British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

And I know what you meant too:) I know what Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin was singing when he was talking about getting the lemon squeezed :o

Resting it on a lemon squeezer can only increase the value, surely?

Yeh the lemon squeezer might give it a couple more scratches thus more character, then it might be worth $3000 but maybe if u wud like this i wll let u for $2750 :lol:

mate

That really annoys me.

I know! You just instantly know the type of person your dealing with if they call you 'mate' in a sentence somewhere. And you can bet that if they're old enough to smoke that they hold their cigarette facing towards them between thumb and index finger.

Guest mwilson603

.....normally cannot write or spell properly, and this gentleman

has just proved that yet again!

Keep looking for rare coins, one day you might find one if your lucky.

Sorry to have arrived late at this one everyone. I think that the gentleman in question may have read something similar to this, http://money.uk.msn.com/news/funny-money/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=155058519&page=2. As there was no mention of a special issue of this type would have naturally assumed that he had inherited a valuable coin from granny.

The reason for the quote is that I found it quite amusing, and ironic, Chris would misspell such a common word straight after mentioning his thoughts on people that "cannot write or spell properly" :rolleyes:

regards

Mark

Being perfectly honest Chris, given his spelling and the fact he actually come down from an offer of 600 to 550 i wouldn't have even replied.

Its a sad fact these days that people don't actually do some research first on coins then ask their questions, i have been guilty of this in my puberty days of collecting, but reading posts here and buying books has helped me greatly, so i'd like to fank all who have helped me with furthering my knowledge and not mocking me in the process :lol:

You have had a modicum of abuse ?

Be fair.

And I know what you meant too:) I know what Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin was singing when he was talking about getting the lemon squeezed :o

"Hey guys, let's put ourselves down as the songwriters of this one - no-one will know it's an old blues standard and we will make a ton of money" ??

You have had a modicum of abuse ?

Be fair.

Only by you 400 lol

I may have a Satin finnish vip 1965 churchill coin, ive had this coin for 18years now and has never lost its beautiful sheen . Im not sure if i can send a picture to you, ive looked closely at churchill coins, this one stands out.

Ive looked at pictures of the vip coin, the coin i have looks very similar to the vip coin. I can send pictures through email if you are intrested.

Thanks. Derek

OK, cooking for son at the moment, but I believe there have been pictures posted on either this forum or the PCGS. Obviously it is not just the sheen appearance but the quality of the strike that will count. Also there is the "ON" (Oscar Neiman - sp?) variant with his initials below the bust on rev.

I agree about the posting of pictures - a bit tedious but that would certainly help. If of aid you may PM me as well.

• Like 1

H

Oh it gets better! I'm going to have to edit out most of his very limited vocabulary. Here's his reply:

oh f* off mate just wanted to no dont be such a f* c* u sarcastic
p* shame i have gt one u p* wot a f*in waste of time and oxegen u r
you stain on society

f* u
c*

To which I replied:

Are you a child or a juvenile? You certainly act like one. If you are, then
I understand your immaturity.

Do you think that you are a better person because you are able to swear
at me and say lots of bad words? In my experience people that resort to
abuse and cannot construct proper sentences in the first place (or spell),
rarely have rare coins. And, today you have proved that very convincingly.

Tell you what: I'll continue buying and selling collectables, publishing
books
and selling accessories....You continue being childish and abusive, loosing
your rag etc, and in 10 years come back to me and we'll see who has got
furthest in life. Deal?

You should watch out who you're abusive to in the future, as vengeful
types might take the liberty of tracking your ip address and end up knocking
on your door! So I hope you are equally as hard as your hard words.

I wish you all the best,

Chris

He must be from the future where inflation has caused a Churchill crown to sell for £ 600. That said he must be a good few 1000s of years from the future. Some people ehhh.

Guest Colin

how can you tell the difference between a satin Churchill coin and regular coins can any one help thanks.

Guest Sean Murphy A

What a laugh mines got a rainbow too lol

On 8/8/2007 at 1:53 PM, Chris Perkins said:

Oh it gets better! I'm going to have to edit out most of his very limited vocabulary. Here's his reply:

oh f* off mate just wanted to no dont be such a f* c* u sarcastic

p* shame i have gt one u p* wot a f*in waste of time and oxegen u r

you stain on society

f* u

c*

To which I replied:

Are you a child or a juvenile? You certainly act like one. If you are, then

I understand your immaturity.

Do you think that you are a better person because you are able to swear

at me and say lots of bad words? In my experience people that resort to

abuse and cannot construct proper sentences in the first place (or spell),

rarely have rare coins. And, today you have proved that very convincingly.

Tell you what: I'll continue buying and selling collectables, publishing

books

and selling accessories....You continue being childish and abusive, loosing

your rag etc, and in 10 years come back to me and we'll see who has got

furthest in life. Deal?

You should watch out who you're abusive to in the future, as vengeful

types might take the liberty of tracking your ip address and end up knocking

on your door! So I hope you are equally as hard as your hard words.

I wish you all the best,

Chris

Well the 10 years has passed. I wonder where he is in life now? If his English is anything to go by, not doing too well, I'd imagine.    

got this Churchill crown thats looks very satiny, milling cuts your fingers to pick it up, wots it worth now days, must be fowsands.

So nobody wants to tell the latest value for the Churchill satin proof. My Spinks is a couple of years old now.

OK, I'll take a stab at 1500-2k quid. And I like this in matte, IMO quite a nicely done depiction of a man not necessarily handsome...

33 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

OK, I'll take a stab at 1500-2k quid. And I like this in matte, IMO quite a nicely done depiction of a man not necessarily handsome...

Now there's an understatement if ever I read one. 'Not necessarily handsome'? Bulldog sucking a lemon would be my description. Though for all his shortcomings a half decent painter.

I think I paid about £1800 around 2-3 years ago to Baldwins. Not a big profit in it yet.

Sorry to resurrect this, but.... I found this one among the many in my latest acquisition, which is quite different to the many regular fuglies in there. Any possible chance of a yay or nay to satin please?

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

Wow, I like that one. Not a satin IMO, but much above average. You may want to try a dip first in pure acetone and then in 50% ammonia with liberal rinse afterward and tamp dry. Hell, I'd buy that one if you want to sell but more in the 40 quid range. 

Found and digested the acetone cleaning thread, acetone is on my list of stuff to buy today, and I'll give it a whirl (with a few of its comrades) and post the results later.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

Yes, good and it really is not rocket science if there are no contaminants in the acetone. I still wouldn't let it soak or tamp it (NOT rub it) for more than 20 or so minutes. In my experience, you'll know if its working within 30-60 seconds. The tamping bit is quite helpful as well. However, mild oxidation will not be affected and this is where potentially the ammonia can come in.

Please do post pictures.

The specimen pictured on the PCGS census site is dubious IMO. If you PM me your email I'll see if I can post you a picture or two of a real satin. About a year ago I got a PCGS slabbed MS65 that was very nice for about 25 USD.