50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

pfenning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:21 AM

:huh: i have a 2 pfenning coin but , i just keep being told it is pfennig . i can read and its date is 1825.? wheres it from please.?

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Emperor Oli

Emperor Oli

Nitpicker-General of CC

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Interests:Coins, Tennis, Shopping, Politics and Current Affairs the usual

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:49 AM

Again, not my area, but it is pfennig. I don't think the German states were unified at that time (it was all fragmented and there were lots of little states, Prussia was the largest I think) so it could be from one of those...

Ahh yes I'm right:

Bismarck had to fight three wars to unify Germany. The 1864 Danish War helped Bismarck consolidate his internal position in Prussia. The War of 1866 ousted Austria from leadership in Germany for good. The Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 brought the South under the aegis of the Prussian eagle. That was the unification process in a nutshell.

Full Article

If you registered and attached a photo/scan, we may be able to value it for you.
<LEFT><A HREF="http://www.omnicoin....coin</A></LEFT>

J'ai d'autres chats à fouetter!

<RIGHT><A HREF="http://cgi6.ebay.co....sort=3&rows=50" target="_blank">Ebay!</A></RIGHT>

#3 Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:56 AM

Again, not my area, but it is pfennig. I don't think the German states were unified at that time (it was all fragmented and there were lots of little states, Prussia was the largest I think) so it could be from one of those...

Ahh yes I'm right:

Bismarck had to fight three wars to unify Germany. The 1864 Danish War helped Bismarck consolidate his internal position in Prussia. The War of 1866 ousted Austria from leadership in Germany for good. The Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 brought the South under the aegis of the Prussian eagle. That was the unification process in a nutshell.

Full Article

If you registered and attached a photo/scan, we may be able to value it for you.

its spelled pfenning

#4 Emperor Oli

Emperor Oli

Nitpicker-General of CC

• Expert Member
  • 2,399 posts
  • Interests:Coins, Tennis, Shopping, Politics and Current Affairs the usual

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:03 AM

Ok, well, attach a picture because we don't have much to go off
<LEFT><A HREF="http://www.omnicoin....coin</A></LEFT>

J'ai d'autres chats à fouetter!

<RIGHT><A HREF="http://cgi6.ebay.co....sort=3&rows=50" target="_blank">Ebay!</A></RIGHT>

#5 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

Proprietor of Predecimal.com and Rotographic Publications

• Admin
  • 5,129 posts
  • Interests:Nummi gratia fori defensor

Well obviously British coins. Classic cars (mainly Triumph and other BL masterpieces of the 70s). Heavy old rock music from prog to metal (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Zep, Rammstein etc etc). I still fancy Kylie Minogue.

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:22 AM

Or just tell me what the writing says on the coin and describe the coat of arms, it should have the name of the state or be identifiable somehow.

Chris Perkins
British Numismatic Trade Association (BNTA) Member.

Predecimal.com
Coins, accessories and Information.
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

CCGB20143Dmini.jpg GBCsmall3d.jpg BECM3Dmini.jpgBICM3Dmini.jpgESH3ds.jpg RBM3ds.jpg RSC3ds.jpg  kindle_48.png epub_48.png

The Current Rotographic book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

#6 Guest_mish_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_mish_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:05 AM

I've just had a quick look through the Krause & Mischler 19th century World Coins Catalog. Under the German States, there are indeed some that issued coins under the name Pfenning (presumably a local variant of the usual word Pfennig). Most of these low denomination pieces were issued during the Napoleonic period, however the state of Lippe-Detmold in northwestern Germany issued coins using the name Pfenning into the 1850s. I cannot find a record of a 2 Pfenning piece struck in 1825 - in fact the only 2 Pfenning piece struck in Lippe-Detmold was in 1802. Both 1 and 1 1/2 Pfenning pieces were however issued in 1825. I hope that's of some help.

#7 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

• Admin
  • 5,129 posts

Well obviously British coins. Classic cars (mainly Triumph and other BL masterpieces of the 70s). Heavy old rock music from prog to metal (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Zep, Rammstein etc etc). I still fancy Kylie Minogue.

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:09 AM

Way back in 1825 in Germany nobody knew how to spell, and much like in Great Britain too, there were always local variants.

Does the coin actually state '2' on it?

Chris Perkins

Predecimal.com
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

CCGB20143Dmini.jpg GBCsmall3d.jpg BECM3Dmini.jpgBICM3Dmini.jpgESH3ds.jpg RBM3ds.jpg RSC3ds.jpg  kindle_48.png epub_48.png

The Current Rotographic book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

#8 Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:29 AM

;) the coin in question does say,
scheide munze
pfenning
------------
A

DOES THIS HELP .?.

#9 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

• Admin
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:54 AM

Could it read 'Pfenninge' (the plural) with an 'E' at the end. Perhaps the 'E' has worn off.

From the 'A' mint mark (for Berlin) it's most likely Prussian, and should have a crowned coat of arms featuring an eagle on the back with '180 EINEN THALER' written around the top of it?

This catalogue says it's worth EUR20.00 if in EF condition. If it's worn and around average, they are common, and not worth very much at all.

Chris Perkins

Predecimal.com
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

#10 Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest

Guest_john_I'm_a_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:16 AM

:D thankyou for your help ,my eyes arent that good there is an E on the end of pfenninge and the 180 einen thaler with the crest is perfect .thanks again i'll keep looking for a coin to make us rich.