British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
scottishmoney

Firefox VS IE

I made the switch about 6 months ago. I like Mozilla Firefox better for many things, for one posting images in forum messages is much easier since you can copy the image location on the right click of your mouse button. I am still not quite sure how this is done in IE.

Another thing, most popups are designed for IE, since it is far and away more used than FF. So I have yet to see a popup in FF, with IE despite having a popup blocker I get them still, especially on CNN.com and BBC.CO.UK etc.

All in all once you get used to it, and it is quick to learn, it is much easier to use than that Microsoft product.

I used Firefox for a little while last year to try out, but I had big problems with it. Every 20 seconds of so it would freeze and not respond for about 10 seconds.

My wife is like that.

I made the switch about 6 months ago. I like Mozilla Firefox better for many things, for one posting images in forum messages is much easier since you can copy the image location on the right click of your mouse button. I am still not quite sure how this is done in IE.

Another thing, most popups are designed for IE, since it is far and away more used than FF. So I have yet to see a popup in FF, with IE despite having a popup blocker I get them still, especially on CNN.com and BBC.CO.UK etc.

All in all once you get used to it, and it is quick to learn, it is much easier to use than that Microsoft product.

I switched to Firefox a couple of years ago, and would never go back to IE. So far I've converted several of my friends. I like the ease of use, and the amount to which you can personalise it with the "Add ons" such as the range of different search engines, enhanced tabbed browsing etc. Just shows how good it is when Microsoft released IE7 with many of the Firefox features.

For anyone who is interested...

Yes, I run IE7 now and have noticed the Firefox features that have been added! I'd use Firefox too, but it really is not stable on my system for some reason.

Yes, I run IE7 now and have noticed the Firefox features that have been added! I'd use Firefox too, but it really is not stable on my system for some reason.

It can be a bit of a hog if it's being pushed. Saying that, it can be even if it's not.

Being an Oldie and not aufait with everey technical advancement...it seems to me that the only people who have problems are the people seeking the latest technology.

I'm siting back with BT Broadband,google,AVG,& eon for electricity...no problem.

Others I'm hearing terrible stories.

Yes but without the young people scampering for the latest things, we'd be an email group and not a forum, and we'd all be using Sinclair Spectrums with 16 colours and a modem the size and speed of a tortoise!

Don't knock my first computer. After all it cost me my first hammered coin collection (just shows how prices have escalated) :huh:

Edited by Geordie582

I loved Spectrums, used to like to programme them in BASIC. I even wrote a programme for a maths project once to enable me to generate random numbers within a certain range and study the statistics of the resulting numbers. I got top marks for that.

I was reading Computers with the OU at the time, so it was Basic all the way!! :D

I used to love the old text RPG games on the speccy!! I remember the Hobbit well!! It was when you gave commands like open door and it would say "do not understand open" so you type unlock door only to get the message "do not understand unlock" and so on and so on, many a happy hour spent inputting 46 words for open try and find the one that had been programmed, and adjusting the volume on the casette recorder to get the game to load.....

Load"" (I think that was the correct command)

Those were the days!!

Colin G.

I had a Speccy +3 which had a disc drive!!! Super quick games loads, just as quick as a modern PC. I got quite good at hacking the tape games and dumping the code onto 3" disc so that in the end I had 20 games on an Amstrad 3" floppy.

Do you remember Elite? Now that was an amazing game, far far ahead of it's time.

You guys are aging yourselves with all this discussion of games etc that are well before my time. :D

Do you remember Elite? Now that was an amazing game, far far ahead of it's time.

AArgh! Elite! I remember playing until 3am one Christmas, then when I tried going to sleep at last I couldn't because all I could see was those bloody starfields burnt into my retinas! Happy days!

I have a Spectrum Emulator for the PC somewhere, and a program that slows your PC down so it runs Speccy stuff at the original speed. Even last year when I got hold of a copy of the original Elite, it still kept me busy for hours (once I'd re learn't what all the keys do). A superb game combining arcade shoot 'em up and commerce skills, but the most amazing thing was the size of the 'world'. You could visit countless planets and there always seemed like there were thousands more (all contained in 48k of memory, tiny even in comparison to a floppy disc)!

But....the most difficult thing wasn't the space pirates, it was landing the bloody thing in the hexagonal post box!!