British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

Looks like a VF or GVF to me. Worth around £7-£10

Would appreciate Richard (tomgoodheart) opinion and Robs on this one

post-5057-0-92000200-1374960061_thumb.jp

post-5057-0-50219200-1374960084_thumb.jp

Looks like a VF or GVF to me. Worth around £7-£10

Agreed

Would appreciate Richard (tomgoodheart) opinion and Robs on this one

It's a bit weak on the portrait, but everything has a price. At least it is round and not double struck.

I'm always happy when I find a new George IV contemporary counterfeit variation - This is my 2nd half-sovereign :) (both are 1825)

counterfeit_george_iv_halfsovereign_1825

I'm always happy when I find a new George IV contemporary counterfeit variation - This is my 2nd half-sovereign :) (both are 1825)

What plans do you have for this ever expanding collection, seuk? It would be a shame if such a resource was ever broken up, as are most of the great collections of historic coins!

I guess most genuine coins can stand alone outside of the context of a famous collection, however, your coins are very much dependent one upon the other, at least that's how I understand it?

Nice find, happy days! :)

What plans do you have for this ever expanding collection, seuk? It would be a shame if such a resource was ever broken up, as are most of the great collections of historic coins!

I guess most genuine coins can stand alone outside of the context of a famous collection, however, your coins are very much dependent one upon the other, at least that's how I understand it?

Nice find, happy days! :)

The gold counterfeits may be a different story - However of the silver counterfeits nearly all seems to be connected to each other hence belonging to some sort of loosely organized criminal network. I hope to be able to link the punches with other products (tokens, counters, medals etc) in order to date the counterfeits more precisely and perhaps even indetify some of the engravers involved.

I have a Victoria sovereign counterfeit struck in platinum!! Ironically when I bought it platinum was worth far more than gold!!!!

I have a Victoria sovereign counterfeit struck in platinum!! Ironically when I bought it platinum was worth far more than gold!!!!

You mean it isn't anymore? When did gold overtake platinum in value?

Wow. Bet your girlfriend still insists on that platinum earring though :lol:

It has to be some kind of white Welsh Celtic gold or summat :( For some reason a Viccy 3d silver bracelet doesn't appeal, takes all sorts I guess!

To be fair I am talking when a sov was worth about £50 and and platinum was 3 times that amt ;-) and it wasn't that long ago!!!!

To be fair I am talking when a sov was worth about £50 and and platinum was 3 times that amt ;-) and it wasn't that long ago!!!!

No - I remember in the late 90s when sovs went down to that price. I'm now kicking myself I didn't pick up a nice little collection of 'em when I could :( - would be a nice little earner now :)

Hindsight and all that ;-)

Couldn't resist this F174 1913 penny, usually so difficult to find a good portrait

can't wait to get it in hand :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist this F174 1913 penny, usually so difficult to find a good portrait

I ummed and ahhed about that one. I think you'd have rightly kicked my arse though if I'd had a go... :) I'm such a cheapskate.

nice penny :) I didnt realise 1913 was a difficult year,another school day :)

nice penny :) I didnt realise 1913 was a difficult year,another school day :)

There are 4 types F174 1+a fairly common, but this one far better struck than normal

F175 1+b v. scarce - still looking for a decent example, mine is cr*p average circulated

F176 2+a scarce

F177 2+b v.common

This one has been on my must have list for a while...

british-historical-medals_zps8bcec5b9.jp

Cricky, and very little penalty to pay on the reverse, either, for such a strong obverse strike!

Good buy!

That is a fantastic strike. :)

Cricky, and very little penalty to pay on the reverse, either, for such a strong obverse strike!

Good buy!

It looks vaguely familiar. In around 2004 there was a similarly well struck 1913 penny on ebay that I forgot to bid on, but was won by an American bidder. It sold for just over £16 at the time. I didn't collect pennies, but it looked like a coin that I ought to buy and keep being so noticeably strong on the obverse and again well struck on the reverse too.

Beautiful crisp and clear strike, and well worth what you paid IMO :)

Good buy!

Surprisingly, the anti-ghosting revisions introduced in 1913 (2nd obverse), cause much worse strikes to Britannia (face and chest) than do Obverse 1; the reverses between 1911-13 - rims notwithstanding, the lack of which causes a lot of early wear - are often very well struck on high grade specimens.