British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

What is your best buy?

What is your best buy? profitable or favourible?

my best buy was a whitman folder for florins 1941 - 1967, it had these coins with it; 1941,42,45-57,59-67...all uncirculated...bought for £10.49 from ebay...and according to my British Coins Market Values 2004, they are all together worth around £160 :)

Edited by Master J.M.D

this is it:

d7_1_b.JPG82_1.JPG

Well good question.

I once got 5 Wreath Crowns and a whole load of other quality stuff for £70.00

A large quantity of early milled, lots of BU modern, few bit of Roman, lots of quality Victorian and later for £350.00 I've already tripled my money on that lot and am still selling some of it!

I was once offered a shoe box of cigarette cards for £2.00 and was able to get £70 for them!

There have been others too, but some of them I'd rather keep under wraps at the moment ;-)

There have been others too, but some of them I'd rather keep under wraps at the moment ;-)

Oooh the mystery! :P

My best buy would be an 1820 Half crown. Bought for £80, it is worth £225 in EF I'd grade mine AEF so £185?? - the wonders of ebay!

I don't have an incredibly valuable coin in my collection, but I have 503 coins and if I were to value them all, the collection would be worth quite a lot altogether. I do have a gold gilt 1900 GEF farthing which I am proud of though, and an UNC farthing of 1901. Oh yeah, and I do have a nice 1883 halfcrown in EF, worth £100 according to Spink 2003, and £90 according to Coin Yearbook 2004(I am wondering how accurate Coin Yearbook is! ;) ), but someone has used it as a brooch in the past, so I am unsure of it's value. There is a picture of it here:

post-19-1081331535_thumb.jpg

the marks from the brooch is unfortunate...

my favourite coins are: (in order)

• Edward VII Coronation Crown
  • 1907 Edward VII shiling with some lustre
  • 1914 Silver Threepence with some lustre
  • Rhodisian Half Crown EF. 1941
  • unc. 2p coins 1993 - 2003
  • 1797 cartwheel penny

I think i told you before what that's worth William.

And wherever did you get a gilt 1900 farthing from? ;-)

Did you see my Gilt 1799 Halfpenny on the website?

My best buy would have to be the 1688 James II half guinea, bought it one and half years ago for £225, and now looking in the coin catalogue it's worth about £375-£400

Best buy ever.

Ah yes, I've found it now, £5 was what you said for the half crown. I have seen that gold gilt 1799 half penny on the site, but that's much to expensive for me at the moment! :(

Last weekend I was passing a local jewellers and saw they had some loose sovereigns in the window. I went in and asked for a closer look and, to cut a long story short, walked out with a near UNC 1874 sovereign for only £70. Spink gives £225 for an UNC.

I'd say it was my best buy to date, although I nearly didn't buy it (largely because I'd bought a 1908 Sydney Mint sovereign the weekend before). Addictive these coin thingies.

Wow what luck! I didn't think a jeweller's would sell it for so little - fools!

Wow what luck! I didn't think a jeweller's would sell it for so little - fools!

They also sell them for alot more that catelogue price too. I've seen G5 sovereigns in AVF priced up at £80 before now.

Mine would have to be

1) a Charles II merk. Sold to me by a dealer who said 'here, this is the same as a shilling' I paid £40 but two years later saw some in Spink's Numismatic Circular with unusual obverse/reverse die axes. A quick check and it's upped in my records to more like £250.

2) A Charles I shilling I didn't buy! I was outbid on eBay but was later contacted by the buyer. A few chats later I was offered several coins, one of which had passed through the hands of three well(ish) known 20th century collectors.

That reminds me: I bought a collection once and included with it were 3 of the original 1903-04 Murdoch collection Spink auction catalogues.

All are fully illustrated, but most interestingly, in one or two of them, they have the buyers names and prices hand written in ink, in the margin next to the lots. So perhaps it was even the auctioneers copy! And there are some famous names written there too.

I still have them, and only wish I could time travel to 1903 with £1000.

lol...if i traveled to 1903 with £1000 then i would have to buy atleast one 1903 soverign :)

lol...if i traveled to 1903 with £1000 then i would have to buy atleast one 1903 soverign :)

I think i'd be setting my sights a little higher than change searching... ;)