British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest UkGeezer

I know another word begining with E

Guest UkGeezer

Hi having just spent a little time reading all the negative things about Ebay i thought i should share a little information with you about a free Auction Site for Coins, and i mean completely free!!! This site is run by coin collectors who know how to grade coins and any complaints can render the user from not being allowed to sell items again.

http://www.auctionwebb.com/cgi-bin/ewauction.pl

take a look - what have you to loose?

ANDI UkGeezer

Its a good idea but look how little they have for sale. Little sites like that simply don't have the customer volume needed to generate large stocks for sale and, therefore, there is less to buy.

All looks American to me, and I wonder what position UKGeezer has in the company? UK marketing department perhaps!

here's the english bit (here)

Hmmmm, has a way to go yet.

I finally managed to get into wangled.com recently. They don't have a lot of coins as yet, but then it's early days. My experience of auction sites is that they have their good and bad points. I use them less these days, but still browse them because every so often a genuine bargain comes up.

Is wangled any good Geoff?

Guest UkGeezer

You have all heard the saying " from small acorns grow mighty oaks" and as someone also mentioned that other new auction site, even ebay when it first started had little to offer... look at it now!

I am not the Uk marketing officer for this site, i'm just a humble coin collector passing information onto other like minded people.

Well you came back and followed it up, so that proves you were not merely advertising.

What that auction site needs to do, is somehow persuade lots of dealers to auction things on it continuously and at the same time spend lots of money on promotion to get the audience there. When ebay was just starting out, there was no ebay to compete with it. Now ebay already exists with it's massive audience and amount of lots it's practically impossible for any newcomers. Auction sites that start themselves now, need a lot of money or to be tied to an existing brand.

If I were to start up an aution site I'd find a few thousand things to auction first and spend as much money as I could on promotion.

Ebay also floated itself on the market - maybe this site should do the same ;)

Speaking of eBay, believe it or not, I was one of the first people to list coins for sale on eBay when they expanded categories to include coins, back in '96. It started out as an exchange medium for PEZ dispensers, and it was FREE!!!! Those were the days.

Really? From small acorns grow mighty oaks eh?

Guest UkGeezer
Well you came back and followed it up, so that proves you were not merely advertising.

And why should i not return to follow this post on? As i said in my last post i was just passing information on.....

I will admit to being a member of Error World which is a coin group on MSN, also manager of another EW group for World Coin Collectors, a position which has just been given to me because i like to promote the hobby which i enjoy. These groups are similar to this forum in the fact that they are for like minded collectors, I'm not a member of any virtual coin club so these clubs / groups are a great idea.... a place where you can learn from others who may have more knowledge than you do yourself. :rolleyes:

http://groups.msn.com/errorworld a place to meet like minded collectors.

Guest Laz

Hi folks, I just wanted you all to know that this auction forum is 100% free. No hidden catches, no fees, no gimmicks, except of course that it's free. B) I am the founder of EW Groups and we are collector's out to help fellow collector's. We began in August of 2000 and now cover many aspects of numismatics.The auction forum is run by the original founder of Coin Master's, Matt Hayes. We are not out for your money,as we realize you all have better things to spend your hard earned money on,like more coins! :D Many of the leading numismatists of our time are EW regulars. New collectors are all personally welcomed to the group. :) I see to that myself. We currently run 5 groups including two Error World Groups,Variety Coins,U.S.Coin Collecting,and World Coin Collecting. We also give away free coin books in a raffle as well as getting member's discounts on coin books and supplies,as well as discounts on certification through ANACS. Everthing done is for our member's,and I do not make any profit on any of this,it's all volunteer work. Member's here are more than welcome to come visit and see for yourselves. You might just be pleasantly surprised!Until next time,happy collecting. ~ Jim Archibald - EW Founder

Many of the leading numismatists of our time are EW regulars

Care to name any? By "leading" do you mean the likes of Slaney?

What so it's like absolutey free is it, and you don't make any profit!?

So a bit like here, but mostly about American coins, instead of British?

I'll pop by to add to your leading numismatists.

I've heard of Error World Chris and i've seen Laz before...

Although i'm not sure if we actually met.

Many of the leading numismatists of our time are EW regulars

Care to name any? By "leading" do you mean the likes of Slaney?

Yes sir, Fred Weinberg, Rich Schemmer, Arnie Margolis, Mike Byers, and Alan Herbert just to pick a few off the top of my head. Our EW5 group is on World coinage,including but not focused on British coinage. Though my new manager there is from Britain. B) We even have a EW Annex that's a forum on a similar system to this forum. We also run a free mini auction where collector's can buy and sell their duplicates for free. Similar to ebay but rather simple in comparison. As we don't make a profit,things need to be kept simple.

You nice folks are more than welcome to see for yourselves,here's our world coin group link...

http://groups.msn.com/WorldCoinCollecting

I'm registered here now,so you folks will be hearing from me again! :rolleyes: nice to meet all of you! :D ~ Jim

Yes sir, Fred Weinberg, Rich Schemmer, Arnie Margolis, Mike Byers, and Alan Herbert just to pick a few off the top of my head.

Yes i've come across Alan Herbert before (i think that must be from RCC). I also believe Stujoe is a member of EW group. Which i've heard about from cointalk.org

I bet there's a few others i've heard of too...

Yes sir, Fred Weinberg, Rich Schemmer, Arnie Margolis, Mike Byers, and Alan Herbert just to pick a few off the top of my head.

Yes i've come across Alan Herbert before (i think that must be from RCC). I also believe Stujoe is a member of EW group. Which i've heard about from cointalk.org

I bet there's a few others i've heard of too...

We have nearly 2,000 member's total throughout all of the groups. Alan Herbert is the author of the Official Price Guide to Mint Errors and is a writer for Numismatic News and World Coin News. ~ Jim

We have nearly 2,000 member's total throughout all of the groups. Alan Herbert is the author of the Official Price Guide to Mint Errors and is a writer for Numismatic News and World Coin News. ~ Jim

I knew he was a high flyer in the numismatic world! :D

I'm thinking of joining EW myself, just to check it out even though errors aren't exactly my scene.

I knew he was a high flyer in the numismatic world! :D

I'm thinking of joining EW myself, just to check it out even though errors aren't exactly my scene.

That's why I'm pointing you folks toward EW5,that's our world coin forum. I realize not everyone likes or actively collects errors.This is the main reason I had decided to add a US and World forum to our groups. The breakdown is fairly easy and there are navigation buttons on each site so that you can find your way around. If I can be of any help,just ask. I check the boards several times a day. ~ Jim

Chris, Your our webmaster here right? I'll be happy to give you some advertising in my various links pages throughout EW Groups if you'd like. Do you have a banner add for this forum yet? If you do,put it up somewhere so that I can grab it. ~ Jim

Jim,

I don't have a banner for the forum, i've never promoted the forum on its own, I found it grew pretty well without too much effort.

I do have a banner for the website in general though, I'll attach it below. You could take that and point it to the main URL or I'm sure I could adapt it if you'd rather link directly to the forum? Actually that one is out of date already, because at one stage I was considering doing something with world coins, but have found that British ones alone keep me very busy.

Thanks,

post-19-1081700604_thumb.gif

Jim,

I don't have a banner for the forum, i've never promoted the forum on its own, I found it grew pretty well without too much effort.

I do have a banner for the website in general though, I'll attach it below. You could take that and point it to the main URL or I'm sure I could adapt it if you'd rather link directly to the forum? Actually that one is out of date already, because at one stage I was considering doing something with world coins, but have found that British ones alone keep me very busy.

Thanks,

Thanks Chris,that'll work fine. ~ Jim