British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Sluggs

Coin enquiry

Guest Sluggs

Hi!

My Grandad died recently and my Mother inherited a coin. We have no idea about coins, so since I'm on the Internet and all, I'm trying to find out if it's worth anything for her.

She tells me that she did show it someone, (who offered her £25.00 for it), but refused the offer. We have no idea what the coin might be worth, so I've come here for some help.

Here's the coin...

coin1.jpg

coin2.jpg

I am no old coin collector, and neither is my Mother. All she wants to find out is is the value. It's obviously worth something since she was offered £25.00 for it.

Was that a good deal or we she going to be ripped off?

Thanks in advance. :D

Edited by Sluggs

She should have accepted the money. It's a reasonable price for a coin that doesn't quite make fine and judging by the marks on the rim has previously been mounted. The price in the current Spink for an 1845 is £50 in fine for both varieties of edge, but the mounting marks will reduce the value. She certainly wasn't being ripped off.

Guest Sluggs

Oh right! :blink: Thanks very much for your help.

Sorry for the noob question, but I know nothing about these things. I don't even know what the coin is! :ph34r:

I'll let her know tomorrow.

Sorry for the noob question, but I know nothing about these things. I don't even know what the coin is! :ph34r:

It's a crown (5 shillings).

Edited by Rob

Yes, £25 was a fair offer, certainly more than I'd pay for it.

The public should trust numismatists more, we're generally a very honest bunch.

The public should trust numismatists more, we're generally a very honest bunch.

When you read stories about dealers in America ripping people off it sometimes makes me wonder.

Well GB expert in this forum are here to answer inquiry regarding GB coins and its free information.