British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jon Styles

1853 penny

Guest Jon Styles

[

URL=cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3905076225&category=3397]My Webpage

Could anyone help me to figure out if this is a 1853 proof penny or not, because I have just bought it off ebay. It has a rainbow like tone and after close inspection, the letters on both sides of the coin have been doudle struck. Is is a very sharp strike and the field has a sort of mirror like shine to it. After close examination of similar copper coins, this coins dosent share many of the same characteristics. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PICTURE HAS BEEN TAKEN WITH A FLASH TO HIGHLIGHT THE RAINBOW TONING.

Many thanks for your help,

Jon. Styles.

My Webpage

this is the link you are after^

i would say:

reproduction

or

cleaned

or

fake

or

ext. rare

but im just a kid :)

Could anyone help me to figure out if this is a 1853 proof penny or not, because I have just bought it off ebay.

I'd say it isn't a proof, I've seen them toned like that before, usually after being dipped.

And double striking on close examination is common with those. Also the fields really don't look smooth enough to be a proof.

I'd say it a high grade dipped coin that has re toned, and be very confident in that.

as they say...you learn something every day :)

How can I tell if its been dipped?

Normally, from the un-natural tone, often too bright, or with purples like that penny. Sometimes too orange. You just get the feel for a dipped coin.

Harder to tell than a polished coin because with polishing you get hairlines.

Are dipped coins worth anything at all?

Yes, but less than the ones that aren't dipped. It all depends on the individual coin. Personally I try to avoid putting dipped coins on the website, unless they are scarcer or I maybe purchased them in a collection.

I always ask less than I would normally ask if they were naturally toned.

Unfortunately here in Germany dipped coins are common. German collectors seem to put an emphasis on appearance, and not originality, which is what it should be about.

Then how much, in your learned opinion, would this penny be worth?

Thanks.

Well, the pictures were good enough, it was sold in good faith at a fair auction, so the market says it was worth £110.00 (what it sold for).

Personally I would try to avoid it, but I expect I'd be interested at £40 or a bit more.

But please bear in mind that is a dealer opinion and not a collector.

Hmmm, it's that dipped coin again, with a very ambitious start price, and a reserve!

There's a really nasty looking dipped sixpence on coinpeople (thanks to Sylvester! :P ):

Ugly coin competition

Hey i'm the proud owner of that beast. :D

Eurgh! Did you buy it........or, shock-horror, did you dip it??

it came in a bag of junk silver from ebay, most were alright, a few had been dipped and had etchy surfaces, a small handfull looked like this one. The one above was the third worst, i gave the other two away in a trade.

I still have the one pictured, and two that are 3 quarters of the way there.

That Edward VII one looks pretty good. (next to the Charles one)

I'd like to see the obverse of that George III one near the George IV at the top, if it's as good as the reverse it'll be super! Im contemplating buying it......oo only 11m31s to go

Is your ebay name newmarket_lad Oli? You've won if it is... :D

Did you win it Emperor Oli?

No, I didn't bid in the end as I knew i was going to manchester today so I needed the money!

Did you go into Colin Cookes place Oli, and what did you buy?

I didn't go into his place I bought on the web. I can't remember exactly what I bought but I got the majority of the 1950s set and about six from the 1940s