British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

The most detailed enquiry?

Someone sent me a message, hoping to sell me a coin. I thought I'd post it here, because it has to be about the most detailed articulate and concise coin offer I ever received!!

----- Original Message -----

To: <cp@predecimal.com>

Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:33 PM

Subject: Coin bits for old bobs

> Predecimal.com Contact form. It was submitted by

> (*********@yahoo.com) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 11:33:50

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> message: one small silver coin a face with inscription on one side and a man sitting with a lance on the other.

>

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was my reply, I don't know why I bother. I should have just deleted the message. I waste my time on these everyday.

Well that's useful info thanks!!

How on earth am I supposed to know what you are talking about with feeble details like that??? How big is it? What does the writing

say? Where is it from? What date?

That's like trying to sell a car by saying in a newspaper ad: 'Red car for sale, with steering wheel' !!!

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Bearing in mind the date, are you sure it wasn't someone trying to wind you up? Are we sure it's not you trying to wind us up? ;)

Sounds like a Britannia groat to me!! 'A man with a lance' - thats a classic!! I've never heard Britannia described like that (and I am only presuming its Britannia!!)

Good point Geoff, but I'm far to gulliable to have even thought about that. And I'm far too busy to have thought about the latter.

Right, if I find out it was any of you lot!

:lol: What I want to know, is why people would give you rubbish info like that and expect to get a reply. They don't even tell you what they want; are they trying to sell you a coin, or are they trying to identify a coin, or what?! Punctuation would help a great deal too!

Well, they used the web form on my 'Coin bits for old bobs' page, so I must assume that the person wants to exchange the mystery coin for collecting accessories or books.

Although people like that just use the first form they come across, so you're right, I don't know if they want to sell it, exchange it, or even buy one!

...and I bet that he's just gonna forget he even sent you that form now!

Well look, not all people are coin aficionados (like us!). I mean, if I wanted to sell say a pocketwatch, I would have no idea where to start. Granted, it was quite thin but what does one expect from an amateur? However if you get lots of them each day, you must get quite irate but don't pass them by; there could be a Una & the Lion just around the corner!

If I wanted to sell a pocket watch I would go into detail about what metal it was, shape, size, if it has a lid or not, the type of hands, the type of numbers, chain type, and of course most importantly the makers marks on the back if present.

Even for someone who knows nothing about anything, that was very feeble, I'm sure you'll agree.

And I never pass them by, you do get worthwhille things offered sometimes.

If I wanted to sell a pocket watch I would go into detail about what metal it was, shape, size, if it has a lid or not, the type of hands, the type of numbers, chain type, and of course most importantly the makers marks on the back if present.

That about right, also you might whant to state whether it was a hunter, half hunter or open, whether it is stem wound or key wound.

Cracks or fissures on the enamelled faces also detract from value.

Also like you say, the hallmarks, whether it be London/Birmingham/Sheffield/Chester or some other non descript place. And the date letter... (presuming of course it is a quality piece not just some modern trash)

One thing you did forget of course is, does it work? ;)

(or is it for spares?) :D

Alright, alright, but it was a better atempt than our friend with the 'silver coin'.

Alright, alright, but it was a better atempt than our friend with the 'silver coin'.

sorry i couldn't resist! :D

Has he replied to your emailo yet, Chris, or am I right in saying that he's never returning?

it could be an Edward VII florin...

Actually it turned out to be a quite nice looking Greek (Roman imperial) silver coin.

:blink::huh:

But I haven't replied to it's owner yet, purely because of the stupid first email! :D:o

it could be an Edward VII florin...

The E VII florin shows Britannia standing, not sitting so it couldn't have been that anyway

That's very true. But maybe she was very tall and was actually sitting on a stool? :huh:

:lol:

Hmm I'm just not seeing Britannia, the epitomy of Britain sitting on a stool - maybe it's just me!

Yes, but if it had been so, it would have been a good honest British made stool, hand worked from a mighty oak by a skilled British craftsman. It would have been such a special stool that the King himself would have gladly swapped is throne for it.

Anyway, we'll stop that there, I feel it's getting stupid.

Yes, but if it had been so, it would have been a good honest British made stool, hand worked from a mighty oak by a skilled British craftsman. It would have been such a special stool that the King himself would have gladly swapped is throne for it.

Anyway, we'll stop that there, I feel it's getting stupid.

Very interesting Chris :unsure:

Good description, how much for the red car. LOL Raoul

GB£5000.00, but it does have a black steering wheel.