British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have 4 widths for 1896

Are there any other differences?

I have 4 widths for 1896

Are there any other differences?

Who knows? grade is awful

post-4824-052318400 1346718906_thumb.jpg

I'd never have guessed from the photo showing just the date... but you're right, it's not the best example!

I'd never have guessed from the photo showing just the date... but you're right, it's not the best example!

I've been on a lookout for an upgrade for some time without success; so i guess this ultrawide 1896 is rare, as is the wide date 1895, again mine being the only example I've seen

I've been on a lookout for an upgrade for some time without success; so i guess this ultrawide 1896 is rare, as is the wide date 1895, again mine being the only example I've seen

I've noted the date widths vary.When I got my Freeman's I went through my pot of spares and found a R13 1879.(close date)

The date spacings on the veiled heads I had noted but not pursued.Thanks for everyone's input :)

I've noted the date widths vary.When I got my Freeman's I went through my pot of spares and found a R13 1879.(close date)

The date spacings on the veiled heads I had noted but not pursued.Thanks for everyone's input :)

I'm one of those who thinks the bun penny "wide date" and "narrow date" varieties are distinct and separate designs (as Freeman also notes; there are usually other differences too) - I would certainly treasure an 1879 narrow date. The Old Head date spacings don't float my boat nearly so much, as they aren't distinctive in any other way, and Freeman ignores them. They are a curiosity though, especially the biggest spacings.

I'm one of those who thinks the bun penny "wide date" and "narrow date" varieties are distinct and separate designs (as Freeman also notes; there are usually other differences too) - I would certainly treasure an 1879 narrow date. The Old Head date spacings don't float my boat nearly so much, as they aren't distinctive in any other way, and Freeman ignores them. They are a curiosity though, especially the biggest spacings.

Not the best:

Penny1879%20F98%209%20+%20K%20REV%20500x500.jpg

Not the best:

Penny1879%20F98%209%20+%20K%20REV%20500x500.jpg

Perfectly acceptable! With a very thin film of olive oil, it would be quite lovely.

Much better than my two! another rare coin on my upgrade list!

Freeman only found 7 with the narrow date die out of 354 1879 pennies from circulation; applying Court's methodology that's a mintage of approx 152,000 out of 7,666,000

Note (and now I'm in Full Geek Mode) that my two coins have different date spacing (Gouby lists only 1) - so at least two narrow date dies were in use

post-4824-048504700 1346801193_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidrj

Details of dates

post-4824-039865300 1346801491_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidrj

Details of dates

Stay in Geek mode....very interesting :)

Perfectly acceptable! With a very thin film of olive oil, it would be quite lovely.

I'll try this over the next few days!

been away so missed the developments in this thread.

i got an 1879 narrow off ebay a few years back for a few quid. which was surprising.

and having looked at 1879 narrows elsewhere, i see it is clear there are at least 2 dies

973688.jpg