British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious if any Edward VIII sets have ever come up for sale? Also, in your opinion, how much would one sell for if it came onto the open market today? Finally, do any of you know if any sets exist and if so where are they?

We've discussed this in another topic; sets were produced but they weren't sold. Consult p458 of Spink's. A very small number of proof sets were produced, containing coins from the gold five pound down to the farthing. One set has come on the market in recent years. He would have been crowned in May 1937, and a series of coins was prepared for issue at that time dated 1937. In fact, over 200 dies for coins and medals had to be scrapped when he abdicated.

Do you know how much that set made?

Nope

It must of made at least over £100,000 in my opinion. If a set came up for sale in today's market then I would imagine that it would sell for at least £250,000.

It must of made at least over £100,000 in my opinion. If a set came up for sale in today's market then I would imagine that it would sell for at least £250,000.

I shudder to think how much they would make in a Spinks auction...

Gotta go

Spink's auctions are no different to any others.

It all depends how well they would publicise the set, and the number of people who will be drueling at the auction.

Edward VIII (Jan-Dec 1936), Matt Proof Brass Threepence, 1937, struck on a twelve-sided flan, bare head facing left, tiny HP below, edwardvs viii d g br omn rex f d ind imp,rev. thrift plant, date below, denomination above, (Peck 2366; S.4064A) light thumbprint on obverse, otherwise as struck with a dark tone, we believe the matt proof of this reverse is unique thus

£35,000.00

post-32-1081973974_thumb.jpg

i like the other reverse they had with the 19 and the 37 separated.

There are qiute a few of those floating around because many vending machine manufacturers didn't want to give them back! Dolphin Coins sold one last year for about £35,000 in UNC.

Penny Master a.k.a Jon.

If they go for £35,000 each I'd like to hear your definition of 'quite a few'!

12-15 examples exist however, that particular one is believed to be the best one in existance.

We've discussed this in another topic; sets were produced but they weren't sold. Consult p458 of Spink's. A very small number of proof sets were produced, containing coins from the gold five pound down to the farthing. One set has come on the market in recent years. He would have been crowned in May 1937, and a series of coins was prepared for issue at that time dated 1937. In fact, over 200 dies for coins and medals had to be scrapped when he abdicated.

Did you get that from Tony Clayton's website Oli?!

Jon.

I got the bit about the dies and the crowning bit from a site which I can't remember

I heard that Richard Lobel (the Coincraft guy) bought a whole set some time back. I have never heard that they came onto the market but I did ask him once how much he wanted for the shilling and he just quoted the Coincraft Catalogue price. You could always phone and ask him!

Yes I heard that to, he was at one point in the Guinnes book of records for being the only person to own a partial set of Edward VIII coins.

Yes I heard that to, he was at one point in the Guinnes book of records for being the only person to own a partial set of Edward VIII coins.

Really?! :o

I didn't think the G.B.O.R would go in for that kind of thing.

Me neither!

I got my information from the Coincraft website.

I got my information from the Coincraft website.

You haven't ever bought from Coincraft, have you?

Goodness no.

I saw Richard Lobel at a coin fair recently, didn't realise he was American.

He knows his stuff and he's a good business man. I'm sure collectors buy from him, or he wouldn't be where he is. But surely they must mostly be new collectors, because most of the prices are ridiculous, and the items are not very special. (read: crap)

I expect he sells the good stuff off the website and the stuff on the website sells slowly to new collectors.

Goodness no.

Phew!!! That's a relief! :)

Edited by william