British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

IMPORTANT, about downtime.

There will be a period of downtime overnight tonight, while my hosts swap me to another server. Once up and running again, none of the posts, user id's etc will be affected. It just won't work for a little while!

The purpose of the change is to enable me to turn on better search engine friendly paths for the new look predecimal.com so that it doesn't suffer in the rankings.

No problemo Chris. By the way how do you "turn on better search engine friendly paths "? Just a thought for when I get my website up and running.

It will only affect you if you use php to generate the URLs. For a static html site, you're already very friendly to search engines!

Basically I'll be turning the URLS from something like this:

http://www.predecimal.com/index.php?britis...sale.4566332134

to

http://www.predecimal.com/british-coins-sale.htm

(I made those up, so don't try them it won't work).

Technically it's a change from generating them as cName to ReWrite mode. Search engines don't like the '?' charachter if it can be avoided. Anyway, to enable this to be switched on, I had to move to an apache server because it didn't work on a Zeus server.

I just want to sell some stuff, all this technical lark is such a drag!

Ok to be honest most of that went straight over my head Chris, :) I think it will be a static html site, but I do like your new look site.

It's all done now, and the forum has survived intact! But the shop area hasn't...At the moment you get a nasty error when you want to buy something.

I know what's causing it, but I'm not clever enough to fix it and as everyone in Europe is asleep, I'll ask an American friend to put it right while I sleep. I just hope it doesn't scare too many people off and that they try again tomorrow.

Everything is back to normal now! I found someone that was able to help at an unearthly hour...And I'm now £45 lighter, but it was worth it and probably would have taken me days to do by myself.

Chris,

It is 8:15 in the evening here in the USA EDT (1:15 am your time, I think), and your sales section works ok for pennies. I just gave it a try. You must have it fixed! It must be nice to be ablke to fix things while you sleep! <gggg>.

Bob C.

I was up until 2.30 last night liasing with someone I found in Gravesend. We were able to fix it together (him doing the complicated bits).

So, another little job. jobbed as they say.

There are some imges in image galley that is gone mostly the latest addition.

Oh, yes, so there are.

They are no longer in the location they once were. I've asked my hosts if they have a backup of them from a previous date. If not, I may have to ask you nicely to upload them again.

The images are back now. You probably noticed.

Thanks I will post my other fine grade coins in their with same picture shown in other variety books