British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I've just had word from my sister, who is wintering in Texas, that she has the last state quarter,South Dakota, to complete my Quarter collection to date. I started the Whitman while on holiday with her in Texas a couple of yers ago. 40 down, 10 to go! :P

This brought to mind that this system of commemorative coins could work for the UK, one per county. What do you all think? B)

I've just had word from my sister, who is wintering in Texas, that she has the last state quarter,South Dakota, to complete my Quarter collection to date. I started the Whitman while on holiday with her in Texas a couple of yers ago. 40 down, 10 to go! :P

This brought to mind that this system of commemorative coins could work for the UK, one per county. What do you all think? B)

Is each county distinct enough to warrant its own coin? Travelling across America it's like going through lots of different countries: I don't think Britain is like that.

Perhaps another series akin to the the one pound coins bridges would be a good idea - redesign of all the reverse heraldry perhaps?

I think that inhabitants of each county would assert their difference from all other counties, especially if you took the 'old' boundaries - Cumberland, Westmoreland etc. After all, the accents differ enough!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Geordie582

And down south you can wander between Kent, Sussex and Surrey and be astounded by the miriad of local differences!

Then you have some counties which are independent in spirit, say Cornwall. For they even have their own language out there. And even occasionally their very own sterling notes.

I hate the state quarters, being near to Canada I confuse them with Canadian coins, which I try to avoid like the plaque since they are worth less than a US 25¢ coin.

Still! Maybe we can do without another series of pseudo coins muddying the hobby? I know I collected them and feel pressure to complete the series, but that was only because of the lack of hammered English coins in Rockport, Texas. ;)

Yes. Having just seen the new designs for the £5, £2, £1 and 50p coins I think we're well on the way to pseudocurrency already!!

Not long before we will see different 20ps, etc every blooming year as well!?

Edited by TomGoodheart

I suppose we should recognise that they provide an easy and cheap introduction to collecting, but something to be treated as a casual aside to the main event! :lol:

I noticed that most of the Whitman sales in the States were to youngsters.

Edited by Geordie582

Yes. Despite complaining, if I find a new design in my change I always quite readily squirrel it away. Plus any counterfeit £1s and the usual Manx, Gibraltar etc coins you occasionally find.

But as you say Geordie, it is an aside! Been a few years since I found a Chas I shilling in my change. (Oops, showing my age! :P )

Is each county distinct enough to warrant its own coin? Travelling across America it's like going through lots of different countries: I don't think Britain is like that.

The states quarters were interesting at first, but after awhile you lose interests in them. I don't even save the new ones when they come out anymore. The Presidential $1 coins mean nothing to me either. Frankly some of them are commemorating individuals not worthy of such. For instance Richard Nixon, for whom stuff is still being revealed about his chicanery even most recently.

Funnily enough, I did have a similar thought a couple of years ago. I tried coming up with some mock designs using coats of arms of the counties. Some worked - some didn't. Have a look here and see a later revision of the designs and see what you think...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/hertfordian/

Cheers

Hertfordian

The real value of any numismatic program is...What does it do for the hobby? The USA Quarter series has brought a whole new generation of collectors into the hobby, and for that reason alone it has been a hugh success.

I go to three to four differant local Coin Clubs a month, and at each of them, you see younger collectors entering the hobby. In most cases they started with the Quarter series.

None of the new quarters are rare, or scarce, except for a few errors, but I think the program has been very helpful to the Hobby in general.

Bob C.

Nice examples of the possibilities, Hertfordian! Which counties with whom you think there would be a problem? I already suggested that we would have to hark back to the 'old' counties to make any sense! :D

I have dibs on the ones from Inverness and Londonderry. :D

Nice examples of the possibilities, Hertfordian! Which counties with whom you think there would be a problem? I already suggested that we would have to hark back to the 'old' counties to make any sense! :D

The main area where I think there would be problems would be with the Scottish counties as they've now all been made into unitary authorities (as far as I can see) and therefore all of the historical names/coats of arms etc. are very out of date...

Moreover, this would cause more confusion in terms of how many coins to actually issue - where to draw the line etc- similarly the point re: Ireland (do you count Ulster and Eire or just Ulster) - someone would have to make a decision re: what's the cut-off point timeline-wise. What about London - would each borough (32 in total?) want their own one?! Could be a VERY large programme more in line with some of the offerings from the Royal Canadian Mint! ;-)

Cheers

Hertfordian

I agree! There would be more in-fighting and out-fighting to make this a non-starter. Just as well! I don't think I have any more room :rolleyes:

If Northern Ireland were excluded, I rather believe such an issue would be harmonious to most. Even those raballious Scots :lol: