50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Indentify a private treasury coin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Orinda Mowat_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_Orinda Mowat_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:33 PM

The obverse side reads:
"100 grains sterling silver"
There is a head of a man, presumably William Wurzbach, stamped 1971.

The reverse side reads:
"From the private treasury of William A. Wurzbach"
There is a long-horned ram with a shepherd's staff.

Any ideas? Thanks.

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Master Jmd

Master Jmd

1613 - 1956 Farthings Master Jmd

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Interests:Coins, Tennis, Football, Final Fantasy Games, Zelda Games, Shoot um-up games, Strategy games. Also, a strange liking to American Quaters (Not that i do or will collect them).<br /><br />I have been collecting coins since September 2003 (putting any nice coins that i found aside from my change etc..), but i only started to realy consider coin collecting in February 2004.<br /><br />I am starting to collect farthings as they are cheaper, and easier for me to buy...my collection is coming allong quite well so far;<br /><br />My Farthing Collection:<br />1673 All obverse stops ommited Bold Fine - extremely rare<br />1694 1 and 4 high in date Bold Good Fine - Rare<br />1853/2 Very Fine/Good Very Fine - Very Rare<br />1857 Almost Brilliant Uncirculated Full Lustre<br />1881H Type B BU Full lustre<br />1882H Broken F BU Full lustre - Rare Date<br />1918 BU Full lustre<br />1920 BU Full lustre<br />1922 BU Full lustre - Very Rare, as condition<br />1924 BU Full lustre<br />1931 BU Full lustre<br />1932 BU Full lustre<br />1933 BU Full lustre<br />1935 BU Full lustre - Very Rare, as condition<br />1936 BU Full lustre<br />1937 BU Full lustre<br />1941 BU Full lustre<br />1942 BU Full lustre<br />1943 BU Full lustre<br />1944 BU Full lustre<br />1945 BU Full lustre<br />1946 BU Full lustre<br />1947 BU Full lustre<br />1948 BU Full lustre<br />1949 BU Full lustre - Rare<br />1950 BU Full lustre<br />1950 Proof FDC<br />1951 BU Full lustre<br />1951 Proof FDC<br />1952 BU Full lustre<br />1953 1+A BU Full lustre<br />1953 1+B BU Full lustre - Rare, as condition<br />1953 2+B BU Full lustre<br />1953 2+B Proof FDC<br />1954 BU Full lustre<br />1955 BU Full lustre<br />1956 BU Full lustre - Scarce, as condition<br /><br />My George II Sixpence Collection:<br />1757 VF Nice toning<br />1758/7 EF Much lustre on both sides - Rare as condition<br /><br />Others:<br />1817 Princess Charlotte Commemorative Token Fine or better<br />1855 OT Penny EF<br />1879 Obv.9 Rev.K Penny Fine - Very rare<br />1887 Half Sovereign AFDC Very nice<br />1907 Shilling EF Nearly full detail, especially on bust<br />1944 Double exergue Penny Unc - Rare<br />1953 Coronation Crown BU Full lustre<br />1960 Commemorative Crown BU Full lustre<br />1970 Proof set, all coins FDC<br />_______________________<br /><br />“I am just a poor boy, though my story seldom told,<br />I have squandered my resistance, for a pocket full of mumbles such are promises.<br /><br />All lies in jest, ‘till the man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest,<br /><br />Well I left my home and my family; I was no more than a boy,<br />In the company of strangers, in the quiet of the railway station running scared,<br /><br />Laying low seeking out the poorer quarters where the ragged people go,<br />Looking for the places only they would know,<br /><br />* * *<br /><br />Asking only workman’s wages, I come looking for a job but I get no offers,<br />Just a ‘come on’ from the whores on Seventh Avenue,<br /><br />I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome,<br /> I took some comfort there,<br /><br />* * *<br /><br />When I’m laying out my winter clothes and wishing I was gone,, going home,<br />Where the New York City winters are aren’t bleeding me, leading me, going home,<br /><br />In the clearing stands, a boxer, and a fighter by his trade, and he carries the reminders,<br />Of every glove that lay him down or cut him, ‘till he cried out, in his anger and his shame,<br />‘I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fire still remains’”<br /><br />The Boxer – Simon and Garfunkel

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:39 PM

William Wurzbach - german?
Posted Image
- Collecting since February 2004 -

#3 Geoff T

Geoff T

Important part of the furniture

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Half crowns, copper farthings, commemorative medals. Classical music, architecture, languages, travel, cooking, wine...

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:25 PM

This sounds like a medal. Wurzbach was a German medal collector who published a catalogue of his own collection in 1943, and this could be a medal struck in commemoration of him. The catalogue is

W.R.v. Wurzbach-Tannenberg, Katalog meiner Samm[l]ung von Medaillen, Plaketten und Jetons. 2 Bande. Leipzig 1943, Nachdruck.

(Catalogue of my collection of medals, medallions and tokens. 2 vols. Leipzig, 1943) The above reference is to a later reprint (Nachdruck).

Hope this helps.
<...and I know how to spell "definitely"