British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Raoul

How a metal detector can help your hobby

Hi guys i know you all like to buy your coins which most of the time are in fine condition, but as i'm showing you in this picture these just came out of the ground a few months ago and only washed in soapy water.

Took me three hrs and a one hrs drive to find these.

Just think of the coins that you can find in your country, which i have seen in other forums, it leaves me speachless to all the treasures you guys have there.

Why buy them when you can find them yourselves?

Regards Raoul

post-19-1081815578_thumb.jpg

:) They are nice, you've tempted me to go metal detecting, but I can't think of anywhere to look for them. I live by the seaside, and have found one George VI brass threepence there, but it was covered in verdigris. I am assumuing that if I were to look for more coins there, they would look just the same - lots of verdigris. What sorts of places do you detect for coins then Raoul? If I can find a good place near my house then I might as well try...

We have the remains of a Roman fort in our village but that's been excavated to death in recent years so I guess there wouldn't be anything left there

the best thing i have ever found was a metal hole that a washing line goes into...i did once find a crumbly thing, but that just fell apart when i tried to pick it up :( ...and i guess i am also in a position where there is not much access to 'hidden' metal detecting :(

I have a couple of links to some clubs in your country unfortunatly i dont know how close they are to you,but if you write in they will tell you of places near your town where you can go, like your club they are a very friendly and helpful clubs,in most cases they will invite you to join them when they go out.

http://212.67.202.131/~toddy/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/phpBB2/

Have a browse through the different forums and ask questions i'm sure that you will get the answers you want. Raoul

raoul is right these guy are great will help ya all ya need iam all so a a tector user

the thrill you get from digging up an old coin that no one has touched for 100s some times 1000s of years is fantastic a real buzz

ps love the forum great way for us guys to get info and share what we know

Are you from Oz too? Would you post some pics of your finds, like Raoul, please :) ?

iam in scotland m8 will try to sort out some pics iam pretty new only been tecting about 6 months but got a few bits and bobs

couple of bits and bobs the big one aint a coin but i love it silver 1899 horse medal

post-19-1081877588_thumb.jpg

Thats quite a nice selection of finds. Where did you find them?

Penny Master.

I bet your proud of that medal (I would be). Detecting may be worth trying...

G'day Taity,i see you read my article on the forum,glad you joined you will find these guys here very friendly and helpful.

I know we can can help each other on matters relating to our hobbies.

yeh top idea i love coins so suppose its the right place to b as well cheers for the heads up m8y

what kind of detectores do you have? I have one but it deosn't work too good. I was looking for stuff in my back yard and couldn't find anything, so I decided to just dig aound and I hit a big metal bath tub about 4 feet down, so I dug aound it and pulled it out and inder the tum was a lot of newspapers from right after the 1906 earth quake here in san francisco. there where also a few old pots and wiskey bottels made from teracota, come old silver and copper wear, some old iron and tin toy soldiers, cap guns, bullets, a toy cannon and a few old coins. all I can find with my metal detecore is like tin foil that is berried a few inches down or rusty nails. :angry:

G'day Samclab, i use the Whites MXT price on that in Aus dollars is $2,600.00

but if you look around for a second hand one it does not have to be the mxt, you can find a good one for around $700.00.

Just stick to the well known makes such as Whites,Minelab,Garret and fisher you can't go wrong.

You must have a detector dealer in your town or nearby,give him a call and explain it to him what you want and he will be able to put you on the right track.

The secret to finding coins is to search out the places where people gather in numbers,then you will find coins easily.

Raoul

thanks for the advice. LOL my metal detector is a radio shack! I'm gonna have to start saving up for one than. Ill look around the pawn shops downtown for a Whites, since, I think at least, thats radioshack is the only place that sels metal detectors around me.lol