British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

The New Check Your Change 2007

The next book expected in the Rotographic family will be 'Check your Change 2007'. The first new edition since 1970! It's another important milestone in terms of layout too because for the first time colour has been used within the listings (not just for the images) to give it a very modern feel but also to make it easier to read.

Pages 3 to 45 can be downloaded to inspect here:

http://www.rotographic.com/books/CYC3to33.pdf

The basic information in what you see was put together by our very own forum member Kuhli. The PDF has very low resolution images to make the file small (total about 2.5mb).

A bit of an international effort so far: concept in the USA, typeset in India, coin photos done in Germany and layout designed in the UK. In about 6 months it will be printed in Latvia.

Let me know what you all think.

And bought by all our Russian customers :rolleyes::D

This looks like a really good little book, the layout is super.

Small query (as always!), the book has F.D. translated as "Fidelis defensor", but I always thought it was "Fidei defensor". Might just be some bad grammar on my part. I'm open to correction from a superior Latin scholar!

Edit: P41, 1995 Dove £2 commemorating 50 years since the end of [blank]. Also, some coins listed with "piefort"; I thought it was piedfort, but I've googled it and it seems both are acceptable. You learn something new etc etc.

I think I prefer Piedfort, I'll check to see what word the Royal Mint use.

And I think you might be right with the Fidei Defensor too, I'll check. Unless that's because it used to be Defender of the faith and then at some point because of the multi culti thing became Defender of the faiths.

I found a pro for the layout and she did a wonderful job didn't she.

And I think you might be right with the Fidei Defensor too, I'll check. Unless that's because it used to be Defender of the faith and then at some point because of the multi culti thing became Defender of the faiths.

Yep, super looking book Chris. I'm sure it will be very popular. It's a good way to get beginers into the hobby aswell.

The 1960's version sold 1.75 million copies! Which is absolutely breathtaking, but unlikely to be quite so many this time round. In the 60's of course coins were still in circulation from 1816. I do think though that a book exposing the myths about decimal coinage will be a good idea, and I do believe that lots of members of the public will find a book useful, even if it is just to have a record of all the decimal coins in one place.

A very good book for all modern collectors, not just the 'treasure seeker' in joe public! I do wonder at where the valuations come from. I picked one £2 (I currently lack), the 1989 'Claim of rights' in uncirculated. I sent to Chard for this coin, advertised "in stock", priced, as you give, at £5 only to be told it was out of stock. (I see they still claim to have stock). This coin is currently trading on the dreaded e-bay, for over £10 for UNC. Looking at lots of other sites, I cannot find an example. Is this scarcer that you say, or just the artificial manipulation of the market by dealer?

Yes, I think the 'Claim' is far scarcer than the 'Bill'. The prices are still subject to adjustment before the book gets published.

The next book expected in the Rotographic family will be 'Check your Change 2007'. The first new edition since 1970! It's another important milestone in terms of layout too because for the first time colour has been used within the listings (not just for the images) to give it a very modern feel but also to make it easier to read.

Pages 3 to 45 can be downloaded to inspect here:

http://www.rotographic.com/books/CYC3to33.pdf

The basic information in what you see was put together by our very own forum member Kuhli. The PDF has very low resolution images to make the file small (total about 2.5mb).

A bit of an international effort so far: concept in the USA, typeset in India, coin photos done in Germany and layout designed in the UK. In about 6 months it will be printed in Latvia.

Let me know what you all think.

I like the way you have highligted every other line in the pricing pages. That really helps direct you to the correct price.

I also like the layout of the book, and the use of color throughout the sample document, with th exception of the "bold" purple type on page 7, which is very gaudy.

Very good job.

Bob C.

The bold purple on p7 is just to remind me that that part needs attention (dates checking etc)! I should have mentioned that.

I can't take the credit for the wonderful and clever use of colour, that was the page designer. Worth every penny though, it really sets it apart I think.

Just had a look at it. Looks really good! Well done!

HPJ.

Yes. definitely Fidei Defensor: Defender of the Faith. Fidelis defensor would be Faithful Defender.

G

Yes. definitely Fidei Defensor: Defender of the Faith. Fidelis defensor would be Faithful Defender.

G

Is this Inscription was inscripted in a coin or a coin commemerating the UNION of Scotland and England that its meaning is not only for trade or economy or politics and power but more deeper meaning that was very beneficial to both nations and still applicable in this days,That should not be forgoten and remembered most of the times and can someone post a picture of that coin and the new coin that they will going to release a 2 pound coin commomerating that historic event that they inscription may last till end of our time.

I noticed that the book didn't mention the enhanced effigy on 20p coins from 1992 onwards. Other than that, brilliant.

Thanks, yes that's something to add. And I'll change the Latin.

Has anyone seen Kuhli around anywhere, on other forums perhaps? He hasn't answered my email and hasn't been here for a while. I want to arrange with him the sending of a small fee for the groundwork done on what will become Check your Change.

Thanks, yes that's something to add. And I'll change the Latin.

Has anyone seen Kuhli around anywhere, on other forums perhaps? He hasn't answered my email and hasn't been here for a while. I want to arrange with him the sending of a small fee for the groundwork done on what will become Check your Change.

Kuhli is around on CP, he posted something just today. In fact he lives almost spittin distance from me.

I don't know if it helps with valuation, but I have just bought (on ebay 'Buy It Now') both 1989 Claim and Bill of Rights in the mint folder, for £9.95 + pp. At the same time, an uncirculated Claim was bought for £15.90 on the auction site! Talk about a confused market!

That just sums up Ebay.

To some extent its no different to walking around a coin fair and seeing similar coins drastically varying in price.

Yes , but over £15 for one coin from a set that cost under £10 for both coins!!!

Is fake coin found in circulation in the book?

In the past I tried to exchange coins from holiday in dublin airport the staff always returning it.

Stuborn as I am tried it more than 3 times I guess it is a fake seen some post in this forum.

I have mentioned in it about fake £1 coins but I have not gone into great details or listed the known types.

That is good to know, for me it is better to list the know type for public and holiday makers.

If ever before you are going to published the book,seen some author promoting thier book in tv mostly on the news as one I saw but diff. channel any chance you can promote your book to the BBC tv station and also invited them to this forum if it will materialized will you inform us when it will be aired just pushing luck.

I wish I could get a TV appearance for the book! Such things are difficult though.

I am talking to Bertrams books, who are big in the industry. A lady there that I met at the Frankfurt bookfair really seems to want to help and she is giving me tips on book promotion and at the moment on how to create an Advance Information sheet to distribute to book sellers.

Well just another idea chris it might work or need much more convincing on other media or medium for thier is a calling or need in the past as discuss in this forum about coinage and history its not all metal or bullion of coin thier is a meaning and history in the incription of the coin as the goverment encouraging the younger generation to have interest or study in university and museum for me it is somewhat thier social obligation or social responsibilities to promote and support this and other book, for thier are many collector and expert in this forum is also a historian thats only my opinion

I think you should lobby the Irish and UK parliaments Josie and force them to make ownership of my book compulsary for every man woman and child in the British Isles!

(I don't think that would be very easy, but it would certainly make me very rich! I'll give you 10% if you suceed)