British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
william

Ten Shilling banknote

Does anyone collect banknotes(i don't!! ;) ) I have a George V banknote which i can't identify.

At the top it reads

UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND
Just underneath that, it says
Ten shilling Currency Notes are Legal Tender for the payment of any amount
but someone seems to have on top of that in (what i think is) Arabic. Under that, in the centre of the note, in very large lettering is
TEN SHILLINGS
Underneath that it reads
Issued by the Lord Commissioners of His Majesty's Treasury under the authority of Act of Parliament (4&5 Geo.V ch.14)
Over that is more Arabic! Underneath that on the left is written (in extremely large writing) 10/-. Next to that it reads Y22, and then it says
No.    042690
Next to that number it reads
John Bradbury
and underneath that,
Secretary to the Treasury

On the other side, someone has written

G.H.Palmer. Nov. 1915.

Can anybody identify this note, or even value it?!

Thanks,

William.

I'm not an expert on banknotes but it sounds as if what you have is a note intended for colonial use. Are you sure that the foreign language is Arabic?

Banknotes were introduced when it became untenable to maintain gold currency in circulation. Strictly speaking they were (and still are) effectively cheques or paper tokens which guaranteed that the bank would "pay the bearer on demand" the sum on the note. In 1915 we still had the gold standard, which ensured that the Bank of England had enough reserves of gold to honour all the banknotes in circulation. Eventually banknotes came to be seen as currency in their own right, although I think that wasn't made official in law until 1957.

Geoff

I believe Churchill returned Britain to the gold standard which resulted in the General Strike of 1926

Are you sure that the foreign language is Arabic?

No, but I will try and post a picture of it soon.

Ok, here it is, can anyone identify it now?

post-19-1080242332_thumb.jpg

It's huge. AH!!

Indian methinks

Thanks, can anyone confirm that for definate, or even tell me what the note was used for. Many thanks.

even tell me what the note was used for

Buying stuff duh :P

:huh: Ok, what I ment to say was where was it used. Nitpick!

Well isn't that interesting, a British note with some kind of Arabic (unless i'm very much mistaken) counter stamping. I have never seen one, and have no idea exactly where it was used. I have little to do with notes, so that isn't suprising.

:) Maybe Geoff will know....

Oh yes, Geoff knows everything ;-) Although perhaps even Geoff may have a problem with a banknote...I don't think he's into those.

Yeah, medals(and coins!) are mainly his area.

So does anybody know what it is and where it was used, value etc?

Oh yes, Geoff knows everything ;-) Although perhaps even Geoff may have a problem with a banknote...I don't think he's into those.

Or problems with minor varities of Charles II sixpences? :D

I don't think we have any banknote people here do we? I'd say go to a library and do further research, I'm sure there will be a book on it

Thanks

Isn't it wonderful being talked about behind your back :D

I don't know a thing about banknotes. When William first described this one I thought it might be issued for use in India, but the lettering looks Arabic. He could bring it to show me next time I'm at work on a Saturday but I doubt if I'll be able to help.

Sorry I've not responded sooner, but I've spent the weekend playing Mahler 5 and lovingly gazing at my newly acquired 1690 Roettiers medal of Mary II as regent.

Geoff

Thanks, i'll try and bring it in, Geoff.

Found this out about the note in question:

Great Britain Currency Note, 10 Shilling ND (series 1915-16; Pick #348) with Ottoman overprint

60 gümüþ ðuruþ / altýmýþ gümüþ ðuruþ

"Sixty silver Piastres"

Rev. blank

Pick #M1

Issued for circulation in British occupied Gallipoli, Palestine and Iraq

Thank you very much for your info, Kuhli!

I've found that note in 'Collectors' Banknotes' too. Shame it's a bit of a mess because they go for over £300 in Fine!

It's known as a Dardanelles Campaign overprint.