British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest piggybank

Greetings...

Guest piggybank

Hello, my name's Jen.

A few days ago I decided to dig my late father's coin collection out of the dust to well and truely try and sort it out. There are many British coins, the oldest I've found so far being 1627 (I think) and many European coins also. There ae a handful of other coins from the rest of the world. Unfortunatly there are some that are completely beyond recognition, which will have a place in the new album with an air of mystery.

I have a couple which I cannot identify and when my camera's various cables etc are located I will photograph and post on here for a bit of help with. I know one is dated 1791 and has a swirly print on it, which I have had no avail trying to identify.

Anyway this is a hello from me, happy to enter into the community.

1791 with a swirly print sounds like a Parys Mines North Wales Halfpenny (or Penny). Is it copper with a Druid on the other side?

Hello Jen, wonderful to have some female company in here for a change! Many of the members have turned gay already you know ;-)

Jen,

Welcome to the mad house!!! I am sure if there any coins that you cannot identify, if you can post an image someone on the forum will be able to guide you. Chris may correct me but I think there is still an issue with posting images on the forum, so if you do want any pics posting, e-mail them to me and I will host them for you.

Guest piggybank

Thanks for the warm welcome. You have correctly identified my coin also! Thanks.

I don't think my dad did much after the 70's with the collection as there are coins dated from then in new condition and nothing after. Also he stored them in money bags, keeping mostly metal types together. I'm finding early Victorian coins mixed with 1970's Spanish pesetas. Not too good for the health of the coins me thinks. Also they all seem to have picked up that scum that coins do when they mix. I've found a hard soap/warm water/ soft toothbrush is gentley taking off the scum without changing the tarnish or anything which is good.

I was wondering why a fair few of the coins have holes purposely drilled in them? Not the foreign ones with the holes as a part of the design but downright nasty drill holes right through a lovely 1844 half farthing for example? It seems such a shame.

I was wondering why a fair few of the coins have holes purposely drilled in them? Not the foreign ones with the holes as a part of the design but downright nasty drill holes right through a lovely 1844 half farthing for example? It seems such a shame.

Oo, the tragedy! I'd assume that the hole would be made either for a necklace of some sort, or maybe just for the metal. But I may be completely on the wrong lines with that.

Anyhow, welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay :)

Master Jmd, long time no see. You must surely be Mr Jmd by now? ;)

Master Jmd, long time no see. You must surely be Mr Jmd by now? ;)

Nah, I'll always be Master Jmd.. Mr. Jmd just makes me sound really old :P

You're 17, you can still get away with being a Master for the next couple of years. Happy Birthday for today.