British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I get a lot of comical emails from people that are just plain ingorant. This was one I got yesterday:

hi i was given a 1965 coin of winston Churchill and looked

it up on verious sits and books and was woundering if u would be

intrested in this on the other side of the coin there is a picture of

queen elizabeth 2

and i latin the sayin

DEI GRATIA REGINA F.D.

and i was woundering if u would be intrested i have recived a offer for

it for 600 pounds but you cum highly reccemended so please if u wud

like this i wll let u for 600 or 550

To which my reply was:

What are you talking about?? No one that wasn't in a straight jacket

or on serious medication would pay £600 for a Churchill Crown!!

They are the most common modern crown and probably the ugliest

coin in the world. You must surely know from looking at other websites

that mint examples can be purchased often for less than £1?? I've just

sold about 6 scruffy ones for less than face value (which is 25p).

Are you trying to pull my leg?

His reply:

no to be hounest i have seen it in a book that this coin is valuled at 500

pound mate

So he obviously saw the Satin VIP coin in a Spink

book and completely ignored the normal one! In my experience, people

that do that normally cannot write or spell properly, and this gentleman

has just proved that yet again!

Oh it gets better! I'm going to have to edit out most of his very limited vocabulary. Here's his reply:

oh f* off mate just wanted to no dont be such a f* c* u sarcastic

p* shame i have gt one u p* wot a f*in waste of time and oxegen u r

you stain on society

f* u

c*

To which I replied:

Are you a child or a juvenile? You certainly act like one. If you are, then

I understand your immaturity.

Do you think that you are a better person because you are able to swear

at me and say lots of bad words? In my experience people that resort to

abuse and cannot construct proper sentences in the first place (or spell),

rarely have rare coins. And, today you have proved that very convincingly.

Tell you what: I'll continue buying and selling collectables, publishing

books

and selling accessories....You continue being childish and abusive, loosing

your rag etc, and in 10 years come back to me and we'll see who has got

furthest in life. Deal?

You should watch out who you're abusive to in the future, as vengeful

types might take the liberty of tracking your ip address and end up knocking

on your door! So I hope you are equally as hard as your hard words.

Keep looking for rare coins, one day you might find one if your lucky.

I wish you all the best,

Chris

I get a lot of comical emails from people that are just plain ingorant. This was one I got yesterday:

hi i was given a 1965 coin of winston Churchill and looked

it up on verious sits and books and was woundering if u would be

intrested in this on the other side of the coin there is a picture of

queen elizabeth 2

and i latin the sayin

DEI GRATIA REGINA F.D.

and i was woundering if u would be intrested i have recived a offer for

it for 600 pounds but you cum highly reccemended so please if u wud

like this i wll let u for 600 or 550

To which my reply was:

What are you talking about?? No one that wasn't in a straight jacket

or on serious medication would pay £600 for a Churchill Crown!!

They are the most common modern crown and probably the ugliest

coin in the world. You must surely know from looking at other websites

that mint examples can be purchased often for less than £1?? I've just

sold about 6 scruffy ones for less than face value (which is 25p).

Are you trying to pull my leg?

His reply:

no to be hounest i have seen it in a book that this coin is valuled at 500

pound mate

So he obviously saw the Satin VIP coin in a Spink

book and completely ignored the normal one! In my experience, people

that do that normally cannot write or spell properly, and this gentleman

has just proved that yet again!

I hadn't identified it as a case of mis-spelling, I had assumed he had been pounding the keyboard randomly in frustration at the confusing mass of heiroglyphs in front of him.

And why if someone has offered £600 is he offering to sell it for £550? Tell him to get an up to date copy of Spink, as the price should really be £850. Alternatively, given that characters can be written in any order and without punctuation, offer him a copy of CGCB (sic) for £495. :D

No no no, be nice to him, please. I have six Churchill fuglies that I will sell him for a mere £100 eaches, then he can pawn them off for £600 eaches:) :lol:

Going a bit OT here, on another forum we have had posters coming in and posting images of Russian coins or tokens and requesting valuation etc. You tell them it is a fake, and then you get the reply they have had it for decades and it can't possibly be a fake. Next thing they start flaming. Kind of makes you wonder why we bother with these nimwits.

I had a someone once that had an Edward VII sixpence, 1906 I think. It was worn so I told her it was worth just a couple of pounds max for the silver content. She got really shirty and refused point blank to believe me. It was 100 years old, how can it possibly just be worth a couple of pounds!

I waste such a lot of my time with that kind of thing. It had reduced recently but now it's the school holidays, I wonder if that has an effect? I suspect my current biggest fan is very young, he certainly acts it.

I have to admit, I get to where with my site, I am rather selective of responding to inquiries now. Otherwise it is a waste of time. Probably best to just tell them to look up their local coin dealer, and let them punish him. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, has anybody got some quality photos of the satin churchill crown for comparison with the common type? I'm not suggesting that the idiot in this story has one, but to me the normal crown looks satin like - horrible, but satiny. If so can they post a pic - you never know any one of mine might be a £600 one - ho ho!!!

I've never seen one, and I don't think I've ever heard about anyone having one.

I've never seen one, and I don't think I've ever heard about anyone having one.

Norweb lot 1916 was one. If you scan in the page it looks a bit better than a normal one having slightly better definition and the hint of a prooflike appearance. It's not a cameo effect, but that isn't suprising given it is a satin finish. I'd scan it in but pictures won't upload.

Yes, I have one from Spink some years ago at auction and it does have a better struck and satiny appearance when compared to the regular. Unfortunately, it will be some while before I have photographic technical capacity as there is this coin and several others I have wanted to show.

Yes, I have one from Spink some years ago at auction and it does have a better struck and satiny appearance when compared to the regular. Unfortunately, it will be some while before I have photographic technical capacity as there is this coin and several others I have wanted to show.

Wow I'd like to see it!

I to have read about it but haven't seen pictures of one before.

As for that guy :D what a joke. I know a lot of beginners automatically assume that their coin is the most expensive variety in the book but what an absolute ars*. Did make me laugh though!

I assume the gentleman in question has been blocked, Chris?

Can't we have fun torturing them before we block them? :P

As far as I know he hasn't noticed the forum and therefore hasn't seen us making public fun of him!

The last email I got was yesterday. There was no swearing but he asked if my email was a threat and that he'd get the police involved. I pointed out that there was nothing threatening in my message and that if you compare his outbursts with my calm replies, the police would probably side with me. I said I would ignore his outburst and just put it down to him getting out of bed the wrong side that day. And just as another bit of thinly disguised patronism, I told him about how rewarding coin collecting can be and that he shouldn't let this little episode put him off.

Calling the police because of email. Oh boy, I think you are dealing with an institutional candidate. :rolleyes:

Hmm, these guys I suggest politely ignoring and letting them "ride". There are just too many people with issues looking for folks to act out on. He will disappear and fine other people to irritate..

Hmm, these guys I suggest politely ignoring and letting them "ride". There are just too many people with issues looking for folks to act out on. He will disappear and fine other people to irritate..

Isn't that the remarkable thing about the internet, it has brought all the loonies off of the street corners shouting at people and put them online to shout at people at much greater distances than merely across the street! :lol:

Chris,

Smooth reply to the loonie. Did you ever think about running for office? (politics).

Bob C.

I met my local MP once and told him I wouldn't mind helping out. But he looked like a potato and all he did was drive around in a big Jag most of the day. He expected me to go knocking on strange people's doors in Gillingham (Kent)! Bloody cheek. And all the people that helped out were wierd scary people that you could tell were not very socially skilled. One woman proudly told me she'd been knocking on people's doors for over 40 years. Surely she should at least be in the cabinet by now?

Then they kept writing to me and getting my name wrong, so I just ignored them and concluded that politics wasn't for me. I simply don't have the right background or cardigans to fit in with that lot.

Hey Chris,

Do you think this lady could be the guys sister?

She says "I know from researching that this coin, in most cases ,it sells for about $2,000.00" :D

LINK

Hey Chris,

Do you think this lady could be the guys sister?

She says "I know from researching that this coin, in most cases ,it sells for about $2,000.00" :D

LINK

She really should stick to selling these:

45c2_1.JPG

:P

Resting it on a lemon squeezer can only increase the value, surely?

Where DO these people do their 'research'??! I had one guy insist he had a scarce Chas I (of course!) coin quoting Spink number and all. I sent him a pic of the real thing which was obviously different but he remained convinced he had a £2000 coin. What can one say?

Well, apart from Duh, of course! ... ?

Resting it on a lemon squeezer can only increase the value, surely?

It actually is a potty training seat, but it might be your suggestion on demand. :ph34r:

I know what your picture is! I mean the one in the listing.