British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest matt whaley

1773 georgeivs III coin

Oh no; budget cuts would soon see our ideas off!

I want to be the Crown crusher. My aim in life is to make the Churchill Crown a rarity, now how many would i have to destroy to get it to that level?

Actually it's probably gonna be easier to get a full set of Gothic Florins in BU than it is to eliminate the Churchill Crown almost entirely from the numismatic collecting pool.

Hi Sylvester,

I think it would be easier to get a Gothic Crown in UNC than to make the Churchill a rarity. I just lookd up the mintage of the damn thing-19,640,000!

Also the mintage of the 1967 penny is 654,564,000. Scary!!

Also the mintage of the 1967 penny is 654,564,000. Scary!!

my advice to you don't look at 1971 pennies...

It doesn't have that in Coin Yearbook or Spink, and those our my only reference books...

It doesn't have that in Coin Yearbook or Spink, and those our my only reference books...

1,521,666,250 for the 1971 penny

only beaten by 1,634,976,005 1990 5 pences

(william @ Apr 4 2004, 07:30 PM)

It doesn't have that in Coin Yearbook or Spink, and those ARE my only reference books... 

1,521,666,250 for the 1971 penny

only beaten by 1,634,976,005 1990 5 pences

This is probably stretching it a bit but do we know how many are taken out of circulation?

This is probably stretching it a bit but do we know how many are taken out of circulation?

I doubt many of the 5p's will still be out, i think the novelty will have worn off by now and they'll be pretty much in circ.

The pennies on the other handhave been round alot longer and many will have been lost, damaged, destroyed, hoarded, thrown down wells...

That and i don't tend to see all that many of them. 1971 2p's on the other hand seem far more prevalent, even though they are of a slightly lower mintage.

The pennies on the other handhave been round alot longer and many will have been lost, damaged, destroyed, hoarded, thrown down wells...

I'm honestly not surprised, that's about all 1971 pennies are good for!!

I'm honestly not surprised, that's about all 1971 pennies are good for!!

Erm...and spending!? :blink:

Erm...and spending!? :blink:

I save 'em all!

OK - enough! Enough! I have decided to come to the support of the Churchill Crown!

.........Sorry 'bout the pause, I thought I could hear the coin police on the stairs...

It may not be a wonderful coin but it IS interesting. Unusually, it has a head on each side but no value shown. And (at the time) it was an attempt to put some more modern are onto our coinage.

Perhaps not succesful, but what about the 1977 crown? The Queen looks like she's wearing a tea towel not a hat and the horse is a disgrace compared to those of Charles I that presumably provided the idea.

If you want a portrait to complain about, what about the Victorian Jubilee - she looks like a penguin with a currant bun on her head.

I think we should take all the Churchill crowns, countermark them with the bust of Margaret Thatcher and sell them to the Americans....

I must stop doing that. I think I'm replying to a topic and miss the fact that there's another page..........

sorry.

If you want a portrait to complain about, what about the Victorian Jubilee - she looks like a penguin with a currant bun on her head.

No she does not! I love that portrait! Ok, ok. The young head is much nicer, but the Old Head is horrible, much worse than the Jubilee head! The bun head is also nice, I love that one as well. So if you want to complain, complain about the Victorian Old Head instead. Does that suit everyone?! Oh yeah, and we haven't even mentioned the beauty of the Gothic florin/crown...

The pennies on the other handh ave been round alot longer and many will have been lost, damaged, destroyed, hoarded, thrown down wells...

That and i don't tend to see all that many of them. 1971 2p's on the other hand seem far more prevalent, even though they are of a slightly lower mintage.

Sylvester,

All the 71 pennies were shipped over here to US. I have about 200+ of them, from buying bulk lots from dealers. They use them as cheap filler. I figure if I save enough of them, I can take them across the pond when I come over to visit. (I wonder if they will let me through Heathrow with a 400 pound suitcase full of pennies??)

Not to mention about 6 dozen of the old '67 large pennies.

But fortunately, I have only 1 Churchill, just as an example that it existed. A dealer/friend saw me looking at some of his British coins once and asked me if I had one, which I didn't. He pulled out a cigar box with a couple hundred, and told me to pick one out, gratis. He literally could not give them away.

But fortunately, I have only 1 Churchill, just as an example that it existed. A dealer/friend saw me looking at some of his British coins once and asked me if I had one, which I didn't. He pulled out a cigar box with a couple hundred, and told me to pick one out, gratis. He literally could not give them away.

Welcome Kuhli!

Yes i'm afraid the Churchill Crowns are somewhat common. I did have one, but by sheer miracle labmom bought it.

So i'm now liberated! :D

Yes i'm afraid the Churchill Crowns are somewhat common. I did have one, but by sheer miracle labmom bought it.

Labmom?! :blink: I wouldn't think Labmom would be that stupid! :o

Labmom?! :blink: I wouldn't think Labmom would be that stupid! :o

Sussssh not so loud... she collects crowns on and off, as well as most other world coins.