British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Why do you collect coins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you collect coins?

• Profit
    • For the fun of it
    • Because im bored and depressed
    • Its my family tradition
    • Other Reason

Why do you collect coins?

I collect them for both profit and fun. I hope one day that my more expensive coins will prove a sound investment for the future

bored and depre... no really i do it for the sheer fun of it! :D

Wth regard to the profit issue, does anyone know if profits made from coins require payment of capital gains tax (assuming the profit goes over your personal allowance)?

I don't even want to think about that! Obviously you have to pay tax on what profit you make in selling coins, but I don't know about the capital gains side of things.

I get the impression that hobby dealers and private individuals that sell the odd coin, never declare anything anyway <_<

No, you must declare it on your Tax Return I'm afraid. Even if one does small stuff once a year, for example a car boot sale, one must report it on their form - if one doesn't it be tax evasion matey ooh argh

I collect coins to learn.

When I sell on ebay there is no profit. In fact, it's an act of charitable giving on my part... usually to ebay :/

I'm not a tax advisor, but I believe capital gains only comes into play with a single disposal that results in a gain over the threshold limit, and the threshold is (around) 7000 pounds, so not a problem for most of us I should think. Note that is for a single item... it doesn't accumulate through the year, so lots of smaller items are not liable.

If you buy and sell coins as a source of income, then income tax is payable. They have criteria for deciding whether you're running a business or not and I imagine that if they decide you are then it's hard to get out of it!

I'm still not a tax advisor. This is a disclaimer. That was not tax advice.

I collect coins for fun!

I collect because I'm an obsessive nerd and I find it fun to tick off the varieties I have accumulated. Mostly it's fun but when I get beaten for something on eBay it aint! If I win and I think I have got a bargain however..... (not that money has anything to do with it!!!!) :lol:

Can I change my vote? I put in "other reason" thinking about history, art, etc, but it's really all for the fun of it.

I'm Tom's obsessive nerd brother--I also tick off my types. :P

I agree with Chris, let's not even think about the tax implications. I don't want to have to find out what a capital losses form is all about.

How long have you all been collecting (number of years). I have been collecting since I was 7 or 8 when my Grandad gave me all of his old coins he saved back in 1971 after decimalisation. That means that I have been collecting for 7 years.