British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
HistoricCoinage

Victorian Coins for Sale and JJ North Books Wanted

Hey,

I'm new around here but have several of Chris' books and know of him on eBay and so thought that I'd pay a visit! :)

Here are a few things that I am parting with on eBay! Feel free to take a look!

1911 Trade Dollar

1887 Double Florin - Great Condition!

1889 Crown - Fantastic Condition!

1887 Florin - Great Condition

Best Regards,

Clive.

You have a lot to learn about grading Clive!

That double florin is Fine, and the 1889 Crown is around about VF. The 1887 florin doesn't look bad, but it's not EF. I havn't looked at the trade dollar.

Perhaps other members will also post about how they see the grades.

It's all about learning what the coins look like when UNC and using that knowledge to base the other grades on. I'm sure you mean well, but don't expect prices for the coins in the grades you give them.

I know but nowadays grading on eBay has become sooo corrupt that there is tough competition. People bid on coins with no photos and believe the seller that it is UNC, my coins are closer to the grades I chose but still they are nice coins. I also believe that buyers should make their own judgment from the photos provided and bid accordingly. I am just giving my opinion.

Nice site by the way! ;)

Edited by HistoricCoinage

Then you really should not give your opinion unless you can stand by it!

Just because others sell coins in a haphazard amateur way, doesn't mean that you should sink to their level and try the same! Buyers will respect an honest seller a lot more than one that overgrades. Grading is not just opinion, it's fact, especially with modern milled coins like those.

You can't just choose a grade out of thin air! To be honest I am very dissapointed with your justifications and if I was a collector I wouldn't buy anything off you.

Murderers murder people, but just because they do it, doesn't mean you have to as well.

Chris,

I understand where you are coming from, Milled Coinage is not my strong point. I am more of a hammered man! :D

I have changed my listings so they are more sensibly graded and hope that you like them! ;)

I am a bit stuck with one of my hammered coins, met with Martin Allen at the Fitzwilliam and Mary Hinton at the British Museum. Can you think of anyone else that could help me with Norman Coinage?

All the best,

Clive.

That's a little better, but NEF for the Crown is still inaccurate. Unless by Near EF you mean VF!

For hammered info try my good friend Richard Varnham via Coins for Sale he's very knowledgable and knows all the right people.

Chris,

Many thanks, I will try MR. Varnham.

Do you yourself collect? If you were a collector would you bid on my coins now? :P

Many thanks, I appreciate it. It is not often that I sell milled coins.

All the best,

Clive.

Welcome aboard Clive.

If unsure I find the best way and most honest way to list my coins is to post detailed pictures of the coin and let the buyer decide. I also mention any scuffs, marks, or damage to a coin.

Just a pointer to others new members, collectors reading not to join the rat race on eBay and list everything as Unc.

However it is good to have another hammered fan (I'm also a fan of milled and errors :) ) on the forum.

Regards,

Hus

Hus,

I have listed the coins with the best possible pictures that my camera can take! I should invest in a new camera. None of my coins were/are listed as Uncirculated, just trying to be as honest as possible.

Grading Milled coinage is a big difference to Hammered coinage! :D I only started collecting Hammered coinage about 7 months ago and have come across several rare specimens and one presumed unknown example as of yet. I have an error Edward I/II Penny, I am surprised that it did not go for more, the joys of eBay I suppose!

Thanks for your warm welcome, will try and share my knowledge and passion of Hammered coinage with teh group.

All the best,

Clive.

hi folks.

chris is there any chance you can give me the reasons as to why you have graded the coins listed as you have as i'm still struggling to work out how to grade coins (not been collecting long)?

i read the fine description in your book stating considerable wear to all raised surfaces. does the double florin have this?

cheers

Micky

To explain the grades in words is hard. Each coin type wears in different places first. Generally though, wear for VF or Fine is usually quite obvious when you've seen a few.

What you need is the Official British Coin Grading Guide...A publication which will be published by my very own Rotographic and will appear next year. It will have photos of all coins types from the last 200 years in all grades! Possibly the most useful book for coin collectors ever!

Mainly on the bust, the heavy wear on the veil and hair. Also the flattened broach and collar. The reverse is better than fine really.

To explain the grades in words is hard. Each coin type wears in different places first. Generally though, wear for VF or Fine is usually quite obvious when you've seen a few.

What you need is the Official British Coin Grading Guide...A publication which will be published by my very own Rotographic and will appear next year. It will have photos of all coins types from the last 200 years in all grades! Possibly the most useful book for coin collectors ever!

Chris,

Put me on the list for your grading book. I really need something like that.

Bob C.

I'll make a big thing of it when it's done, don't you worry.

It's being put together by fellow forum member Red Riley.

Yes! Welcome Clive. Nice to have another hammered nut! There are few of us around! If you think grading of milled is contetious, hammered will drive you mad - especially trying to buy on the dreaded e-bay! :P

Geordie582,

The thing is I mainly buy from eBay <_<

Although I do buy from local metal detectorists and fairs, what is your speciality/interest?

All the best,

Clive.

Generally, the Plantagenets, but currently trying to obtain one of each of the Edward I mints. So I've probably been bidding against you!!! :P

I'm not too keen on Edward I, but I have probably bid against you on one or two :P

I prefer coins from Henry I to Henry III ;)

All the best,

Clive.

I'll make a big thing of it when it's done, don't you worry.

It's being put together by fellow forum member Red Riley.

Fame at last! Well nearly. Actually, I would grade this a little higher than you Chris, although the tone does worry me. Incidentally, there is a curious phenomena I have discovered on jubilee busts in that the VR brooch tends to wear quite early on in most coins, with the exception of the half crown where it persists way down the grading scale (even to 'fair' on one example I saw).

I have examples but can't attach them at present. Would anybody care to help out?

Sure.

Do you need help on anchoring images?

All the best,

Clive.

Here are images that Derek wants added. Will let him do the talking! :P

All the best,

Clive.

63469415_o.jpg

63469489_o.jpg

Here are images that Derek wants added. Will let him do the talking! :P

All the best,

Clive.

OK, not a lot to say other than that the top image is a jubilee head crown in EF-ish condition and the lower, a VF-ish half crown. As a yardstick, wear on the VR brooch clearly has to be used with caution when assessing this design! As far as I have discovered, the half crown is the only denomination in which the level of wear is out of line with the rest of the series.

Sign in to follow this