British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hussulo

Unknown Die?

Anyone help idetify this? it could be for a medal?

Its 41.66mm dia. 11.9mm wide and heavy (it overloads my digital scales). It has the pattern on the front and a screw hole on the centre of the reverse.

It is quite thick and also along the (ribon below the unicorn and bird) it has "ENERO 1° DE 1884" written. I have discovered "enero" to be a month, January 1884.

b249_12.jpg

b513_12.jpg

b3d2_12.jpg

Hussulo,

All the images in the Kraus catalogues bear the "REPUBLICA DE CHILE", so whether it was used for some form of bullion coin, or as you say some form of medal may be a possibility.

Sorry no more information at present, let me know if you find anything out about it.

Hussulo,

All the images in the Kraus catalogues bear the "REPUBLICA DE CHILE", so whether it was used for some form of bullion coin, or as you say some form of medal may be a possibility.

Sorry no more information at present, let me know if you find anything out about it.

Hussulo,

It would appear that the peruvian port of PISAGUA was occupied by Chilean troops during the war of the pacific that ended in 1883/4, and resulted in PISAGUA becoming part of Chile. So it may be a die for a medal given following the war or celebrating the occupation?

Thanks Colin,

You have sourced a lot more information then I could find.

Regards,

Hus

This is a long shot but im gonna send a link too.

I think this is some sort of stamp for teh Banco de Chile the screw hole at the back for a handle?

I found this pic

http://www.mayoph.com/images2/00c816.jpg

If you look at the actual green stamp it shows the same!! so could this be a post mark? the date is irrelevant as the Banco de Chile wasn't founded til 1893

(could it be to do with the fact that the war ended on the the 20th October 1883 and the 1st January 1884 may be celebrated?)

Just a thought

(I like researching things)

This is a long shot but im gonna send a link too.

I think this is some sort of stamp for teh Banco de Chile the screw hole at the back for a handle?

I found this pic

http://www.mayoph.com/images2/00c816.jpg

If you look at the actual green stamp it shows the same!! so could this be a post mark? the date is irrelevant as the Banco de Chile wasn't founded til 1893

(could it be to do with the fact that the war ended on the the 20th October 1883 and the 1st January 1884 may be celebrated?)

Just a thought

(I like researching things)

Looking at it closer its not the same but close, also if it was a "rubber" stamp it would have raised lettering etc.

As i said it was a long shot

Just mirrored it in Photoshop. See if this helps!

untitled1vq3.jpg

Have you considered that it might be a fiscal document seal?

Thanks guys.

The letters and aren't raised but incuse. I had a look a my father-in-law's Krause and there are similar reverses minus the Pisagua. It is also much the same size as a Chile 8 reales of the same date.

I am not dismising fiscal document seal, or post mark theories.

If anyone comes across any more information if they could post it I would be truely grateful.

Rgears,

Hus

With being incused, it looks more than likely to be for embossing documents, in a solicitors office, perchance? :rolleyes: