British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamesred

Inverted V's 1853 farthing

post-449-1175972683_thumb.jpgHave i found this??

I was looking at this as I was going to get rid of it, (a double) but it has definite differences to the other 2 i have.

1. The A's in Brittania do look to me like V's invereted.

2. Harder to see on these pics - The 2nd A in Gratia had a thicker and higher raised part on the thick leg of it.

post-449-1175972667_thumb.jpg

Jamesred,

I have two 1853 farthings (out of about 6 that I own), one has raised ww, and one has incuse ww. They both have the inverted "A's". The first coin also has a large die crack (break) through the first R in Brittanair.

Bob C.

Jamesred,

I have two 1853 farthings (out of about 6 that I own), one has raised ww, and one has incuse ww. They both have the inverted "A's". The first coin also has a large die crack (break) through the first R in Brittanair.

Bob C.

James,

I am always hesitant about the unbarred A varieties. I know there are several that exist, but on many farthings, the horizontal bar is just much fainter than the two slopes of the A. Therefore on coins where I can not see clearly see the original surface of the coin I will not attribute them as unbarred A varieties.

It is difficult to be certain on this coin because of the surface dirt which appears to be apparent within the letter A's on Britanniar. You may be able to confirm this with closer inspection.

The A also does appear doubled, but unless the doubling stands out to the naked eye, I tend not to class them as a variety, due to the number of coins this is present on.

James,

I am always hesitant about the unbarred A varieties. I know there are several that exist, but on many farthings, the horizontal bar is just much fainter than the two slopes of the A. Therefore on coins where I can not see clearly see the original surface of the coin I will not attribute them as unbarred A varieties.

It is difficult to be certain on this coin because of the surface dirt which appears to be apparent within the letter A's on Britanniar. You may be able to confirm this with closer inspection.

The A also does appear doubled, but unless the doubling stands out to the naked eye, I tend not to class them as a variety, due to the number of coins this is present on.

I have looked at x40 magnification and there is definately no bars in there, the pic is pretty fuzzy so doesnt really help..... as with the A it is noticable to the naked eye.

Cheers

post-449-1176659094_thumb.jpgpost-449-1176659128_thumb.jpg

YOU ARE ALL GOING TO GET SICK OF ME TRYING TO CATOGORISE MY FARTHINGS!!

Attached are the Obverse and the Reverse of the above mentioned 1853 farthing. I was trying to get the types, so now i have hit a problem.

The reverse - I have a cross between a 4 and 5 (no serifs on b of brittaniar, clover head detached) with the added point of DEF ' (no colon) mind you under x60 magnification I can see the lower colon - just! I think the die crack is there as well above the R of brittaniar. AND the lower serif on the F in DEF is missing!!

The Obverse - Obverse F Wider date and the doubled A that i spoke of.

So the question is what do i call this one????

post-449-1176659094_thumb.jpgpost-449-1176659128_thumb.jpg

YOU ARE ALL GOING TO GET SICK OF ME TRYING TO CATOGORISE MY FARTHINGS!!

Attached are the Obverse and the Reverse of the above mentioned 1853 farthing. I was trying to get the types, so now i have hit a problem.

The reverse - I have a cross between a 4 and 5 (no serifs on b of brittaniar, clover head detached) with the added point of DEF ' (no colon) mind you under x60 magnification I can see the lower colon - just! I think the die crack is there as well above the R of brittaniar. AND the lower serif on the F in DEF is missing!!

The Obverse - Obverse F Wider date and the doubled A that i spoke of.

So the question is what do i call this one????

Just noticed the I on DEI is a bit weird, looking at x60 mag its just tiny lille serif - a weak die strike??

James,

The Reverse 5 was added because I had seen an 1853 farthing which clearly had the B without serifs, it may be that this coin did in fact have the detached clover also. Again, if you want to provide me a scan ;) (ideally of both obverse & reverse), I can get it put onto the site, and updated as no serifs and detached clover.

I have no doubt there are plenty of combinations left to find, so the presence of a 5F is very possible.