British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary D

Unlisted 1/2d

Here is the unlisted, by Freeman, normal rim 1970 proof 1/2d. I don't now how scare it is but it has taken me a year to find one. I'm sure its scarcity will drop once people start to look for it.

1970.jpg

Oh great, now I am going to have to break out the 1970 proof sets to find out :rolleyes:

This is something interesting for the next CCGB. Let me clarify it first.

In Freeman 2 reverse types are noted, I and K. This is not another identifying sign of the same variety?

This coin:

http://www.predecimal.com/forsale/10/halfpenny1970.jpg

Does seem to have a thicker obverse rim, but the reverse rim isn't all that different. Is this 'normal' i.e thinner rim evident on both sides?

I've just noticed that the I in DEI appears to either point to or between beads in the 2 images posted! Unfortunately I don't have any 1970 proof halfpennies to study....Can everyone check the pointing of the I in DEI??

The most accessible of my two 1970 1/2ds is definitely wide date and 'I' of 'DEI' points to the middle of the gap between two beads. I have another which is in a set, but under piles of rubbish in the spare room, so perhaps not tonight...

Looks like this is the genuine article.

The most accessible of my two 1970 1/2ds is definitely wide date and 'I' of 'DEI' points to the middle of the gap between two beads. I have another which is in a set, but under piles of rubbish in the spare room, so perhaps not tonight...

Looks like this is the genuine article.

I did of course mean wide rim. It's late...

The simplest method to distinguish between the 2 varieties is that on the more common variety, the D in DEI points to a border bead... On the scarcer variety, the D in DEI points BETWEEN 2 border beads......

This specimen is only the 4th that I can think of that I have seen...... I've been searching for one for about 3 years now.....

I'm sure it is not THAT scarce, but most collectors are not aware of the variety, and therefore don't give an otherwise VERY COMMON coin a second look....

Since it has now been brought out in the open, and since many of you will now search for a specimen... I'll sweeten the pot as I still need a specimen myself.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

As I only need ONE specimen, AND as the coin may not turn out to be scarce at all, I will not pay that much for a second specimen.... Anyway, this should stir things up a bit......

I also need a specimen with the wider ship/rim, although Michael Gouby doesn't seem to recognize it's existance... and will make the same offer for this coin too.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

As I only need ONE specimen, AND as the coin may not turn out to be scarce at all, I will not pay that much for a second specimen.... Anyway, this should stir things up a bit......

I also need a proven specimen of F-479... which also may or may not exist, as well as a 1911, Gouby Obverse A, Reverse B...

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address.... (several of you already are aware of who I am...)

Thanks...

PS: A HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY SEASON TO ALL...... AND HAPPY HUNTING AS WELL.....

Do you mean the I of DEI, and not the D of DEI?

So there are 4 types of 1970 proof halfpenny?

1. 495A 21.5mm ship.

2. As above with wider rim/DEI 'I' to bead.

3. 495B 21.7mm ship.

4. As above with wider rim/DEI 'I' to bead.

Or it that wrong??

1. 495A 21.5mm ship.

3. 495B 21.7mm ship.

Or it that wrong??

I know nothing of the I to bead or I to gap.... I've only used the D in Dei as a guide..... and the difference is quite apparent when you compare them that way.....

The jury is still out as to whether there are 3 or 4 types. Freeman quotes 2 reverse types only. My coin at the beginning of this post is the narrow rim reverse not listed by Freeman. The narrow rim and wide rim are the same as the 1967 in that along with the rim width differences the narrow rim has the stroke of the D to a gap whereas the wider rim has the stroke of the D to bead. The wide rim variety seems to be by far the more common, but now the cat is out of the bag I'm sure they will appear more readily.

Now the remaining question is; does the 1970 as with the 1967 appear in all 4 type combinations.

Gary

The jury is still out as to whether there are 3 or 4 types. Freeman quotes 2 reverse types only. My coin at the beginning of this post is the narrow rim reverse not listed by Freeman. The narrow rim and wide rim are the same as the 1967 in that along with the rim width differences the narrow rim has the stroke of the D to a gap whereas the wider rim has the stroke of the D to bead. The wide rim variety seems to be by far the more common, but now the cat is out of the bag I'm sure they will appear more readily.

Now the remaining question is; does the 1970 as with the 1967 appear in all 4 type combinations.

Gary

I should have said the coin at the start of this post is a narrow rimmed obverse not reverse.

1. 495A 21.5mm ship.

3. 495B 21.7mm ship.

Or it that wrong??

495A and 495B are wide rim. If 2.& 4 are narrow rim. I believe mine is the 21.7mm ship reverse K but that could change.

I'm having serious problems trying to edit tonight.

1. 495A 21.5mm ship.

3. 495B 21.7mm ship.

Or it that wrong??

495A and 495B are wide rim. 2 & 4 are narrow rim with D to gap. I believe mine is the 21.7mm ship reverse K but that could change.

The simplest method to distinguish between the 2 varieties is that on the more common variety, the D in DEI points to a border bead... On the scarcer variety, the D in DEI points BETWEEN 2 border beads......

This specimen is only the 4th that I can think of that I have seen...... I've been searching for one for about 3 years now.....

I'm sure it is not THAT scarce, but most collectors are not aware of the variety, and therefore don't give an otherwise VERY COMMON coin a second look....

Since it has now been brought out in the open, and since many of you will now search for a specimen... I'll sweeten the pot as I still need a specimen myself.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

I also need a specimen with the wider ship/rim, although Michael Gouby doesn't seem to recognize it's existance... and will make the same offer for this coin too.... I'll offer $75 for the first uncirculated example that is offered for sale to me, or $45 for the first circulated example offered for sale to me....

I also need a proven specimen of F-479... which also may or may not exist, as well as a 1911, Gouby Obverse A, Reverse B...

Contact me by PM, if you need to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my email address.... (several of you already are aware of who I am...)

Thanks...

PS: A HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY SEASON TO ALL...... AND HAPPY HUNTING AS WELL.....

I now have an F-479.... The offer still stands on the others......

Thanks...

I now have an F-479.... The offer still stands on the others......

I have now acquired a specimen of the 1970 obverse 3 reverse K half penny (see attached)... Still looking for both 1970's with reverse I.......

As I now have both obverse varieties of the 1970, I will offer $50 each for the FIRST specimen of obverse 3, and obverse 4 PAIRED with REVERSE I....

Also, $50 for a circulated example of a 1911 half penny with Gouby Obverse A & Reverse B..... will pay more for an EF or better specimen......

HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

post-443-1169847978_thumb.jpg

post-443-1169847992_thumb.jpg