British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
william

Far Eastern coin

I have a coin which I don't know anything about. It has a square hole in the middle, and around that are some strange letters. I think it is Chinese or Japanese. Can anybody confirm what country it is from, and give me a rough date. The Chinese letters are hard to see in the scan, so I have circled them. Here is a pic vvvv

Thanks

post-20-1082053218_thumb.jpg

Edited by william

chinese dynasty coin :)

Did I mention the obverse is blank?

i have one exactly like that :)

Yes it's a Chinese 'Cash' coin, the symbols should tell you the province and the ruler which enables rough dating. I can't make that one out at all. Most of them I find are dated 1790's - early 1900's.

:) Great, so it is definately Chinese. Any chance of a rough date?

as far as i know, all chinese dynasty coins are blank on one side :)

Yes it's a Chinese 'Cash' coin, the symbols should tell you the province and the ruler which enables rough dating. I can't make that one out at all. Most of them I find are dated 1790's - early 1900's.

Thanks for the info Chris and Master JMD

Edit: typing error!

Edited by william

The other side is blank? Could it just be very worn? I don't think I've come across a blank one before...Not they I pay them huge attention usually.

@chris, these coins are definately blank, i have seen 5 of them in my short life, and they were all blank...i also own one which is blank...

As far as i can see, the other side is blank. I can't see any trace of lettering anything else. All it has is four Chinese letters, and a hole!! :o

The fact that you have seen 5 in your short life doesn't mean they are all blank. Anyone out there with more 'Cash' knowledge??

Well, I can't find an exact match of my one on that site, but this one is the closest there is:

sch315_100.jpg

I didn't know anything about Chineese coins until now. Well, you know what they say, you learn something new every day!

I didn't know anything about Chineese coins until now. Well, you know what they say, you learn something new every day!

Yeah, I didn't know a thing about Chinese coins until I started this thread, and now I know a lot! :D

Here's another bit then... these coins were all made by casting. I saw some moulds in the British Museum once... they poured liquid metal in and made about 20 coins at a time. Then they have to cut the coins apart and file off the sprues, but sometimes they dig up whole sets still attached to each other.

How strange, it dosn't look like it's been made with a mould!

The end product looks good anyway!

Guest Kevin

This cash coin in qurstion is Japanese. (1600s-1800s)

The one shown by William if I remember correctly is Chinese and struck (~600-800 AD)

Guest kevin/ccg

Oops, that's the second one that's Chinese.

So my coin is Japanese, thanks a lot Kevin! :)