I am going to send him an invite now with a link to this page in it!!

Done - email send to Robert Walker (Lucido_8)

Edited by Paulus

It was listed as a standard 1913. I was hoping no-one else had noticed - my snipe didn't even get a look in :(

You were being much too timid, thank you. I wasn't going to let this one slip away. Spinks quotes £90 UNC, my snipe was for a significant amount.

Yes we should, I am going to send him an invite now with a link to this page in it!!

Done - email send to Robert Walker (Lucido_8)

On the few occasions I've had dealings with Rob everything has been tickety boo.

Good for you, Paulus...Lucido, join the forum, IF you're serious...welcome aboard if you are!

Okay, just got this response:

Thanks for the invite but looking at some of the threads it seems I have long been a subject of much critisism. I like selling coins and make a useful second income from ebay over the last 12 years. Not bad for someone who knows bugger all about coins !
Kind regards Rob