British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Geordie582

Edward I

Edward I

I have had this coin listed as York mint for a long while, but on one of my many browsing sessions, I noticed the 'B' of 'EBO' seemed to be more like an 'X' which puts it as Exeter mint. What do you think?

(That's the trouble with coins with important information missing!) :unsure:

Was Exeter spelt as Exoter then? I believe it is more likely Eboraci, or York myself. ;)

Exeter was spelt EXONIE

Quartered that is CIVI/TAS/EXO/NIE

Hence my doubts. That B looks strange (if it is a B!) :huh:

As an afterthought - I've always put Medieval Coins in this Ancient Forum but it doesn't really sit well. However there seems to be no other home for them!

Edited by Geordie582

Obverse

Reverse

Perhaps if I show the Obverse and Reverse of the same coin so you can compare the 'B' in 'HYB' with the supposed 'B' on the reverse then you'll appreciate my problem! :rolleyes:

Edited by Geordie582

Hope the person that broke it got an owie out of it for making it hard to discern what mint it in fact is.

Seeing the obverse with the floreat B in Hyb, now I can appreciate the question regarding the mint.

The difference is so great I think I'll have to reclassify it as Exeter - that is until further information comes to hand. :P

tn_gallery_226_3_27485.jpg

Just to muddy the waters a bit! After more research I've found that only Class 9b were minted at Exeter and the obverse of my coin would be more likely to be Class2a! Further I got the image above after trawling the net, and the'X' is a simple saltire. So it looks as though my coin IS York (with a sloppy moneyer etching the reverse)

Dontcha hate having to argue with yourself over the ID of a coin? :lol:

Not really! Sometimes I'm right :D

Not really! Sometimes I'm right :D

When you argue with yourself, you are always right, just a factor of which opin takes precedence :rolleyes:

My opinion, of course! :P

Just noticed! The 'posts' clock seems to have stopped!

Edited by Geordie582

At least I get my way, not like when I have discussions with the wife boss, then it is her way or the highway. :ph34r:

At least I get my way, not like when I have discussions with the wife boss, then it is her way or the highway. :ph34r:

She who must be obeyed is never wrong. However, it can have its upside as I was recently instructed to up my bid. :)

Edited by Rob