British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest john

pfenning

Guest john
:huh: i have a 2 pfenning coin but , i just keep being told it is pfennig . i can read and its date is 1825.? wheres it from please.?

Again, not my area, but it is pfennig. I don't think the German states were unified at that time (it was all fragmented and there were lots of little states, Prussia was the largest I think) so it could be from one of those...

Ahh yes I'm right:

Bismarck had to fight three wars to unify Germany. The 1864 Danish War helped Bismarck consolidate his internal position in Prussia. The War of 1866 ousted Austria from leadership in Germany for good. The Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 brought the South under the aegis of the Prussian eagle. That was the unification process in a nutshell.

Full Article

If you registered and attached a photo/scan, we may be able to value it for you.

Guest john
Again, not my area, but it is pfennig. I don't think the German states were unified at that time (it was all fragmented and there were lots of little states, Prussia was the largest I think) so it could be from one of those...

Ahh yes I'm right:

Bismarck had to fight three wars to unify Germany. The 1864 Danish War helped Bismarck consolidate his internal position in Prussia. The War of 1866 ousted Austria from leadership in Germany for good. The Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 brought the South under the aegis of the Prussian eagle. That was the unification process in a nutshell.

Full Article

If you registered and attached a photo/scan, we may be able to value it for you.

its spelled pfenning

Ok, well, attach a picture because we don't have much to go off

Or just tell me what the writing says on the coin and describe the coat of arms, it should have the name of the state or be identifiable somehow.

Guest mish

I've just had a quick look through the Krause & Mischler 19th century World Coins Catalog. Under the German States, there are indeed some that issued coins under the name Pfenning (presumably a local variant of the usual word Pfennig). Most of these low denomination pieces were issued during the Napoleonic period, however the state of Lippe-Detmold in northwestern Germany issued coins using the name Pfenning into the 1850s. I cannot find a record of a 2 Pfenning piece struck in 1825 - in fact the only 2 Pfenning piece struck in Lippe-Detmold was in 1802. Both 1 and 1 1/2 Pfenning pieces were however issued in 1825. I hope that's of some help.

Way back in 1825 in Germany nobody knew how to spell, and much like in Great Britain too, there were always local variants.

Does the coin actually state '2' on it?

Guest john

;) the coin in question does say,

scheide munze

pfenning

------------

A

DOES THIS HELP .?.

Could it read 'Pfenninge' (the plural) with an 'E' at the end. Perhaps the 'E' has worn off.

From the 'A' mint mark (for Berlin) it's most likely Prussian, and should have a crowned coat of arms featuring an eagle on the back with '180 EINEN THALER' written around the top of it?

This catalogue says it's worth EUR20.00 if in EF condition. If it's worn and around average, they are common, and not worth very much at all.

Guest john
:D thankyou for your help ,my eyes arent that good there is an E on the end of pfenninge and the 180 einen thaler with the crest is perfect .thanks again i'll keep looking for a coin to make us rich.