British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

That's a beauty! Yours?

Yes, thank you! Had it for a while now.

Yes very nice !

Can't see much wear there, is it aUNC or UNC ? (just out of interest as I am trying to improve my grading).

cheers

Garrett.

It would be EF in my opinion. A small amount of wear to the fingers around the trident is the most obvious sign on this coin.

ok thanks, on a closer look I can see that.

This is listed as a penny, but is actually a farthing. Any idea why it's attracting so much interest? I know the 1845 halfpenny is rare, but the farthings aren't. A case of mistaken identity, or am I missing something?

I had a friend who, years ago, found an old musket ball and brought it to the pub! The obvious chat was 'wow' 'rare' 'valuable' and then also was the view of the correct but doubting Thomas's! For the doubters he listed it on eBay and sold it for £50 I think it was?? He's still got it today! ;)

It would be EF in my opinion. A small amount of wear to the fingers around the trident is the most obvious sign on this coin.

Thanks again, just took the time to consult Chris's you-beaut grading book and yes, EF is definately the go.

I'll check the book first next time !

This is listed as a penny, but is actually a farthing. Any idea why it's attracting so much interest? I know the 1845 halfpenny is rare, but the farthings aren't. A case of mistaken identity, or am I missing something?

Coins of GB list a large date variety 1845 farthing as 90 pounds in Fine.

Spink don't mention it.

I've no idea whether this is a large date (no time to research just now, popped in for a chat at lunch but must be off :) ).

cheers Garrett.

bugger

To quote Churchill, KBO Peter! :)

If you're correct Garrett, It's amazing that farthing collectors notice a coin listed as a penny! It would never occur to me I should scan the farthings, just in case!

yep - just doubled checked and that's what the book says.

Also comparing the pic with the pic on "about farthings" it is indeed a large date !

A couple of lads obviously know their farthings ! (well better than me anyway :mellow: )

cheers

Garrett.

If you're correct Garrett, It's amazing that farthing collectors notice a coin listed as a penny! It would never occur to me I should scan the farthings, just in case!

It's likely to be collectors of copper & bronze, I'd imagine, rather than just farthing collectors.

I must have over 100 musket balls.All fired by Charles 1 no doubt ;)

Did you get it Peter? The price didn't increase, despite this discussion, so I presume they're not that rare?

I was tempted but I passed on this one.

I thought it looked like a standard small date, the numbers aren't close enough to the border for it to be a large date?

Large date Farthing

post-5660-0-10565800-1390238229_thumb.jp

Edited by just.me

small and large date comparison (sorry about quality, iPhone camera and also large date is in a flip.)

post-5660-0-76165000-1390238478_thumb.jp

When it gets there and the buyer finds out it's a farthing, there'll be tears.

Often the small coins are assumed to be pennies by uninitiated sellers!

Edited by declanwmagee

I agree it is not a large date farthing, the description is deceiving because it is the 45 that is larger than the norm..someone got seriously burnt on that one.

Declan

How is the non smoking thing going?

in my youth days we used Smartie tubes as a roach.

Good one guys and thanks for the correction.

Declan

Still going strong, Peter!

17 days since I smoked properly, and 13 since my last puff (which wasn't strictly tobacco, but I'm not risking smoking that either this early on....too risky).

Money seems to be behaving very strangely - appears to arrive in my pocket and stay there. It's never done that before...

When it gets there and the buyer finds out it's a farthing, there'll be tears.

Often the small coins are assumed to be pennies by uninitiated sellers!

Considering the nearest sized coin is a 1 pee, I suppose you can understand it.

Declan

17 days since I smoked properly, and 13 since my last puff (which wasn't strictly tobacco, but I'm not risking smoking that either this early on....too risky).

Money seems to be behaving very strangely - appears to arrive in my pocket and stay there. It's never done that before...

Excellent Declan

I still treat myself to a Cuban or a camberwell

Declan

Excellent Declan

I still treat myself to a Cuban or a camberwell

Yes, I don't mind getting to that stage - a treat, rather than a need. It was being a slave to Old Nick I didn't like...