British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

best way to start collecting...

Best way to start your collection

To be a good coin collector (numismatist):

• You need to have some coins (old and/or new depending on how you want to collect)
  • A nice coin reference book (for prices, coin details ect...)
  • A way of keeping your coins safe (to keep them in a good condition)
  • A place to keep your coins (you dont just want them laying about the house and cluttering the place up)
  • Pride (do not just throw your coins in a bag and let them gather dust...)

[*]You need to have some coins:

To be a coin collector, you will obviously need some coins. If you so not own any old coins (post 1967) then dont worry; you can start to collect by putting aside some modern coins, and choosing the best ones to keep...remember: if you put all your money into a collection then you will go bankrupt, so do not be foolish, and keep some spending money...if you want to purchase any pre-decimal coins then you can by them for quite good prices here.

[*]A nice coin reference book:

You do not nessessarily need a coin book, but it helps to know where you stand. Most coin books will give you a price guide, and i have found that the Collectors Coins Great Britain 2004 coin book will give you professional information about coins. Other coin books can be found here.

[*]A way of keeping your coins safe:

Albums, cabinets, coin capsules, trays and even plastic wallets are ideal for storing coins. If you dont keep your coins safe, then they will eventually get worn, scrached and dis-coloured and leave you crying :( ...accessories can be purchased here.

[*]Pride:

If you want to be a good collector then you have to have pride in your collection. If you do not take pride then you will have less chance then someone who does take pride in their coins, of being a collector.

Do not rush, it does take time to get a good collection...and have fun :)

Erm, well thanks for all the advert links, that's what I like to see!

When you're a bit older, you can write articles for the website, how about that.

I won't bother correcting the spelling and gramatical errors ;) , you're young, very enthusiastic and I wish you lots of luck.

Very interesting :D but I think points 3, 4 and 5 are basically the same.

Erm, well thanks for all the advert links, that's what I like to see!

:)

When you're a bit older, you can write articles for the website, how about that.

sounds like fun :)

I won't bother correcting the spelling and gramatical errors  , you're young, very enthusiastic and I wish you lots of luck.

i try... :)

you realise you've only been here a few days and you've already got over 100 posts! :o

you realise you've only been here a few days and you've already got over 100 posts! :o

:) i will slow down if you want me too...i just want to help.. :)

glad you're enthusiastic, no need to slow down on my behalf... :D