British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I've emailed them saying it Is a 1825 1/- in poor condition worth BV. :)

Just noticed that when selling an item for say 8.99 on fleabay that instead of it costing you the obligatory 89p (10%) they are now charding 90p, so in effect, rounding up. :angry:

Was doing some research on my new 1918 florin.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GB-1921-Florin-Two-Shillings-EF-/161227241126

I think mine is much better than EF !!!!! :P :P :ph34r:

Was doing some research on my new 1918 florin.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GB-1921-Florin-Two-Shillings-EF-/161227241126

I think mine is much better than EF !!!!! :P :P :ph34r:

No way can that be described as F ! The reverse ... maybe ... but the obverse is Fair only.

lol - the description has been changed.

It read 'EF' eight hours ago !

lol - the description has been changed.

It read 'EF' eight hours ago !

:lol: Somebody watching us, watching them, then...

The 1 in a million has been revised also. :)

I did ask a question. ^_^

Sooooooooooooo, finally ebay does something for a seller. Had a very difficult buyer recently. I had an incoming email from him about a coin on BIN. He asked how much (as they do) i just told him to use the best offer button and i'll either accept or decilne. So in Comes an offer which i duly accepted then he Comes in with another offer which i then countered. I had already given him a 60 Pounds Discount on the first and so he wants 150 off the 2nd. I countered him at just 10 Pounds less than the Price i was asking for.

In Comes another email saying that he bought the first coin so that he could also get the 2nd for the Price he's offered and he hoped we could find a way Forward, i duly declined his offer with a short note saying i could'nt find a way Forward at his Price. So on we go with the bitching which i duly replied. He then decides not to pay, so i sent a payment reminder through ebay after 4 days of non payment. He duly pays as soon as he got the reminder but then sends me an email saying "i'll be bouncing this straight back to you"

I phoned ebay asking them to look into the email and the buyer and they tell me "we'll back you 100%" With a smile on my face i then go back to the buyer and thank him for his email and he should do what he feels right. Anyway he recieves the coin on the 2nd Feb and leaves the obligatory negative saying i don't pander to ebay buyers and i'm a bad seller etc etc etc.

He then opens a case as item "not as described" and after the 8 obilgatory days of me not complying to his demands he asks ebay to decide the case. After several days i get an email from an ebay rep saying that they've asked him for Pictures of the coin and his description of why he believes the coin was'nt as graded (which was the same grade as the lockdales grrade)

Today i receive an email saying he's LOST; YES HE LOST his case. Today i feel vindicated and finally ebay does something for an ebay seller, had i lost, i would have just auctioned the whole lot and finished with it for good.

wow. I thought siding with sellers was against eBay policy? Or have they had a change of heart?

Edited by Rob

You just know what the description's going to read for this one 111286725040

Ended

Ended

What has? There's no link :(

By the look of the 20p's he's selling he is being honest about not knowing anything about coins.

By the look of the 20p's he's selling he is being honest about not knowing anything about coins.

If he only has 3 20p pieces without a date on the tails side, he can't have done much shopping in the last 5 years.

can you not Copy and Paste, Peck?

Link

1. Click on link, get taken by browser directly to webpage.
  2. key Command-[ when done, to go back.

No link

1. move mouse to beginning of eBay item number, drag through to end and then click Command-C to copy
  2. key Command-T to open new tab in browser
  3. click eBay button in browser's bookmark bar
  4. sign in to 'My eBay' (which is where the button takes me)
  5. click in eBay Search field, then key Command-V to paste eBay item number
  6. click Search
  7. key Command-[ 2 or 3 times when done, to go back.

can you not Copy and Paste, Peck?

Link

• Click on link, get taken by browser directly to webpage.
  • key Command-[ when done, to go back.

No link

• move mouse to beginning of eBay item number, drag through to end and then click Command-C to copy
  • key Command-T to open new tab in browser
  • click eBay button in browser's bookmark bar
  • sign in to 'My eBay' (which is where the button takes me)
  • click in eBay Search field, then key Command-V to paste eBay item number
  • click Search
  • key Command-[ 2 or 3 times when done, to go back.
You could just paste it directly into the eBay home page, you don't have to sign in.

It's a real pain for iPhone uses, as eBay will not let you take a link! It's possible to add links for just about every other webpage you come across, just not the eBay pages for some reason!

Really sorry about that, Peck, it does rely on others kindly adding the link, which I myself always do for others if I'm on a PC and have viewed the eBay item in question! It's a nightmare, don't be cross with us poor smartphone users! I still want to join in! :(;):)

Sorry Peck! I always have an eBay tab open anyway, so I kind of assumed everyone works like me. Not the case, of course.

For me it would be:

1. move mouse to beginning of eBay item number, drag through to end and then click Ctrl-C to copy

2. switch to ebay tab that is already there

3. click in eBay Search field, then key Ctrl-V to paste eBay item number and hit Enter

Link

No link
  • move mouse to beginning of eBay item number, drag through to end and then click Command-C to copy
  • click Search
You could just paste it directly into the eBay home page, you don't have to sign in.

It's a real pain for iPhone uses, as eBay will not let you take a link! It's possible to add links for just about every other webpage you come across, just not the eBay pages for some reason!

Really sorry about that, Peck, it does rely on others kindly adding the link, which I myself always do for others if I'm on a PC and have viewed the eBay item in question! It's a nightmare, don't be cross with us poor smartphone users! I still want to join in! :(;):)

Then I'd have to have the steps :

3. type 'eBay.co.uk' into Google

4. click the eBay page in the list of Google links on page 1

You see, my bookmark, unsurprisingly, takes me to MY eBay where I have to sign in - if I didn't want to go to my eBay, I'd have to search for eBay in Google. Makes sense, right?

This was the one Peck:

link

Thanks Paulus.

Sorry Peck! I always have an eBay tab open anyway, so I kind of assumed everyone works like me. Not the case, of course.

For me it would be:

1. move mouse to beginning of eBay item number, drag through to end and then click Ctrl-C to copy

3. click in eBay Search field, then key Ctrl-V to paste eBay item number and hit Enter

I don't a have a permanent tab open for eBay (it would just add to Safari's bloat, along with iPlayer, TV Guide, two other forums, Facebook - I try to keep the number of open tabs to the minimum possible, but I still have to quit Safari and relaunch sometimes when my RAM is nearly all used up.) I rarely go to eBay except for what you guys post in this forum, or the once-in-a-blue-moon that I buy some household item.

My Desktop is always ridiculously busy....

just now:

2 Explorer windows : coin photos folder and coin literature folder

Chrome with 11 open tabs:

- BBC Weather (so I can see if I can skive gardening this morning)

- Gmail inbox

- Twitter

- My website's backoffice

- Predecimal unread posts

- This conversation

- the interesting JNCoins 1860 penny conversation

- thesaleroom.com

- PayPal

- eBay

- and I'm keeping an eye on Kharkov in the Ukraine, because I'm not entirely one-dimensional!

2 Excel spreadsheets

Firefox with 4 open tabs

- my snipe engine

- my Watch List

- Ending Soonest

- Tony Clayton

(if you use two browsers, eBay doesn't notice that you're signed in as two IDs on the same computer, so I can be a seller on Chrome, and be logged in under my buying ID in FireFox)

2 test files in Notepad

- eBay blacklist

- some HTML I'm working on

Turbo Lister

Adobe Reader with Bramah in it.

and that's a fairly quiet start to the morning!

Link

No link
  • click Search

Then I'd have to have the steps :

3. type 'eBay.co.uk' into Google

4. click the eBay page in the list of Google links on page 1

You see, my bookmark, unsurprisingly, takes me to MY eBay where I have to sign in - if I didn't want to go to my eBay, I'd have to search for eBay in Google. Makes sense, right?

This was the one Peck:

link

Thanks Paulus.

For me it would be:

I don't a have a permanent tab open for eBay (it would just add to Safari's bloat, along with iPlayer, TV Guide, two other forums, Facebook - I try to keep the number of open tabs to the minimum possible, but I still have to quit Safari and relaunch sometimes when my RAM is nearly all used up.) I rarely go to eBay except for what you guys post in this forum, or the once-in-a-blue-moon that I buy some household item.

Just add ebay as a favourite then launch and paste the id number into the search at the top. Simples.

Just add ebay as a favourite then launch and paste the id number into the search at the top. Simples.

But I already HAVE eBay as a bookmark! As I said, it takes me to My eBay - the sign in page. As my bookmarks bar is full, with Pinterest, my blog, Library Thing, MacWorld, Audible, another forum, a writers' social network, iPlayer, Artwiculate, another forum, TV guide, Twitter, Facebook, here, a Writers' forum, Apple, Google Maps, YouTube, Wikipedia, another forum... why would I want TWO eBay bookmarks and where would I fit them????????

But I already HAVE eBay as a bookmark! As I said, it takes me to My eBay - the sign in page. As my bookmarks bar is full, with Pinterest, my blog, Library Thing, MacWorld, Audible, another forum, a writers' social network, iPlayer, Artwiculate, another forum, TV guide, Twitter, Facebook, here, a Writers' forum, Apple, Google Maps, YouTube, Wikipedia, another forum... why would I want TWO eBay bookmarks and where would I fit them????????

My bookmark takes me straight to Coins British. The search bar is then at the top of the page and if i want to sign in I hit hit sign in at the top left.