British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

1819 George III sixpence T of BRIT over B

post-928-1176895137_thumb.jpgpost-928-1176895113_thumb.jpg

Here's a new overstrike that I've not come across before:

The coin is a George III sixpence of 1819, but with the first T of BRIT clearly struck over a B.

The coin is only in fair condition, but the overstrike is very visible. Has anyone come across this before, or maybe check your sixpences to see if another specimen is out there! Does it merit being recorded as a hitherto unknown variety?

The coin is a George III sixpence of 1819, but with the first T of BRIT clearly struck over a B.

The coin is only in fair condition, but the overstrike is very visible. Has anyone come across this before, or maybe check your sixpences to see if another specimen is out there! Does it merit being recorded as a hitherto unknown variety?

I've seen another. Alex Anderson had one slabbed by CGS in UNC at the Harrogate Coin Fair recently, but I don't know what grade number it was given. That was obvious too from a distance.

Edited by Rob

I've seen another. Alex Anderson had one slabbed by CGS in UNC at the Harrogate Coin Fair recently, but I don't know what grade number it was given. That was obvious too from a distance.

I've tracked this one down - It is currently for sale by Certified Coins Investments Ltd (www.cci-uk.biz), slabbed by CGS as Unc 80, on sale for £625. Their website doesn't currently have an image of it available, unfortunately. So how many do exist, and what might my one be worth in its rather sorry condition, albeit as only currently the second recorded?

I've tracked this one down - It is currently for sale by Certified Coins Investments Ltd (www.cci-uk.biz), slabbed by CGS as Unc 80, on sale for £625. Their website doesn't currently have an image of it available, unfortunately. So how many do exist, and what might my one be worth in its rather sorry condition, albeit as only currently the second recorded?

The image is now available on their website. Obviously much better than mine, but are these the only two known so far?post-928-1203758271_thumb.jpg

Nice find Martin.

Is it just me or does the date on the slabbed coin look doubled?

Nice find Martin.

Is it just me or does the date on the slabbed coin look doubled?

Indeed it is, most pronounced on the 9 which is over another 9. The same is true of my specimen. Also there is a die crack running up through the 9 to the head on both specimens. Perhaps the combination of these flaws means that the die was discarded before many specimens were struck?

Was just taking a closer look at my two 1819 six pence coins... and guess what: I found a 3rd one :D

post-6657-041479300 1304716110_thumb.jpg

But mine is however different!

My coin has a low 2nd 1 in 1819 - so at least two dies must have been made from the same master perhaps more?

post-6657-016151300 1304716469_thumb.jpg

Well done. Living proof that if you want to obtain a rarity, best is to publicise an example of something unrecorded in any literature and suddenly the whole world has one too. 2 dies as a minimum means there will be more out there somewhere.

I have an example which seems to be the same dies as the 1st one mentioned. Missing/weak colon dots etc.

post-5660-094580800 1304756056_thumb.jpg

Was just taking a closer look at my two 1819 six pence coins... and guess what: I found a 3rd one :D

post-6657-041479300 1304716110_thumb.jpg

But mine is however different!

My coin has a low 2nd 1 in 1819 - so at least two dies must have been made from the same master perhaps more?

post-6657-016151300 1304716469_thumb.jpg

A date variation doesn't usually count as a die variety on its own, as the last one or two digits were usually punched into the matrix each year quite separately (though some people collect even these). What makes yours interesting is that the '8' looks different too - much narrower on the second example. Given that the matrix would probably have had the '18' already engraved, that could well signify as a die variety.

Looks like the CGS slabbed one hasn't sold off the site and has been entered into this Sunday's Lockdales sale (lot 203) . If anyone wants a nice one, it would be worth bidding on to see what price they are actually willing to let it go for. The estimate of £80-100 is clearly fishing. If anyone collects sixpences it has to be worth a punt up to the £300 level which is £350ish with premium as there is unlikely to be more than a handful out there.

Edited by Rob