British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Irishraider

My newest 6p - 1914

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. My apologies. Here is my latest 6p that I got off of eBay recently. A very nice addition to my six pence collection, which is now growing rather well.

1914%20British%206p.jpg

1914%20British%206p%20rev.jpg

I really love collecting these. Just about the size of an American nickel, which is another one of my favorites, and with silver content up until 1946, I just somehow gravitated toward them when I purchased my first batch. Enjoy the pictures. Comments always welcome.

This example is .925 silver, they went .500 after 1920, then cupro-nickel after 1947. Neat example of a WWI era tanner.

Nice coin Irishraider. I collect Edward VII Shillings which is a similar design.

Nice coin Irishraider. I collect Edward VII Shillings which is a similar design.

Hi Hussulo, MichaelGoulby appears to have found another obverse type for the 1903 shilling which he rates a very scarse. The reason I say appears to have found is that I have this one already and searching ebay have found others so I'm wondering if there are really 3 types. Have you come across this.

Hi Hussulo, MichaelGoulby appears to have found another obverse type for the 1903 shilling which he rates a very scarse. The reason I say appears to have found is that I have this one already and searching ebay have found others so I'm wondering if there are really 3 types. Have you come across this.

Hi Gary,

In actual fact I haven't got any 1903's. What is the difference in the obverse for this said variety?

The only Edward VII Shillings I have got at the moment are, 1902, 1907 and 1902 proof. It is a side line collecting interest at the moment, which i hope to add to. I know some dates will be tough to find in higher grades.

I am the proud owner of 11 shillings; 10 of which all come from the 1950's!!! and the 11th is a 1910 Edward VII Shilling which I posted on the forum a few weeks ago because he has a facial mole!

Thanks to you all for the kind comments. I have more if you would like to see them? I finally got me a decent camera and have started cataloging my collection since last night. These are some of the first pics I took.

Here is my 1935 which I really like alot. I like all my tanners actually, lol.

1935%20British%206p.jpg

1935%20British%206p%20rev.jpg

It's nice to finally have a camera.

:)

Hey, I didn't know anybody else loved these bits. I like the E7 shillings but have the 6ds and was able to get VERY nice ones of all the dates 1902-1952 some 8-10 years ago. I think they are still around in reasonable quantity and quality so with persistence a nice set can be built.

I do not have Gouby so would you be able to post up pictures of the relevant pages and blame me for it so no coypwright (sp?) issues?

I know this is not the sales part of this and so am not selling anything but would add the following PS - Hussolo PM in the next week or so as I may have a GEF (AU) 1905 shilling possibly up for trade.

I've got a small collection of 6d and 3d coins. I really like them. The 1914 is a beauty. Most of mine from that time period are well worn. I also have a mini-set I'm gathering of the 3d and 6d from each country in the world that has issued those denominations. Not too easy to fill that one.

Most dealer have 6d and 3d depends on the grade, low grade they ignore but I get them,if I have some money still into worn circulated pennies going up in denomination is very expensive and dont have the book of davies or goulby yet.

Michael Gouby is the author of the website Michael Coins (http://www.michael-coins.co.uk), he has published a couple of reference works on Bronze Pennies and the mintage thereof, and I believe he had a hand in updating Freemans work republished last year.

Yeap.I also thinks they are modifying the other denomination or new find, sometimes I visit thier site

"I know this is not the sales part of this and so am not selling anything but would add the following PS - Hussolo PM in the next week or so as I may have a GEF (AU) 1905 shilling possibly up for trade."

Will do, thanks! :)

Neat 6d holder Geordie!

"I'm gathering of the 3d and 6d from each country in the world"

Wow that will be a hard task Art.

Art is a US copper Buff....arn't you Art?

20C British silver is bargain basement. ;)

BTW I like US copper.....recent BU stuff is cheap (1940's to date).

I love the early large Cents and Indians.

I also recently picked up a few Indian Head Cents for £1.50 each from a local antique centre.including 1875 in VF+

Early large cents are up there with George 1 1/2ds.

Are there really two types for 1887? My album is a Gardmaster and it does a good job. Only thing is it wasn't marked and I had to handwrite all the dates. I think I may have messed up a bit but that is what they make white out for, lol. Too bad Dansco doesn't make albums for Canadian or British coinage.

Are there really two types for 1887? My album is a Gardmaster and it does a good job. Only thing is it wasn't marked and I had to handwrite all the dates. I think I may have messed up a bit but that is what they make white out for, lol. Too bad Dansco doesn't make albums for Canadian or British coinage.

IR,

You are right about Dansco, they make limited Canadian, FIJI, and Mexican, but have most all of Ireland and Australian. Since my U.S. collection is in Dansco, I also use them for English. I have the covers embossed by Dansco, and them make clear background labels, and affix them myself. It really gives a pretty good finish to the pages. A lot of work, but do-able if you like Dansco, which I do.

I also wish Dansco made British albums.

Bob C.

For interest! :P

The 'Pillar-box' 6d holder was to save up for a Wireless licence! It holds 40 ( or £1 ). I don't think the P.O. would issue a TV licence if I took it in! :D

Edited by Geordie582