British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Geoff T

1825 farthing - R over R

I've just acquired an 1825 farthing, Obverse 1, with the R of Rex on the reverse over an R. No pic yet (I ony got it this afternoon) but can anyone shed any light on this? I've not seen any reference to it elsewhere.

Thanks - Geoff

Hi,

Have a look at Colin G.'s site, aboutfathings.co.uk - he shows an example.

He also mentions the different size of the trident prongs.

Is yours from the same dies?

Teg

I've just acquired an 1825 farthing, Obverse 1, with the R of Rex on the reverse over an R. No pic yet (I ony got it this afternoon) but can anyone shed any light on this? I've not seen any reference to it elsewhere.

Thanks - Geoff

This series is littered with double cut lettering, missing bars and serifs etc. Just another overcut letter I think. The rare ones seem to be those with cleanly cut and intact legend. Having said that, I just checked my 2 examples and one is 5/5 in the date and the other is T/A in BRITANNIA. That's one that Colin doesn't have on his site.

Edited by Rob

Thanks - Geoff

This series is littered with double cut lettering, missing bars and serifs etc. Just another overcut letter I think. The rare ones seem to be those with cleanly cut and intact legend. Having said that, I just checked my 2 examples and one is 5/5 in the date and the other is T/A in BRITANNIA. That's one that Colin doesn't have on his site.

The R over R is one of the more difficult examples to obtain, I have only seen one example to date, and that is the one in my collection :) . As you say there are a multitude of repunched numerals/letters in this series, but I have tried to restrict it to the major "obvious" differences at present.

I am due to update the George IV section shortly with a few more varieties, and I have now got 3 different obvious 5 over 5 examples, 1 lower, 1 higher and one to the left.

I am unaware of the T/A variety, have you got an image (1200dpi would be nice, and your approval to use your images would be even nicer!!) ;)

Hi,

Regarding 1825 T over A.

I have not been able to confirm this type. I have a coin with the T over something, and its angle makes you think of an A. As my coin only shows this to the right of the T, it could also be T over an angled T. The bottom right serif does not however appear angled.

post-542-1177314611_thumb.jpg

Rob is your coin similar?

Thanks Colin - your site is extremely helpful (and in this case more than that which bears the name of your late namesake).

It appears that your Obverse B is my - and CCGB's - Obverse 1 (raised ribs), but mine appears to have the larger prongs you mention. I'll try to get you a photo, but my current camera to cope with that small a detail.

Geoff

Thanks - Geoff

The R over R is one of the more difficult examples to obtain, I have only seen one example to date, and that is the one in my collection :) . As you say there are a multitude of repunched numerals/letters in this series, but I have tried to restrict it to the major "obvious" differences at present.

I am due to update the George IV section shortly with a few more varieties, and I have now got 3 different obvious 5 over 5 examples, 1 lower, 1 higher and one to the left.

I am unaware of the T/A variety, have you got an image (1200dpi would be nice, and your approval to use your images would be even nicer!!) ;)

Hi,

Regarding 1825 T over A.

I have not been able to confirm this type. I have a coin with the T over something, and its angle makes you think of an A. As my coin only shows this to the right of the T, it could also be T over an angled T. The bottom right serif does not however appear angled.

post-542-1177314611_thumb.jpg

Rob is your coin similar?

It does look similar, but mine also has a much fainter, but definitely present, left foot of the A together with a bit of the sloping left hand vertical which is positioned just to the right of the bottom of the I and this serif just covers the left extremity of the A. The size and spacing is correct for an A too.

Edited by Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the info.

This is my coin - the same dies as yours?

1414d%20dhsm.JPG

Teg

Teg,

I have ploughed through my images of 1825 farthings, and many seem to have a larger gap between the I and the T, in fact I only 1 example of the smaller gap between the I and T and that is a very poor example, so the overdate on that coin cannot be seen.

I have overlaid one of these coins onto yours and it looks to be a pretty good match!!

Image 1

The A and I and the leaves match perfectly, and the T is now positioned over your underlying numeral, the rotation even aligns. :D

All we need now is Rob's example to see whether there is another variety!!

I think the overdate is visible enough to constitute its own variety on the site, so I will get it added.

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the info.

This is my coin - the same dies as yours?

1414d%20dhsm.JPG

Teg

It's a different obverse die, but the reverse is a pretty good match. The relative positions of the FI in FID are correct as is the date alignment. The short tooth by the F of DEF is OK and the trident prongs are in reasonable agreement. The D in FID is complete whereas yours isn't and the EF of DEF is double cut with the underlying letter closer to the border which I can't make out in your image either. The image is on my website.

hi, i don't know were to put this,1822 or 1825,t in Britannia,what do you thing.

post-7224-0-13714600-1398271913_thumb.jp

post-7224-0-28869000-1398271914_thumb.jp