British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hussulo

2007 Sovereign recut reverse dies

The new 2007 Sovereign recut reverse dies as shown on Lawrence Chard's website ===> http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/2007sovere...difference.html

Personally, I think they have messed it up, and Pistrucci would not have been happy.

Look at St George's face. A lot of detail is lost. Are those tumors growing on the horses legs?

What do you think? good or bad?

Thanks for the info.

So that is what its look like proof,uncirculated and bullion.

Well detailed on the inside dont know about the edge of the image on reverse.

The 2 on three coins are fat,slender and tall.

The zero is narrow and wide.

Dont know about the mint mark if it is well defined,but their distance is different.

Its all up to all sovereign expert.

That's horrible (especially in proof form), it looks like they've got a team of Chinese forgers to make the dies in order to save money. Pistrucci really must be turning in his grave. The stylised 2005 was bad enough - but interesting in a 1935 Crown sort of way - the 2007 rendering really is awful.

Cross-posted from another site, it seems the Mint is recutting the reverse for the 2007 sovereigns.

2006proofsovereignrev400.jpg

2007sovereignproofrev400.jpg

I think they messed up on this. Boatloads of detail especially in George's and the horse's muscles has been lost and the relief is so low as to be almost flat.

Is proof found in circulation?

If the proof is worn and found in circulation it is still proof?

Is proof found in circulation?

If the proof is worn and found in circulation it is still proof?

No, proofs aren't generally found in circulation. Even if it was worn, the coin would still be a proof if it could be identified as such. It would be rare to find a proof in circulation, rarer too a proof sovereign!

Thanks EMP.

So proof coins that are worn are still proof.

I think they messed up on this. Boatloads of detail especially in George's and the horse's muscles has been lost and the relief is so low as to be almost flat.

Is this the official 2007 sovereign strike?

This is not my area of collecting but I have to say it looks like a step backwards in design, to me it looks more `cartoon`, also why is George poking his tonge out to the dragon? :P

I saw that describing word in clayton site about grading 1905 penny.

Gold I think is meleable metal it retained its quality even in the finest detail lot of things or work others can do on gold a good craftsman,

I dont know about the comments and the criticism on the coin but if it will goes down to history who is the individual responsible,I dont know.

Is this the official 2007 sovereign strike?

This is not my area of collecting but I have to say it looks like a step backwards in design, to me it looks more `cartoon`, also why is George poking his tonge out to the dragon? :P

Yep, that's the proof version (you don't want to see the circ strike!).

Show all their might be a proof reverse in other issue :)

The new face is lost. But the horse has a nice tail. :)

Whoa I didn't see this topic so I started another! I'll attempt to merge them but that will probably end in disaster.

Edit: Success!

Well done....Smooth.

I'll say they messed up, this 2007 thing looks like one of those clownish Coincraft Edward VIII repros. At least I really like the 2007 Britannia, now that is a coin I have to have with the Lion on it.

I think this coin will be different from the rest of the issue for the detail on the legs didnt saw anything on the web.

After this their are ways they can go retained the design or change it next year.

If they do change dont know if it is popular or not or art for art is for the beholder and anybody can collect what they want but their is a base or common denominator in determining the design or art dont know what it is.

In the past RM have a VIP set of sovereign dont know if it is still present until today.