British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

Ooerr

Zoom in, truly a wonder.

Ooerr

Zoom in, truly a wonder.

Now that's what gives coin collecting a bad name :o

I agree, it is a nice piece, and a wonderful person. However I wonder that the opportune to make a few quid out of her image still drives this as a collectable.

My sarcasm was a bit too subtle! This woman already has one coin in her memory, why she needs another is beyond me. Plus the execution (seemingly like all modern RM issues) is below par.

That's probably because it was done on a computer from a photo.

Bless, that's the Princess with no doubt a little black starving baby, what an amazing stereotype, it makes me want to puke.

Blatant money making exercise, I hope they mint as many as they did Churchill crowns and end up stuck with them. It's embarrassing, that kind of toot. No doubt the masses will buy it because they think it will somehow help charity or whatever and of course everybody loved Diana! I personally thought she was alright, but couldn't understand the fuss at the time about her appearance. In the 80s and 90s Kim Bassinger, Sharon Stone and Samantha Fox were better 'babes'. Granted, they weren't princesses.

So she did a lot of charity work and was no doubt a lovely lady, but for gods sake lets move on and here's an idea....Why don't the RM stick to making coins and only create commemoratives for things that are worth commemorating. RM, please stop diluting real collectable coins with the kind of complete crap you've been churning out by the bucket load non-stop since the Churchill crown.

They won't though, will they.

What amazes me is the 10 years since she curled her toes....My collection isn't complete...my mortgage isn't paid off....I've raised 2 kids.....Blair is just about still about....i'm still married to Mrs Peter....I'm fatter.....Jesus still wants me for a sunbeam.....My blood pressure has increased to pill taking levels....I haven't had the remote chance of getting my paws on any new crumperto(see 5 & 6)

BUT...I still love coins. :D

I like that! I think the new Diana coin should have it as an edge inscription. Obviously petition crown style, tiny and writen in at least 4 lines.

What amazes me is the 10 years since she curled her toes....My collection isn't complete...my mortgage isn't paid off....I've raised 2 kids.....Blair is just about still about....i'm still married to Mrs Peter....I'm fatter.....Jesus still wants me for a sunbeam.....My blood pressure has increased to pill taking levels....I haven't had the remote chance of getting my paws on any new crumperto(see 5 & 6)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously the Royal mint are starting to churn out more and more modern comemerative "collectable" junk by the bucket load lately. In Junes issue of Coin News they even advertised a "striking carousel money box in hand-crafted silver pewter and gold, to a Diamond wedding celebration bell in silver plate and rose gold".

They are starting to loose the art factor and replacing it with the tat factor.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously the Royal mint are starting to churn out more and more modern comemerative "collectable" junk by the bucket load lately. In Junes issue of Coin News they even advertised a "striking carousel money box in hand-crafted silver pewter and gold, to a Diamond wedding celebration bell in silver plate and rose gold".

There must be lots of people out there with lots of cash to burn!!! Shame I am not one of them :(

The people only burn their cash with the RM and other sellers of collectable junk because they actually view the things as an heirloom and sound investment. They actually think that there will be a demand for the over priced rubbish in the future....just like there is today for Churchill Crowns and the 1972 Royal Wedding crown ;) And they think that because of the clever way its marketed. They draw huge attention to the limited numbers and imply that there may not be enough to go round.

You can understand provate companies doing it, it's business. But for a government official body to jump on that band wagon in a big way is shameful. There are thousands of old lady victims around the country that have piles of this kind of junk to give leave their kids. A nest egg, as they see it.

The link did not work for me! Am I to be grateful? :D

Edited by Geordie582

It doesn't seem to work at the moment!

Hopefully they've realised they are producing tat and have blown themselves up, while retaining the proper coin striking facilities for the coins we actually use.

I think they lost it long ago! The Britannia series and a few of the £2s are the notable exceptions.

Hopefully they've realised they are producing tat and have blown themselves up

Actually tat is not the word that comes to mind, especially when you consider the God Save the Queen coin etc, it is more likely a four letter word which proper English grammar frowns upon the usage of.

I'm a big hypocrite though because I publish a book called Check Your Change, which illustrates, full sized and colour, every single coin design from 1968 onwards (without the Britannias actually, i want to add those).

So, in a way, I'm jumping on the band wagon too.

I can't see what the discussion is about, and I'm intrigued. Can anybody post a picture or a description? The link at the start doesn't work for me.

DaveG38

It kerplonked.

You can see it on here

http://www.royalmint.com/TheRoyalMint/Shop...x?theme=Royalty

But don't try to click on the picture - the link doesn't work here either!

Yahoo! Nice to be back, Chris!

Edited by Geordie582

DI65SP_1.jpg

As tacky as it is, it at least has some style and class. I cannot say the same for some of the stuff on eBay lately, some is downright hideous:

3e1d_1_sbl.JPG

From the Cook Islands.

So, in a way, I'm jumping on the band wagon too.

You're catering to the market.

Which I suppose is also what the RM is doing. And that's even more scary! People actually want that stuff.